1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Mock Draft - Texans 2nd Round v 3.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 21, 2016.

?

Who will the Texans pick in the 2nd?

1. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Yannik Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas State

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  6. Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Clutchfans has spoken, the Texans will pick Corey Coleman in the first round of the NFL draft. We picked Hackenberg in the 2nd in version 2.0. With Brock in the fold, I'm guessing that won't be the case in 3.0.

So who do you think the Texans will pick in the 2nd round, assuming they pick Coleman in the first?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think many of the guys listed in this poll will actually be available for our pick in the 2nd.

Hunter Henry seems like a fantasy type pick if you've already added Coleman. Offense adding 3 new starters at WR, RB and TE? Dream come true.

However, offensive line is such a big concern and Code Whitehair is a plug and play starter at guard, potentially center. I have to take the offensive linemen here.

I passed on Spriggs because I'm not a believer in him as a plus tackle.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I used mock drafts and reports to pick the 10 players. It's hard because some players are all over the place. Some have Henry, Nkemdiche, and Spriggs going in the 1st but a lot have them going in the 2nd as well. Jaylon Smith is just my wishful thinking.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

O-Line, TE, or DT

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most show him available in the 3rd or 4th. I don't see the Texans drafting a LB in the 2nd two years in a row.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If he's there, Hunter Henry.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Vernon Butler or Vonn Bell

9. raining threes

If Henry is there you run the card to the podium. Same with Spriggs.

Under this scenario I pick Vernon Butler. Although Clark wouldn't be a bad pick.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

TE who can catch the ball. I'm in. Give Brock some more weapons please...

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hunter Henry and Corey Coleman would be a j*zz in my pants type draft.

Yeah, I said it.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Henry + Coleman
    or
    Whitehair + Kelly
    or
    Ogbah + Reed

Any of those three would be too sweet for their respective position groups.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is probably ill advised, but...

Respectfully, I think some of you guys are overrating Hunter Henry by a great deal, simply because he's the "best tight end" on mock drafts. In that 2014 draft, when the Texans got C. J. Fiedorowicz, he is basically just another guy, and a mid to late second round pick. He is right there in that second group with Troy Niklas and Fiedorowicz.

If the Texans draft him in the 2nd, they'll be getting appropriate value, not some great steal for the ages.

The way some of you feel about Robert Nkemdiche, I feel about A'Shawn Robinson. He is a top 10 player on pure natural talent. In a draft not dominated by so many D linemen, he is a guy that gets singled out as a special athletic talent. Watch his game against LSU. He manhandles a couple of linemen who are going to be day 2 selections in this draft, and he's barely 21. If he is there in the second, which he won't be, it would be criminal to pass on him. He is a perfect 3-4 DE.

Watch this play on an extra point. He jumps over the offensive line to block it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dS5F8w7TV7I?start=356">" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#13 Ottomaton, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

CJ does not have the drop rate that Henry has. He can only wish. Henry is also a great blocker. He is no Gronk but he has Jason Witten or Dallas Clark as a ceiling. CJ was like the 3rd best TE in his draft, he was the fifth TE picked. No comparision.

For the record I like Hooper too.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not sure exactly, but if there's a worthy player available , I'd like to see them go d-line.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't have the drops in college. Read the draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/c.j.-fiedorowicz?id=2543721

[Rquoter]Big-framed, linear and dependable, Fiedorowicz looks the part and has balanced skills to be a legitimate “Y” tight end in the pros. Is an asset as a competitive blocker and as a sure-handed receiver.
    [/rquoter]

Henry is a good blocker given what he's working with (effort & technique), but Fiedorowicz has 15-20 pounds on him. I'll take Fiedorowicz as the blocker every time. Henry is a very average athlete. IIRC, Dallas Clark ran something like a 4.44 40? He was set aside as a special athlete, like Eric Ebron was in 2014. Hunter Henry's 4.68 at pro day is very average, right about what the bigger, stronger Fiedorowicz produced at his pro day (4.63 is the best listed time I can find online). Clark was also a move TE only out of college. You couldn't put him in line to block at all. He was strictly a receiver.

Of course, the NFL.com draft profile does compare him to Jason Witten. But they manage to come up with a Witten comparison every year. Sometimes it works out ok (Zach Ertz), sometimes it doesn't (Jace Amaro). Even in the case of Ertz, I'm not sure any of the players compared with Witten will actually end up with anywhere near that level of production when all is said and done. Certainly, there isn't a new player of Witten's caliber entering the league every year.

Witten, BTW, was picked with a later pick than Fiedorowicz (69 overall vs 65 overall). Coming out of college, nobody in the world was predicting Witten was going to be "the next Jason Witten". Mostly because he was nothing special as an athlete compared to other NFL TE's. Henry is exactly that type of player. Maybe he'll be the 1 in 1000 like Witten or Tom Brady or whomever to outplay their athleticism but I'm not going to put money on it. He's average to below size, speed, and strength compared to other NFL TE's. He has shown good hands and good overall technique/skill level. Exactly the type usually picked in the 2nd and 3rd round.

#16 Ottomaton, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

"Sure-handed receiver" is not the same as like 2 drops in the whole season. Henry is not a speedster, he is going to be great as a possession receiver; when you need that critical 3rd down conversion. He's not going to burn you and he's not going to be this huge red zone target but the Texans should have that with Miller, Hopkins, and per this mock draft, Coleman. The Texans already have their blocking tight end (though CJ had his struggles), they need to improve on their receiving tight end (who can also block).

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agree with this post entirely. Already said that most of the guys that people think will be there in the 2nd won't be. I think Coleman has a better chance to be there in the 2nd than Robinson.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OL and DL will be the first two picks.

A dark horse candidate would be an ILB who has exceptional cover skills.