1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey Q&A: Expect Asik to remain a Rocket for duration of contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This comment is a jock! =)

2. basketballholic

LOL. Rush is being sandbagged in Utah. They're trying to get as many ping-pong balls as possible. Watch their games. If he were in the rotation, they'd be winning more games. They can't afford that.

3. quatin

quatin Member

You're going to look stupid, because that guy is not a Lin fan. Great knee jerk post based off race.

4. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

why nobody asked morey when Asik is going to play, i don't care if he stays with the team or not, but i care if he plays and when he will play:mad:

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You sure do fall in love with some of the most random guys at the end of teams benches dont you?

Its ok. I 'Like" Brandon Rush too but trust me.... he's not the answer to anyone's championship aspirations... especially not the Rockets'. I dont really even know if he would get PT with the Rockets. Whose he going to beat out for minutes.... Parsons??? no. Backup 3 minutes.... maybe... there are about 15 to spare but keep in mind that one of the Rockets best lineups this year has been playing Beverley, Lin, and Harden together at the same time.

Getting penetration & tempo to drive and kick is more productive for this team than stand at the 3 point line and shoot.(something that teams are guarding against this year, and living with points in the paint to stay at home from 3).

I like Rush too as an end of the bench guy who can give you some 3 & D, and insurance policy if Parsons gets injured, but he's not the answer to the Rockets problems.

-Oh and if Utah really wanted to get ping pong balls they would find a way to bench Trey Burke not Brandon Rush. Rush is a useful player on an expiring contract, but he's not going to win them games alone. The smart thing for a tanking team in their situation to do is to play your limited vets enough to boost up their stats enough to trade them for picks to teams wanting help for the playoffs.

6. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I think if the Rockets want to be a contender, that they should "baby" Asik if necessary. Do whatever it takes to make him feel wanted by the team and everyone, even though only in a limited role.

I know this is contrary to every feeling anyone can have about the situation considered how Asik is considered to have quit on the team, but if you have a happy Asik playing back up for our team, we have a MUCH better team that can be considered a contender and not a pretender.

I care more about the Rockets winning, then I do if we kiss Asik's azz to make it happen.

7. dobro1229

Ummmm.... did they not jeopardize the entire start of the season, and probably take a few early season losses to cater to him by putting him in the starting lineup??

They also have not suspended him for time away from the team. They have more than kissed his arse to try and keep him happy.

There really isn't anything the Rockets can do to bring him back on the court. He's going to have to be the one to realize that he will NEVER be traded and he will lose a TON of money in free agency in two Summers if he doesn't just suck it up and play for the next three weeks until the trade deadline.

If can't see that on his own, than I dont know what to tell ya. There is nothing the Rockets can do about him not looking out for his own good.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Random prediction: The team's will play worse between now and February 20th than they have so far this season, and then see their performance take off in March.

I just feel like the team is collectively waiting for the other shoe to drop-- everyone is either wanting to be traded, worried that he'd be traded or wondering which of his friends will be traded.

Of course, all teams are subject to the same deadline, but 1) Morey is a particularly active GM, 2) Morey has rather strangely done nothing other than signing minimum wage guys after landing Dwight Howard and 3) the team is sitting one tier below "true contender" status and Morey knows this. These things are not true about every team. The Clippers, for example, already used a bunch of trade chips (draft picks, and most notably Bledsoe) and used up their MLE in a quest to fill their positional needs with Reddick, Collison, etc. The Rockets hasn't traded a draft pick or even the disgruntled Asik and still has its "Room Exception."

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'm by no way a racist but just look at the user name? Come on now, he's from China and he's talking **** about my team. What should I say?

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

^ lol, got em.

11. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Actually, everything you said is very true and I failed to point these out. Maybe Asik just doesn't like McHale or someone else in the organization, I don't know. But what you say is true.

12. dobro1229

Not sure I agree that it had anything to do with the treatment from the organization or McHale as it does with the NBA in general, and how hard it can be for European prospects who are used to being superstars in their native country.

If I had to guess I'd say that this is a recurring theme we are beginning to see with players who are considered star players with their respected circles in Europe, and are dissapointed with their roles in the NBA in comparison to what they would be over in Europe.

I wouldn't call it entitlement, but I think its something is becoming a theme and could keep top tier European prospects from coming over to the states in the near future.

