1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Rockets lack third-best player on a championship team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 15, 2014.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I guess that depends. Does a big 3 have to be an offensive presence? I am pretty sure Indy and OKC consider Hibbert and Ibaka as part of their "Big 3" and those guys are definitely not stars.

2. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Interesting comments by Morey. Very revealing. It suggests that a bigger trade could be in the works...say a package with Parsons, Lin and Asik for a big time star like Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo....or even DeMarcus Cousins. It doesn't look like Morey is inclined to give Parsons a big time deal. Personally, I don't think Houston's challenge is the lack of a 3rd star but rather getting their top 2 stars to be more complete players. Howard is not a game changer defensively and is erratic offensively. James Harden is not a good defensive player and is streaky offensively when he isn't getting to the FT line.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I agree the Rockets don't need to have a "3rd star" to be a contender, but it's more than just utilizing Howard.

More focus on Howard might help but the game has evolved from when he entered. SO I would say to start we need better bench play, Parsons has to play too many minutes just so we don't have to put Garcia in for him. A slight upgrade would be to give Casspi Garcia's minutes. This should help some.

Also not sure if Asik will ever play for the Rockets again but when he and Beverly return that will definitely shore up the rest of the bench. Lin and Asik were supposed to be are 2 best bench players and just having Asik and Bev return solidifies 3 backup spots. If (big if) Asik comes ready to play that will make a big difference.

The most important thing we need Harden to play smarter and harder. Simple solution Harrden play harder on both sides of the court. If the only thing that changed was Harden played defense and didn't ISO so much we would have at least a few more wins already. I get that you can't expect Harden to play hard on D and the carry the load on the offensive side. But where working the ball into Howard a little more would help.

The other thing to do is what we exactly did tonight after Harden's ISO'ing failed miserably and that is move the ball around before giving it to Harden. Harden shouldn't be the first option on offense he should be the last. Work it into Howard, let Lin drive and dish and create, pass the ball around, but don't let Harden bring the ball down ISO and pass with 3 seconds left. It's the worst option, he has less energy on D and Iso'ing allows teams to focus on him. It just doesn't work.

Let Lin start the offense work the other options and if there is nothing then let Harden finish. The only variation to that should be at the end of close games, otherwise stick to the plan. It's a no brainer. Just doing this will improve our team immensely. To become a championship contender this year the Rockets just need to play more team ball and not ISO.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fighton

Fighton Member

good post, and completely agree. all this will come with time; playing with each other, and start trusting each other, and finding out on the court what works and what doesn't. this is not up to the coaches - i'm sure the coaches aren't telling them (and harden) anything different then what you've said. we've seen mchale say the same things game after game about the ball getting sticky. it's very obvious who he's talking to, but harden is going to do what he's comfortable with. not that he's selfish, but just doesn't have complete trust in his teammates, yet. keep this group together, and it'll come.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Indy - Stephenson (legit shot at being an all star this year)

OKC? They don't have one.

And Parsons/Lin are fine as being the 3rd/4th best players on a championship team, but that is only if

A) Harden/Howard are playing at a high level
    B) The Rockets get a new coach
    C) The Rockets dump Asik and upgrade their bench
    D) Terrence Jones gets more consistent (something like averaging 15/8) , or they find another starting PF and bring Jones off the bench.

Until these things happen, the Rockets will not win a championship.

6. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

This smart fat ass is claiming excuse for his Impotent effort on making a decent trade deal for ASIK and LIN. LOL.

1 person likes this.
  7. GzUs

GzUs Member

How dare you guys talk about trading Parsons...He's home grown man...Only way I'm trading Parson's is if it involves K.Love. Point Blank! He's not the third best player, but neither was Bruce Bowen...Hell, he got a ring.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think it takes a very good, allstar like player to beat teams like Utah, Sacramento, Philly, Atlanta on a consistent basis.

9. pass_to_Hakeem

F*@& NO!!!!!!!

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Love is going to be the man. I have 100% faith. I mean the things are coming together.

Tjones will be the vital piece (young talent), along with maybe 2 first rounders and expiring that go to Minny.

11. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Obviously moving TJones in a package for Kevin Love would be worth it, but damn...6 blocked shots and 25 points last night. The kid is coming on strong. Keeping him would not be the end of the world.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think the closest thing they could get to a star is gonna be Rondo. Rondo makes a lot of sense because he's battle tested and he wuld cure a lot of out late game problems and perimeter defensive problems. I also think the rockets have enough in their starting lineup to compete,but they need time and more depth. They could really use a ariza type guy at the wing since casspi is garbage as a 3 and shouldn't be playing at the 4. Also a combo 4/5 if mchale isn't gonna play D-mo consistent minutes.

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Thats how this works brother, you give up something to get something in return. I know its a bitter sweet thing, but any trades for a player like that. T Jones has and will be the focal point of that trade as the young player going to the other squad.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think you know what the 3rd best player is.

Kevin Love is on a similar level as Harden offensively. (plus the rebounding)
    and he is on Offense what Dwight is on Defense.
    On some nights he might even be the best guy out there.

Kevin Love is not the 3rd best player.
    As a borderline superstar he comes at a higher price than probably a Millsap type who would be the 3rd best player.

Asik would be the 3rd best player with his earnings and his play last year.
    But he is not available.

17. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I am guilty of straying away from the initial topic that the OP posted, that is only because these comments are to keep the price for Parsons from shooting up lol, aside from that, I dont even buy into that 3rd best player crap, its not a mystery that the man DM is after is going to be a SUPERSTAR, lets not be naive.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure who is willing to pay for that. All talk about paying luxury tax little substance.
    Kevin Durant is more willing come to Houston than Kevin Love at this moment.(due to Harden)

19. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

At this Point Parsons is the 3rd best player for this team ( Individually Asik of course)
    He is the glue Guy for this team,we saw how badly we suck when he is out.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he is somewhat right, Parsons is clearly good enough but when he is coming up on a restricted free agency Morey is not going to say that to the world.

Also, imo what this team lacks is a leader on the floor, a guy who holds everyone accountable, and it would be great if that were Harden or Howard, but neither ave that type of win at all costs nature, so we need to find that elsewhere.

Once again a very well written blog post, thanks clutch.

DD