1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patrick Beverley, James Harden, Jeremy Lin after Rockets' 96-95 win over Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 24, 2013.

1. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Well, it's true! The whole team knows that they thrive off layups and threes; the players know when they end up having to take a lower percentage shot.

I think he was trying to compliment Harden, "It was a contested, long mid range jumper and he got bumped while in the air (definitely low percentage), but James is amazing and nailed." Just didn't come out right. :)

2. wendzall

wendzall Member

it sucks to come to clutch-garm to try to enjoy how well the rockets did last night and instead you have to wade through all the negativity and ugly criticisms.

3. sean joh

sean joh Member

everybody forgot that PB was drafted in 2009 which was one year earlier than Lin (although he was undrafted on 2010). Basically, Lin is more rookie than PB.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wish someone had asked Jeremy about that after the game. It would have been a nice question.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The head coach shouldn't be thinking about why his team signed a player. His sole focus should be winning the game. Especially in big games in the stretch run of the season and into the playoffs.

Disagree with the choice if you think a different player gives us a better chance to win at the end of the game. But lets not bring in other stuff like player development or who has the bigger contract. Frankly, at this time of the year, that's irrelevant.

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

The benching of Lin was fine. Bev performed today and we won, so it's all good.
    The thing I didn't like was the offense reverting back to Harden-isos. Yes, I love Harden, yes, he's our superstar, yes we won, yes his isos are sometimes awesome, but the passing off as soon as Lin crosses the half court line to eventually get it back to Harden, was clearly done on the orders of McHale and reminiscent of our play style during our losing streak. That, i dont like. What happened to the high pnrs for Lin, what happened to our fast flowing game? Even in wins, I can criticize certain aspects of the game with the ultimate goal of trying to figure out what we need to do to win. And I don't like McHale's tendency to revert back to Harden ball as much as I love Harden. I hate Kobe for the same reason (though obviously Harden is much better and more efficient.)
    Having said that, Lin trucked it tonight, and even if we gave him plays, he may have squandered it as he wasnt on his game and Bev performed and we won so no real complaints. Just grumblings from someone who desperately wants us to win not just today but here on out.
    Love the win though. No ifs ands or buts about that.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

What a surprise...we beat one of the best teams in the league and LOFs are complaining about McHale sitting Lin. So unpredictable.

8. sean joh

sean joh Member

if lin + douglas could work, lin +PB could as well. also it help to reduce Harden's ridiculous mins.....

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

When Lin is turnover prone, like he was tonight, McHale goes with Beverly, or Harden at the point.

10. raskol

Even in wins, there are things that can be fixed. Nothing wrong with sitting Lin today. But people can't debate it without being called names or being ridiculed? Even in blowout wins like the last game, people criticized Lin in the last game. And D-Mo too. But its almost like McHale's untouchable now when it comes to anything related to Lin without being flamed or ridiculed.

Anyways, great game. I'm happy for Bev, that's a good kid right there Abd I'm happy for him. Let's do it again next time and I hope Bev keeps it up and does even better throughout the remainder of the season.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

You know what turned the series around last playoffs between Spurs and Thunder? By switching Sefolosha on Parker in Game 3. Parker then ran around like a headless chicken!

How to stop Spurs offense? Just chop off its head!

12. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

I thought Lin played fairly well this game to be honest, the stats sheet doesn't always show it. Even when he has a lesser game he has a good contribution by making smart decisions.
    Beverly played well also.
    I want Lin to play at the ends of games whether he's been playing great or not, he is a winner and a closer.

13. raskol

Oops... Sorry bout that double post

14. raskol

Agreed. It's the coaches decision in terms if who gets to play but were I the coach I would've stuck with Lin everytime. His contributions are not bring properly being appreciated and have not been appreciated since the beginning. Quite obvious.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Spurs defense. They always get back on transition d, thus limiting our fast break opportunities, Lin's specialty. That's the reason I hate playing against them as they play near mistake-free bb.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Linconsistency is the only reason he gets benched at the end of games.

Look Lin is young. he's still learning. In many ways, PB is more experienced. He has 4 years pro experience to really Lin's 1.

Lin is going to be find. He hesitates too much and second guesses himself a bit much. But there's a reason why he's a starter - and that's because he runs the offense better. You won't see Bev do that too much. He needs Harden in there even if he is the one bringing the ball up.

But I definitely would not just stick with a guy. Go with the guy with the hot hand and playing really well. Tonight, Bev played better than Jlin. Nothing to help a young player like Lin work harder than having a guy gunning for his spot.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

And a lot of us, including me, consider it the biggest weakness in Adelman's coaching style.

Sticking with your superstars is one thing, because they draw coverage just by being out there, but everyone else should be fair game.

18. raskol

Good post.

19. jocar

jocar Member

Asik finally gave a post game interview!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/El_mA5bY1kc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Translation:

20. vicykandy

vicykandy Member

I do agree with the coach should do everything he can help the team to win.
    But what if Bev did not do well and we ended up losing, should we then say why did he bench Lin in the final 3 min?

Other than that I just cannot agree with everything you stated. I think Lin is only used for the marketing purpose, the coach and his team clearly does not want to foster him into a real core player. So they want to limit Lin's play time that way he cannot really perform well, so by the time to trade him his value will be low and Rockets can match it.

And with the publicity and some other guy "gunning for his spot" will only put more pressure on him, I don't think he's as happy as he was back in the Knicks, he was a player no one rooted for. So it's time for Lin to go and find a team who will really believe in him!! Rockets fooled him!