1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey Q&A: Expect Asik to remain a Rocket for duration of contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. afk

afk Member

Just remember, any number of things can also go the opposite way (for example: a surprise trade of Omer Asik right at the trading deadline). Regardless, in Morey we trust.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

He should have been asked: When are you going to start fining Asik for his "phony" injury? Otherwise, send him to the Mayo clinic and get the ultimate evaluation and treatment. This is ridiculous. Derek Rose and Kobe will likely come back before him. Fine him!

1 person likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey has always said that he strives to make the team better. I have never heard or read that Morey was content with any of the rosters yet. So Morey saying he wont make a move at the deadline is always preceded with a "probably" or a "chances are". I have rarely heard Morey say anything set in stone when it comes to players or the Roster.

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Meh..

In Morey we trust

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Because they often work ;)

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Asik's contract structure is part of why we maybe able to retain him.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Looks like Morey is pissed that he can't get what he wants and is willing to hold on to him out of spite.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Seems like Morey is playing mind games. He's putting it out there that he doesn't NEED to trade Asik, and he's not only willing to keep him, he's banking on keeping him.

He's trying to increase Asik's value.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think it's so much as a bluff as it is a message to both Asik and the rest of the league.

To Asik: Were not trading you so you might as well get that through your mind and when your knee is healthy get your but out there and play your ass off because you are here buddy.

To the Rest of the League: your offers all sucked so I have no problem keeping Asik. I'm not giving him away so if you decide you want him then stop trying to low ball me and get serious.

If someone called DM today and offered good value then I'm guessing he would take it.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's called posturing and it typically works pretty f'n good for him.

For those of us that have watched DM enough through the years you would think by now that we all know he is not going to trade a player below his value unless he has a specific reason to (such as clearing cap space for D12). Aside from clearing cap space, when has he ever just given a player away because that player was pouting? Never.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I tweeted The Cat this last night, but this Miggy, seems like a solid cat, but dude is a straight up Lakers honk. I usually see him in Rockets gear, which is cool, and then the Lakers came to town. And I had to do a double take. Did this guy have on a custom Lakers white Jersey with his name on it? Totally shook my head at that.

Sometimes, these answers are kinda....

And a lot of times, the fans that ask questions are kinda dumb. It was a long time ago when i went to one of these, and I was so irritated by the questions. I wanted to punch that old lady in the face. Maybe it was my fault, and Dave2000's fault for not stepping up and asking legitimate questions.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised with that, but Josh won't fit well here either.
    Jones isn't as good as Josh, but he is more efficient and a heck lot cheaper too.

13. saleem

I am sure he would take a good offer for Asik, if it came up. DM is sick and tired of Asik. He knows the market for him is very low right now, as you have correctly pointed out.

14. saleem

I want to retain D-Mo, DM is willing to move him if he gets a good offer IMO.
    Right now, he isn't getting any good offers for him.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Neither Asik nor the rest of the league cares about this message.

It should be clear by now that neither Asik nor the rest of the league cares about hardball by moneyball.

Asik will ride his contract out while being a drama if thats what he feels he needs to do. The other teams will forget Asik even exist until his contract is up. Thats what the two have been doing and thats what they will continue to do if needed.

The status quo hurts Rockets more than it hurts Asik or the league. Asik gets to e-walk to the e-bank bi-weekly with is e-paycheck that the Rockets write him. The other teams in the league dont need Asik to survive.

The Rockets however, are stuck with a dead weight who they have been paying and will be paying while it chomping at their salary cap.

IMO, the Rockets botched up this issue from the very beginning by not anticipating/exploring the situation before it got out in public and made it worse by careless and public comments made by McHale and Parsons.

PS. For those with the argument that no one will want Asik when he becomes a free agent because of his attitude. You guys are forgetting that big men who defend the paint are at a premium in the league. If teams are willing to take chances on a reprobate like Bynum and a geriatric like Oden, you bet that plenty of teams will be lining up for his services once his contract with the Rockets runs out, EVEN if he hasnt played a single game for them from here onward.

#35 Zboy, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  16. Clarinetmonster

I think the bottom line is the dude would be playing by now if a trade was not imminent.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think Morey is in a bind at all. Assuming Asik comes back and contributes(and I think he will), then Asik and Lin are both decent players contributing to the team. Morey will trade them if he can, but it's not a disaster if he doesn't. I think if we get everyone back healthy, we have a very good chance of getting past the first round in the playoffs, maybe even farther. I don't think Morey views this as a make or break year for the Rockets. Morey has his sights set on acquiring one more star. A star that may not be available for a year or two. I wouldn't be surprised to see Morey make some trades that hurts our team this year, but gives him more trade assets for the future.

18. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

I agree,He doesn't HAVE to play. He's already banked $25M and will command AT LEAST $8-$9M per post-Houston.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Things are not really black and white in terms of whether teams want a free agent or not. There is a matter of degrees of interest-- specifically in how much you are willing to pay him. Talented guys get paid despite a reputation of being difficult, sure, but this kind of reputation does affect how much money a team is willing to risk in a guy. Juwan Howard got a lot of extra $ for being a "consummate professional" while Ron Artest cost himself millions.

I very doubt that if Asik stays he would refuse to play for 2 years since it's bad for his earning power as a free agent-- teams may think that he can still play very well, but the risk of Asik acting out will not help them feel comfortable throwing extra money at him

Chances are that the team is continuing to talk Asik trades, along with Asik's agent Arn Tellem. They will make a serious effort to make a deal both to look for something favorable and to satisfy Asik and his agent that the team has really tried (and Arn Tellem is one agent you want on your side for future transactions). But I can see the team not making a deal by February 20th if nothing good is available. And in that case, I expect Asik to play the rest of the season and have the trade talks resume in the summer.

#39 Carl Herrera, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  20. basketballholic

He'll bank $25 million unless he's suspended without pay for conduct.