1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patterson impressive in first significant action

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 31, 2010.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Patterson looks like he belongs in the rotation.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I agree with this in concept generally, although I'm not going to hate on Hill or hype PPatt quite as much as you are.

The fact is, Jordan Hill is the closest thing to a center the Rockets have this side of Brad Miller. And I have actually been pleasantly surprised by Hill's production this year (although that's because I had VERY low expectations for him). I think Hill's getting minutes because he has EARNED those minutes; but at the same time, I agree that he is not a guy the Rockets WANT to build around.

Patterson, on the other hand, is viewed as a solid building block. The primary backup PF for the long-term, to play behind Scola. He's been stuck behind Scola, Hayes and a guy with an extra year of experience on him.

Now, there may be a little bit of showcasing going on with Hill, but I doubt that Adelman would risk the playoffs on showcasing a player for trade.

Bottom line: Patterson > Hill.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Don't you think its a little strange that the Rockets would be so excited and cheering to draft a long-term backup in the lottery?

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They were looking for a PF who could defend and rebound. Hill wasn't going to be enough. Luis hadn't been re-signed as yet.

5. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Seriously, i am impressed. If he keeps it up and develops, he can really be great.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Morey's gone on record as saying that Patterson could likely develop into a starting caliber PF in the NBA. A good starter, even.

But let's not kid ourselves here. Luis Scola cracks the top 10 PFs in the league.

If your PF combination is Scola/Patterson going forward, your team is set at that position.

What's not to get excited about?

7. everyday eddie

Patterson I think MIGHT not have the ceiling a player like Favors has but is a safer bet to be a solid consistent contributor with the potential to be special.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

That may be true, but it certainly doesn't make Jordan Hill a center. Or an effective one is what I mean. It only means we have an utter dearth of actual centers. Something we all knew.

The truth is, I am surprised as well. And he HAS showed marked improvement in skill level. However, neither mine nor your statement is an actual complement. You are only surprised because you had "VERY" low expectations, and he has only improved his skill level from NO skill level.

This is what I think: with everything considered the two players are probably around the same level. Patterson is probably the better player, but he is certainly not so head and shoulders better where Adelman is risking playoffs if he played Hill instead.

I'm not sure Hill has actually EARNED those minutes from sheer superior play. I think it is more, if it doesn't hurt too bad to play the one we are willing to trade, why not? I mean, the alternative would be NOT playing Hill, and have him stuck with us as we watch his trade value go in the pooper.

If that is true, then if not exactly "show casing" it is pretty close.

Also, I'm not sure how I am "hating" on Hill, or "hyping" Patterson. Which parts of their game that I described do you not agree with, specifically?

#48 CXbby, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  9. trugoy

trugoy Member

Great point, I think Hill will be the centrepiece for a defensive C trade, something like Nene or VareJao for Hill + JJ.

10. highstep

highstep Member

Does anyone else think that he can become our enforcer type player? He has good size, sets strong picks and can rebound well. He also never smiles, rule 1 of opponent intimidation.

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

I wouldn't say that Patterson > Hill right now, but I would say Patterson has a higher ceiling than Hill. Hill has all the physical tools, but he just doesn't have a good feel for the game, that will limit him to relying on his athleticism and having a ceiling of Wilcox.

Patterson could really get to be as good as Boozer with more defense or a rich man's Udonis Haslem.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. herro

herro Member

The man needs more minutes

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Another move by Morey is looking good. My only problem with the guy are the monikers flung at him on the board. Pat Pat and 2Pat? Come on, folks, does this dude really look like a Pat Pat?? I think not. Patrick, Pat, or Patterson will do for me until a good nick evolves for Mr. Patterson.

Great job, as always, Clutch. Happy New Year!

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I like him. He is solid, but I do not think he is anything like Carl Landry.

I also think that Jordan Hill has more potential.

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Awesome game from Pat Pat. This reminds me of his summer league debut where he beasted then in the next games he failed to live up to that start. I dont expect 15-10 every game but I hope he shows more consistancy then Hill.

Pat Pat just gave the Rockets perfect New Years Gift. Thanks Pat Pat and Happy New Years to all my fellow Rockets fans.

17. mrjuandiego1988

very solid rookie hope if something does go down we keep hill and patterson

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's what makes it good. Patterson definitely is not a Pat Pat. See the interview I posted? The guy is the most serious human on the team, totally devoid of joy and personality. The guy was about to chastise Shane Battier and Brad Miller for their immature prank.

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Oh yeah one other thing. I love his character and attitude, I have noticed this since we drafted him. Look at his comments after the game: -

“I know Chuck is a huge part of this team,” said Patterson of Hayes. “I just wanted to come out and do as best as I could to fill that void whenever my name is called upon. Coaches kept saying, ‘rebound, rebound, Keep doing as much as you can, provide a lot of energy, run up and down the court’ and that’s what I wanted to do.”

This guy is a lottery pick and has fully accepted the fact that he might not see game time. But he will still do his best when called upon instead of whinging and sulking. Most other picks are getting more minutes than him but he is still cool about it. I think he has some leadership qaualities here to build upon. Batman, hayes, Miller should be awesome role models for him. Way to go Pat, lead by example.

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I like it..