1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Rockets lack third-best player on a championship team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 15, 2014.

1. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I agree. Don't see how we can afford a real 3rd star and still fill out the roster with guys worth more than league minimum. Both Love and LMA will be making $16M next season. San Antonio has a major advantage over us because their top two guys aren't being paid max money.

2. Penetrate&Creat

lol Asik? He doesn't even wanna play for this team anymore.

I've been saying this for awhile now. We're ALMOST there, just need a few more pieces, primarily a back up center and PF. And ofc getting rid of Mchale/Sampson.

3. verysimplejason

I think this isn't the lack of a 3rd star but how capable really our existing 2. I'm sad to say that they're barely cutting it. While one lacks offense, the other lacks defense. Somebody like CP3 might be the answer. Too bad, Clippers will not part with him no matter what...

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yep.

Just look at how many minimum salary guys we signed just to fit Howard's contract in?

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Forgot about Dre?

[​IMG]

6. SHARKLIN-SOUP

SHARKLIN-SOUP Member

We need Lin to develop into the next Tony Parker

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Exactly. Morey may be faced with the tough decision of trading Harden, if he doesn'tstart playing D consistently.

Otherwise, we'll have to roll with a slightly better Parsons and Beverley, as well as upgraded bench shooters.

8. DreamEarlNolan

Does the constant threat of trades hang over other teams like it does the Rockets? I want this team to win a championship and I agree that currently the team isn't championship caliber, but if they keep the core group together (Harden, Howard, Parsons, Lin) is it possible they will be in a year or two? When you look at teams like San Antonio I would assume much of their success is attributed to the core of the team being together for years and being allowed to gel. I could be wrong, but my guess is it can't help a teams chemistry when everyday they are reading that one or more of the team is about to be traded. At the risk of being labelled a LOF, I also believe Lin would be a much more consistent player if he felt the Rockets were committed to him. I honestly want whats best for the team, but personally I wish the Rockets would commit to Lin and Parsons and allow the team to grow for another year or two before giving up on the current group.

9. conquistador#11

to me howard is the closest to hakeem and yao we've had as he changes the game with his defensive presence. Harden can score, wilkins was able to score and never got to the finals. I think chandler can definitely raise up to the challenge and be the third, there is only one basketball. And I've had the honor to sit with morey's left and right hand man in a non basketball setting where basketball should be the last thing spoken, yet he truly believes in Lin, as does the owner.

IF it came down to Parsons+Asik+Lin for love, I'd pass and just hope I could lure fading stars but still very productive to come play for us for the mid level.

We are houston and we have dwight, aging stars are going to want to come here! believe!

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's about parlaying draft picks and using exceptions, the biggest free agent signing on the spurs roster is paid what? $3m?

11. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes: Right.....

Like Boston with KG, Allen, Pierce?
    Like Chicago with MJ, Pippen, Rodman?
    Like LA with Magic, Worthy, Kareem?
    Like Boston with Bird, McHale, Parrish?
    Like Philly with Dr. J, Malone, Toney?
    Like SA with Duncan, Parker, Manu?

You are clueless and are an angry fan boy confused as to why Lin isn't averaging 25/12.

1 person likes this.
  12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Looks like our 2 big FA signings last season is not consider for long term. And if JLin and Omer is not traded before the trade window, its hard to see Rox able to sign any FA coming season.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Whoa there... he's never had 12 turnovers in a game. That's over the top.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Unless you're Miami or San Antonio, yes, and even them sometimes. There are guys I could hang the noose of tradebait over the head of on basically every team, miami just activated their noose though.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The Rockets don't need to have a "3rd star" to be a contender, they just need to better utilize Howard, maximize his ability.

If the guy can take a crappy Orlando team to the final, he is surely able to take this team there. It's up to the coaches to put everyone in their right places, put the ball in Howard's hands, and let everyone else follow him.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I know Morey sees how important Parson is to this team. Plus each year this youngstas game has improved, (especially on the offensive end. IMO Parson is on his way to being that 3rd Superstar.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Rockets can deal Lin & Asik before the deadline on Parsons option...

Parsons bird rights restricted free agent
    Lull part of MLE
    Papanikolaou part of MLE or LLE
    If they trade for Jason Smith PF/C bird rights
    If they trade for Dunleavy under contract for another season

Euro's are usually signed to contracts starting between 1.5M to 3.5M

Bev, Llull?, Canaan
    Harden, Dunleavy?, Garcia
    Parsons, Papanikolaou?, Covington
    3rd piece?, Casspi
    Howard, Jason Smith?

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

IMO, Rockets are one rank below across the board....

Harden is #1 guy. He would make an ideal #2 guy.
    Dwight is #2 guy. He would make an idea #3 guy.
    Parsons is #3 guy. He would make an ideal #4 guy.

For the Rockets to become legitimate contenders, they need either a legitimate #1 guy (very unlikely) or another #2 guy.

19. hamsession

hamsession Member

Is Morey serious? Dallas only had one all-star when it won its championship. What we need is a championship coach that can get this team playing team ball and defense.

20. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

I do agree that they dont have a 3rd star but similar to the early 2000's Championship Lakers teams we have 2 stars and high quality role players. I like what they have right now the only thing they need is time maybe a heat check guard role off the bench and a back up center but other than that I think this roster is good to go for a championship run.This is a very balanced team all around.