1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Rockets lack third-best player on a championship team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

Parsons is a quality role player right now but if he can develop his 1 on 1 game and be able to take his defender off the dribble this would make this team a contender immediately!

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

He's right. Parsons and Lin are very good role players, but they're not stars.

I wonder if this will affect how much we offer Parsons.

3. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

So this is obviously ridiculous... Harden last year was as good as anyone on the Spurs who were a rebound away from winning a championship in 6 games and we already know that Dwight was the #1 on a team that had no other stars and started Rafer Alston at point guard.

What the Rockets need is for Harden to fully recover from his injuries and return to form, which he seems to be doing lately and for Asik and Bev to come back and bolster the weak bench - with Lin returning to his sixth man duties.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Irrelevant.

NBA playoff matchups is all about good/bad matchups and Harden (even if completely healthy) is not a great matchup for Rockets against:

Heat - Wade and James will take him out

Thunder - Harden struggles against them because Thabo and Ibaka neutralize him. They dont even need Durant on him because that works so well.

Pacers - He is not going to be effective against the defense of Paul George.

Harden has historically been very effective against the Spurs.

So against the 4 teams that I consider contenders, Harden as #1 option is not in our favor for three of them. What makes it worse is that he is not a good defender himself, so the Heat, Thunder, and the Pacers will ALWAYS have an advantage against us, with the Rockets team as it currently stands.

We are talking about contending for championship here and you have to go through a combination of these four teams to win it all. What Harden does against 20+ teams in regular season is out the window once the playoffs start.

#64 Zboy, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Without Lin and Asik you have what? $17m available? Plus one additional roster spot to fill. I don't think Jones, Smith, AB and DMo make enough to add those 4 new guys on your list.

I just don't think other GM's are just going to let us have a 3rd star by letting us fleece them. We're going to have to be willing to give up Parsons.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He should probably stop obsessing over a 3rd star and just worry about putting together a better team. The fact that we have Dwight and Harden, best rebounder/big man and one of the best scorers and we can't even play well enough to compete with the contenders is pathetic.

7. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

AB was a first round pick I believe.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140115/chandler-parsons-houston-rockets-daryl-morey/

8. Nook

Nook Member

Several points.

First, the idea that Harden is more a #2 than number one is not true. There are only 3 players in the league clearly better than Harden; James, Durant and Paul. Only one of those three have any hardware. Further, Paul has never even been to the Finals. Now, Paul and Durant are going nowhere in the next couple seasons. If you think you can sign James, good luck. Concerning defense, Harden had injuries to his ankles and feet to start the season. Since then his defense has improved greatly. Thus, Harden is certainly capable of leading a team to a championship. Further he has led the Rockets in the fourth quarter numerous times this season and can create for himself and others.

Second, Howard is an elite second banana. Few teams have a better second best player.

Third, the Rockets concept of "star" can mean anything from Deng, Rondo, Noah or even Monroe. The Rockets will be in a position to sign or trade for a player of this calibur assuming they do not get a player like Love, Anthony, James or Aldridge.

Fourth, there are some complaints about the bench becoming really thin if a third star is added. Well, you will get more players willing to sign for less to play on a super team. Further you get the MLE and you will have the ability to resign Parsons if you do not trade him. Further, you have a GM that has shown the ability to find extreme value over seas and in the draft. The holes can or will be filled.

1 person likes this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

You first talk about matchups, and then you list 3 teams with MORE TALENT than the Rockets. Of course Harden's not going to win against better talent. But add a Kevin Love(minus Asik/Lin and numerous other stuff in trade/FA), who's definitely not a #1, and I will take the Rockets against any of those teams.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You are kind of repeating what I wrote in post #58 of this thread.

Also, since we are talking about contending, obviously I am going to look at the contenders and how we matchup against them and of course they are going to be talented.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Great info.

I think Morey can't resist to gamble's addiction:p

12. Sanity2disChaos

Ready made star is what he prefers over a up and coming star on a team ready to win a championship.

13. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

The problem with the rox is even the stars have glaring weaknesses. Harden's defense, Howard's free throws, and lack of post up moves. Lin and Parsons are great spark plugs but struggles with consistency. Its down right scary how any of them can disappear some nights without rhyme or reason.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

In post 58 you said Harden's a #2 and Howard a #3. Therefore we need a #1. I simply responded to you by saying we can get a #2/3(however you want to rate Love) and still win. If anything, I'm saying the exact opposite of what you're implying. You are saying the Rockets can't win unless they bring in a Lebron or Durant. I don't believe that's the case.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Read again.

My last sentence in that post...

"For the Rockets to become legitimate contenders, they need either a legitimate #1 guy (very unlikely) or another #2 guy."

Thats another #2 guy in addition to Harden.

16. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

To me,the only legitimate #1 Guy would be chris paul for this team,neither Love,LMA or Chris Bosh would fit the bill for that one

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wouldn't that make Harden or that other guy a *gasp* NUMBER ONE!?

Did I or did I not just blow your mind?

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Eh.....no.

I dont consider Harden good enough to be #1 for the reasons I have detailed earlier.

However, if we get another player who is #2, just like Harden is, then with Dwight and Parsons on the team, we become good enough to go up with the best in the playoffs.

Getting another #2 player doesnt automatically change Harden's game to become #1, like you are implying. His game isnt going to magically change. He is who he is. The team just comes more talented and depending on who we get, matchups might become favorable to us.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Harden last year averaged 29 points on only 16 FG attempts a game... Also defended James well.

Harden has struggled against the Pacers, as have most of the league.

Against OKC last year in the playoffs he was playing hurt. He still had several exceptionally good games.

Last year against the Spurs he shot nearly 50% and averaged 31 points a game.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

We lack good Free throw shooters and shooters in general.

1 person likes this.