1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patterson impressive in first significant action

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 31, 2010.

1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I kinda disagree with that. I think that's what separates the good players from the great players. Great players don't take possessions off, and go all-out on every possession.

But you're absolutely right as far being able to maintain the intensity for long periods of time which is why I Martin's minutes are starting to come down. Earlier in the season he was having to play big minutes because of injuries, but was very ineffective in the 4th.

Now with a healthier squad, his minutes are down, but production is pretty much the same, but he's performing better in the 4th.

Sometimes it just comes down to the players' stamina. I think its something they should all incorporate in their off season workouts.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You think of high energy players and they are almost always bench players or rookies. It's not about "taking possessions off" - not at all.

It's about being efficient with your actions. It's not trying to go after a rebound you have 1% chance of getting when you are effectively boxed out and saving that burst for another moment. It's part of basketball IQ. You won't see Kobe try to chase down someone who stole the ball every time. He knows if he can't get them he'll follow along just enough to get the rebound in case he misses. Unless it's the playoffs.

How many times do you see players fall flat towards the end of the game after a huge first half? It happens a lot. I am not saying you don't play hard every minute you are in the game, just that you also play smart. And there is play hard, and then there is reaching deep and pulling something extra out - and you can't do that except in small bursts.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

True, but it's a sliding scale.

On one end of the spectrum was Jordan, who played like a rabid attack dog and did anything to win. He was more talented and gave more effort in the aggregate. He might have paced himself, but good/effective players give more effort to chase down those 1% or 10% loose balls, while the marginal ones "save energy"

On the other end of the spectrum is Joe Barry Carroll.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am just saying there is a level you an play at that's not sustainable even for elite athletes. And you have to be smart about it. That's what makes a guy like Kobe and Jordan so amazing. If you watch Jordan play, especially as he got older, you will see that he doesn't move and rests on an offensive possession but waits. When he moves he moves with the amount of energy he needs to get open - no more no less.

Players who just blow their energy out will tire out. That's what you saw with Landry - he just went nuts, but as soon as he got more PT he just tired out and it took him a while to figure it out.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Good movie! :grin: :grin:

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Patrick Patterson needs to start at center while Chuck Hayes is out (and of course Yao Ming is done for the year). Jordan Hill is not up to the task, and Patterson has already shown that he is a better defender and rebounder than Hill is.

Jordan Hill plays really well with Brad Miller, but unfortunately does not appear to pair very well with Luis Scola at all. Patterson on the other hand appears to be largely unaffected by who he is partnered with in the paint.

The Rockets looked awful tonight in Portland, by the way.

7. PeppermintCandy

Patterson seems to be able to play inside or out depending on the situation. Hill on the other hand has forced Scola to step out to the high post, I think.

But is Patterson ready to handle a starting role?

8. mazinger

mazinger Member

Neither is Hill but it PPat starting is better since that allows Hill to play with Miller.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patterson is better than Jordan Hill.

He needs to start with Scola.

Brad Miller helps Jordan out a lot.

10. PeppermintCandy

I agree with you, but I'm not sure Adelman would be comfortable sticking a rookie into the starting lineup during a pivotal stretch of games. Patterson's poised but he's only played in two real games.

I do think keeping Patterson out there in the second quarter of the Portland game and putting him on Aldridge was Adelman's way of testing Patterson out.

11. Htown's2kFinest

He seems like a better rebounder than I thought esp on the defensive boards. 10 rebs in this game and his last one. Hopefully he can keep this up.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Double digit rebounding two games in a role. That's pretty impressive. The coach told him to rebound. That exactly what he did. I love this guy!

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

This guy could become a low post animal/workhorse. I haven't see the Rockets have a guy like that since Otis Thorpe.

The guys has been good for 10 boards in every game so far (with lesser minutes!)

The difference between Hill and Pat (not the only one btw) is Pat has an NBA ready body and an NBA polished game. Hill needs to get stronger and of course more polished, Hill will develop 2-3 years from now. Pat walked in the door ready.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Another good game from 2Pat tonight. Keep it up young man. Great stuff so far. Take Hill and Hayes minutes.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He plays big underneath, uses his shoulders and body well, we need that from someone....

I would probably start him over Hill and let Jordan and Brad go back to the 2nd unit.....together....until Chuck is healthy.

I think PPat is a little more court aware than Hill.

DD

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

4 offensive rebounds from 2Pat tonight against a very big and solid Portland front line, expect big things from this kid, he plays hard, has a good polished offensive game, and just knows how to play the game, lets see where Adleman goes with his minutes.

17. Roxs-Redemption

Great Highlights, Clutch