1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] No hesitation: In one play, Troy Daniels answers the call and Jeremy Lin finds redempti

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 26, 2014.

1. neostars

neostars Member

This place is a ****hole. Cant wait til lin leaves after 2015.
    the amount of hate for this good kid is terrible. Every little mistake he makes he gets roast call crap, loser all sort of ****.

1 person likes this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris Member

Just ignore Jocar and add him to ignore list. All his posts are low quality and only about Lin baiting/trolling.

3. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

As evidenced by your signature. Guess what, look at his join date, what a great representative of true rockets fans.

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree with this. Lin had a clear path to the basket. 95% of the time it goes over and the game is over. With 50 seconds left I think its arguable whether delaying or going for it was the right play. Out this way, if there were 50 seconds left and Linwas standing alone under the basket should be delay or out the ball in the basket. He had a clear path to the basket. That was a really high percentage shot 90-95%. Rockets could have defended that transition 3 even if he failed. But if he succeeded the game was over.

5. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

"U asians always trying to bash on Harden coz he's better than Lin at everything :/"

whoever that repped me that

I'm not trying to bash on Harden, I was just stating the point that anything bad always go to Lin, anything little is going to be a thread about it.

6. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

7. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

All of Daniels' shots were assisted. Two of his 3 threes made happened to have come from Lin's assists.

Do you think Daniels could make any threes if no one pass him the ball?

Or would you say Harden got bailed out when he made an assist?

You surely know how to turn a positive contribution into something negative.

And you argument about Harden is just as ridiculous. No, we won't be down by 37 points even if Harden was out last night. We happened to have won most of the games when he DNP this season.

8. tada

tada Member

Even though I disagree with Clutch in regards to Lin's end of regulation drive, I do believe his assessment was fair. However, this site is so bitter and divided, I am not too sure where their alliance lies. It is true that LOFs were rampant and problematic at the beginning. However, I now find LOHs to be more problematic.
    To me, aggressive Lin is good thing for the Rockets and overall he does more good than bad. Give him credit for showing up in the playoffs and making things happen, instead of nitpicking and b****ing about every mistake he makes. I am more worried about Harden and Parsons who have yet to show up in the playoffs. That's what this forum needs to focus on...

9. cindylang95

cindylang95 Member

VERY GOOD POINTS! :p

10. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

JOCAR: Lin's pass to Daniels for the 3 is a very dumb decision. :confused: :confused:

I am betting my last centavo you are a minority in this opinion.

I agree with Clutch and also my thought at the time, the steal/recovery is the bigger play.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Or, I dunno he just saw Daniels open and hit him?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I watched Lin's "dumb" play again and I actually don't think he made a bad decision right from the outset. He was going slow to burn the clock after he got the ball from Howard. Then he needed to beat Lillard's trap on the sideline so he hurried up to cross the mid court. You can see his head was down when he blew past Lillard crossing the mid court line. THEN he looked up and saw nobody was between him and the basket and decided to go all the way. The problem was of course he didn't make the layup.

In other words, it's not like he was unaware of the clock situation. He just saw an opportunity of an easy basket and went for it but bungled the easy basket. To use Clutch's football analogy, it's not a deliberate fake punt on 4th and 5. It's more like a QB who changes an original clock killing running play to a passing play by audible because he saw a wide open passing play with the defense's configuration. But he bungled the easy pass and got intercepted.

13. downbytheriver

again, for the 20th time... hardcore fans have also preached the shortcomings of Rafer Alston. Rod Strickland. Mo Taylor. Eddie Griffin. Please stop taking it personally and realize we want the best quality basketball out there

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

Wait hold up... You're telling me, that with a 3 pt lead, 50 sec left on clock, if Portland decides to NOT play defense and say "here's an open layup. Score your two points so we can get the ball back", you would declined and tell them you'd rather burn off the clock?? Because that's essentially what it was. It was an open, easy layup that Lin (or any nba player) would make 9 out of 10. you would rather burn off 15 seconds then take a gimme two?? If Portland had fouled you at that point would you refuse the free throws? Of course not, and that shot had a higher percentage of going in then a free throw.

We're not talking about a contested jumper, or even an open jumper. We're talking about the easiest two that he happened to miss. You take the easy two every. Single. Time. No matter what the clock says.

15. Fighton

Fighton Member

Or even using his fake punt analogy - if you knew your fake punt had a 90% chance of succeeding, would you do it? The fake punt analogy only works if it's a high risk play. The layup that Lin took was a very low risk and very high reward play.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

Wow, I was coming to post something similar. I couldn't disagree more with Clutch's analogy (no disrespect), and couldn't agree more with yours.

Lin made a good decision, he just blew a layup. Up one possession with 45 seconds on the clock is NOT a "the clock is your friend" scenario. You're going to have to score or stop them before the game ends.

Gimme a wide open layup attempt with 45 seconds to go over a desperation heave at the shot clock buzzer 100 times out of 100.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, you wouldn't do the fake punt even if it had a 90% chance. The high risk is not about how likely it might fail. It's about how bad the consequence is if it fails. In Clutch's analogy, no team would try a fake punt deep in your own territory when you are up not because it would likely fail but because if it failed the consequence would be serious.

That said, Lin's play, if failed would not be as bad as a failed fake punt deep in your territory. The layup was not tried under our own basket. So I guess Clutch's analogy was a bit exaggerated.

18. Fighton

Fighton Member

Good point. And for what it's worth, Lin said today that he would take that shot every single time. Right handed open layup. It's a good shot and he doesn't care what anyone else says. He was surprised that it didn't go in - thought there was a goal tend or something.

19. hollywoodMarine

Morey, himself, pretty much tweeted that passing to Daniels was good decision making by Lin

20. BonziWellsGOAT

"Today we spell redemption, L-I-N."

-Wes Mantooth