1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Rockets lack third-best player on a championship team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He (Dwight) hasn't been so far, but if we want him to play like the post presence we have wanted all along , he is going to be demanding the ball a lot more. Parsons is the perfect complement and I think we should keep faith in him, he is already a borderline all star and will only get better. It highly unlikely we will sign another star and Parsons (who will command over 10 mil on the market easily..) so I think a stretch 4 and some sharp shooters are the best additions for this team.

2. Clarinetmonster

I think Parsons is probably good enough as a 3rd option on a championship team - case in point - How far off are his #'s from Chris Bosh's the last 2 years?

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it's hard not to see Parsons as the number 3 guy at this point.

Question with this team really is whether or not Bev/Lin can cut it as the pg combo.
    And whether or not Harden can deal with great defensive stoppers.

Amazingly Jones might be a great pf. And Dmo might be a great backup.

All this team needs really is a better bench.

4. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Lol, another thread to take pot shots at Lin

5. Clarinetmonster

Yes, that is a question mark - but I would love to see them both stick around and be given a chance to answer that question in the playoffs. Unless Morey can get a clear upgrade at the PG spot, I think a quickly developing Bev and a resurgent Lin make up a great 1-2 punch.

6. Penetrate&Creat

I wonder how Parsons feels about this. Hell even Lin.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

As much as Parsons wants to be a star, he is not there yet. I personally don't know if he will ever realistically become one either. He might be a fringe all-star where he makes a couple of appearances, but Parsons simply lacks the physical dominance or elite weapons to make him a star IMO. Currently his weapons are:

- Great shooting
    - Solid defender
    - Great pump fake
    - Basketball IQ
    - Good height
    - Good passer
    - Decent rebounding

Of those weapons, I only really consider his pump fake, shot, and IQ as being close to elite. That said, Parsons has continuously improved dramatically each year, so I am definitely not putting it past him. Honestly though, I feel TJones has a higher chance of becoming a star caliber player than Parsons

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Forgot to add Good Athleticism to that list.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

To add, I consider Parsons a much less athletic version of Odom but much, much smarter.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

We just need a bench and to let our guys mature.

Right now our bench kinda blows. It will improve if/when Asik returns, but we have a huge gaping hole at both wing positions.

Imagine if we could somehow get Afflalo, we would be unstoppable.

11. Clarinetmonster

I get this - but TJones a star?? Am I not seeing something that other are - yes, he's a very good athlete with good size and quickness, but the bball IQ is not there, the shooting is very far from there the passing is not really there (although he almost never does it so, who knows) and the D is ok not great - he's a raw hustle player - I think he'll develop into a VERY good player and have a wonderful career, but in a league where LMA is not starting in the ASG I just don't ever see him being the 1st or 2nd option on even a decent team. You have to have something elite to do that.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

ok, you are REALLY stretching it.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It's just my personal gut feeling. Obviously I would love for Parsons to develop into a star as he is my favorite player on the team. Could be a stretch, but I feel that TJones can turn out to be very special personally.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Thats fair. My gut tells me Parsons is going to be an integral part of this team for years to come tbh.

15. dje243

dje243 Member

Good call. I think with the back spasms and the rise of TJones he has kind of flown under the radar a little bit this season. His numbers are up across the board though.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Seems maybe Parsons has used it as motivation.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, if we have a 3rd star, wouldn't we no longer have to rely on Dwight's off-and-on inconsistent post game?

And Morey's not trading Parsons anyway, so he doesn't really factor into the discussion.

18. Clarinetmonster

I remember interviews in the beginning of the season where he said that his goal was to step up his play this season to fulfill that role as the 3rd member of the big 3. If Bosh is any kind of a benchmark for 3rd member of a big 3, their #'s are very close - with an edge in scoring and assists going to Parsons and rebounding favoring Bosh.

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Who are the other third best players on championship quality teams? Bosh, Ginobili/ Leonard, Ibaka and West. As far as production I feel like Parsons is already on that level. Am I seeing this wrong?

20. Clarinetmonster

I'm with you - hence my post up there ^