1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patrick Beverley, James Harden, Jeremy Lin after Rockets' 96-95 win over Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Sometimes you have to take your starters out if they aren't playing up to par one night. A lot of HOF coaches have done it and do it to this day. If its better for the TEAM, then that's what you do.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

can't we just enjoy the win?

3. pnr

pnr Member

^ Yes, we're all sad that the Rox just beat the best team in the NBA...

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

exactly.

I find it ironic that Lin fans complain about not always going with your starters and trying new things. If every coach went that way he'd still be riding the bench for the knicks.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would definitely pull the starter if he isn't having a good game, especially if you have a capable backup at that position. In some cases there is a large drop off in talent between the starter and the backup, so that might play into my decision. But generally speaking, I want a coach to go with the hot hand.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Same, I only go with chocobo's thinking when it comes to superstar players, since it's important to keep them happy, but even then not in every case.

7. jocar

jocar Member

Lin and Bev combo on the floor had some nice flow. I hope we get to see that a bit more often when Beard needs a rest.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Lin isnt a basketball superstar though (marketing superstar diff story)

Beverly had a great game tonight - the time of game a bench player has like 5-7 times a year - like he could do really no wrong out there.

There has been plenty of times where Bev hasnt played like this and Lin finished the game out. Outside of guys like Asik (who anchors the D) and Harden - you should always go with hot hand down the stretch

Though I feel McHale hasnt really found out how to properly use Lin given the other players around him. Lin is at his best when in the open court and playing super fast -- the 1/2 court doesnt suit him as much. IMO once the Rockets secure a defensive rebound it should go to Lin and let him push push push and if its not there then settle it down and let Harden create.

9. nbafever

nbafever Member

using the camera as a mirror

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Camera as a mirror, every game. @<a href="https://twitter.com/jharden13">jharden13</a> <a href="https://t.co/8BXLTjjjfL" title="https://vine.co/v/bDU0AaQQgeA">vine.co/v/bDU0AaQQgeA</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/316007285132517376">March 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. instar

instar Member

LOL HARDEN

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

That's what I'm saying. You only give superstars the "not ever gonna bench him no matter what" treatment, not just any starter.

12. borednsleepy

borednsleepy Member

No Asik interview? Why was there a JLin interview after each game? spokeperson?

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

neither Lin or Beverley could guard Parker.

i wasn't happy with Parsons on Parker either but it worked out well

someone said it in the gamethread. they have to guard Parker as a team.

send help and rotate.

but whateve. a win is a win

#33 mvpcrossxover, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  14. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

Hope you understand +\- stats mean absolutely nothing. Anyway though your main point was right Lin was struggling and it was good to let Beverly close the game out.

15. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Asik did give a post game interview. It's up on rockets.com.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Greatly coached game by Mchale

17. Anxiety Trooper

Lin = $$

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i like it, normally when the rockets outscore their opponent, even if it is just by 1 point we win.

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Lin just reminded me why I liked him in the first place - there are so many better players, but he's honest and humble. As he said, Patrick gave us a huge lift, especially at the night he didn't do anything.

The kid is confident, not afraid to own up to his mistakes. I didn't go to the game thread after the game, as I could imagine how a few would go on and on about rotation consistency or starters' confidence.

This IS NOT a good time to blame/question the coach's decision, after such a difficult win, while Lin disappointed, especially himself.

Let's enjoy the win and look forward to the next.

20. torocan

torocan Member

Asik does interviews every once in a while, but darned if I can hear what he's saying. The pitch of his voice is so low sometimes I wonder if only dogs can hear him.

I suspect that may be why he doesn't get more interviews post-game...