Watch what happens this Spring with Dario Saric as an example. he's a top 10 prospect, but has already dodged the NBA draft once so Its likely that if he feels like the teams aren't promising him a starring role, he's likely to drop out of the draft again this year.

Imagine Donatas and Omer sitting on the bench next to each other earlier this year saying to themselves, look at Rudy Fernandez, and Sergio Rodriguez... they are treated like kings over in Spain and we are like janitors here now when they promised us (or they thought they were promised) that they would be the next Dirk or Sabonis.

The days of getting solid role players from Europe might be dwindling down a little bit further down the drain. These guys have been superstars their whole lives before coming over to the NBA. It can be a tough, tough blow to get the wake up call one day that hey... you really aren't THAT good, and you are far from being Dwight Howard.

See Donatas "Catch Me if you Can" draft day presser.

1 person likes this.
  13. lfw

lfw Rookie

Funny you looked at his username and not his 2003 join date. Pretty impressive if he knew Lin was going to be a Rocket back then.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

We have bima saying that rockets are better off keeping him.

Morey saying asik is going to stay with Houston for two more years.

You and others saying he has to play next 2 weeks to get ready to be traded by deadline or he will lose money.

So everything now is just assumptions.

One thing that is clear asik will make $15mill next year, if not traded he may not even play in the NBA after his contract is up, asiks doesn’t seem like a money hungry flashy guy so $15mill may be more than enough for him to take a year off or just go play overseas out of frustration of what happened in Houston & to get a change of scenery, no one knows what’s going to happen.

This situation is different than white making $1mill and being jobless, asik can always find a job due to his skill set in the NBA or overseas and has made a cool $5mill to not play this year and gets a $15mill bonus just to play 15mins as a backup next year because of how someone wanted to setup his contract. Whether asik is traded or not traded, in the words of Charlie sheen either way asik is “WINNING”.

15. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

Probably joined cause of Yao.
    I feel the same way as this fella, most of these people are not Rockets fans, they're Lin fans, n its getting annoying. The whole board became about Lin.

16. basketballholic

Not in love with Rush. But he is a good player on an ending contract that could possibly be acquired for a second rounder or two. His contract fits and his game fits. He's a great shooter and a very good perimeter defender. And he has a handle.

If we acquired him I could see him playing anywhere from 1 to 3 off the bench. I could see some lineup with Harden at 3 and Parsons at 4, Rush at 2, and whoever at the 1.

He's a fit on the floor.
    His contract is a fit.
    And he's probably acquirable without giving away much asset value in return.

17. dobro1229

Why do you think Asik was upset in the first place when Dwight signed in Houston???.... I dont think it was just ego.

While you downplay the importance of his next contract to him personally (him assuming he can get money whenever/wherever) I do think there is more at work with his overall branding that goes into the business side of their reasoning for him wanting to be a starter than you are eluding to. Also dont downplay how contracts are negotiated going into free agency. This is all part of the decision for Omer's game to play the card they have played... and failed at so far.

When the Rockets first signed Dwight, Andy Miller had a public statement ready to go and all they had to do was hit send. They were gambling on the Rockets flipping Omer immediately and getting a starting job elsewhere. That didn't happen, and Omer's value has continued to decline, and decline and decline.... Hence why Andy Miller got fired.

Omer's next contract might not mean much to Omer, but it sure does for his agent who is guiding him on exactly how they are going to handle this situation moving forward. If Omer hit free agency this Summer with a multi-team market he could have been looking at 4 years 48 million if you want to go based off of market value of starting centers (GM's use market valuation as a negotiating tool).

If he hit free agency in 2015 without playing a meaningful role for two years his contract could be based on the market value of backup centers... which could be based off of a market valuation of the mid level range... which could be 4 years 25 million.

So we are talking about potentially 15 to 30 million dollars difference if Omer's market valuation is deemed off of his role and production with the Rockets the last two years of his contract.

Yes.... Omer and his agent care about the extra 15 to 30 million dollars that he is risking to lose by not having a higher market value going into free agency.

18. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

You should check on his join date before accusing him as a bandwagon fan.....you on the other hand...

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Repped, that makes a ton of sense. I think you could definitely see it even as early as the '90s, with Drazen Petrovic. It's a shame too, as basketball expands globally it be nice to see more top prospects coming here instead of staying in their home country.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, we all know that it comes with the job when you are playing for Morey's team. Every year the cloud of trades is over every player's mind at this time.