1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans]McHale on why Rockets cut Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So you're basically saying it's ok for others teams to be human, but your team has to be a perfect evaluating machine?

I think the problem is you have unrealistic expectations. You can't blame others when they don't meet them, whether it's basketball or life outside of it.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Here's a question for you:

Is a phenom like Lin still a phenom sitting on our bench as a 3rd string point guard? That's the only fact that you should think about. Talented or not we had and still have a Great starting PG as well as a good backup one. So we keep Lin and then what? The Lin Show in garbage time?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Keep Lin and trade Lowry for Gasol. Duh.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

If we had kept Lin as our 4th PG, how many of you would be b****ing that he's only on the team because he's Asian, Les is trying to rekindle the lost Yao frenzy, he's not worth a roster spot, we should cut him for Marcus Morris' space, etc? Hindsight is 20/20, but good lord...

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Chris Mullin, former Golden Sate Warrions GM, said on ESPN last night that Lin has improved lots this year since released by Goldern Sate, has a good chance to be good because he was working so hard (asking coaches for extra work on the time). Maybe, we can safely say Morey is just another GM like most of them in NBA, he is not that great, just solid, good one.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So who are great GM's because Lin was a free agent This whole summer so those "great GM's" didn't even give Lin a Chance and Morey did?

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Apparently he improved his speed and hops significantly this off season. It would be hard to plug in those improvements into his evaluation when you're only trying him out in limited practice settings. You've got tons of tape and reports of years of evaluation, so some good play in practice isn't going to overshadow that. Things like that come out in pre-season games. That's when coaches say, "i didnt know he could do that" and try to find ways to keep guys even longer to see if it's a permanent change. Unfortunately we only had two preseason games. Hard to gauge how consistent a player's new actions are in two games.

8. Tyler Hyellie

Tyler Hyellie Member

I'm over Lin-Sanity and people blaming the Rockets for letting him "get away".

Nobody saw this coming. NO ONE.

You realize EVERY team in the NBA had a chance to pick him up....we did and he was the 4th pg, so we waived him.

What is so hard to understand?

We needed a big more than we needed a 4th string pg.

end of story.

9. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

I was mad, but I'm not mad anymore. You guys have convinced me thru logic that it wasn't really Morey's or anyone's fault...Not even New York knew he was this good. I guess only God knew.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Downplaying what was seen from Lin in December, downplaying the fact that he was clearly better than the collection of DNP-CD expiring assests on the roster, downplaying that it was 90% about money and 10% about "who knew".

If it were true that "no one" realized he might shine....why was there a minor uproar on this BBS when he was cut instead of Adrien? Don't be so quick to paint over history.

And I absolutely did not say this was a major gaffe. It was a minor one that is easily rationalized. What I did say is that it was one of numerous minor gaffes from Morey in the past 18 months or so. He needs a big win soon, because these miscues are adding up.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He was cut as the Rockets didn't want any Chinese bandwagon fans coming around after the Yao debacle because they believe in an "empty seat" policy. ;)

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

the real answer is that he does not know how to evaluate undrafted talent.

13. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

but the difference between linning and winning is millions of $$$$.

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

If you think about it, it was the Rockets who let Jeremy Lin go, indirectly gave him to the Knicks, and ended up destroying their own draft pick.

Oh the irony.

15. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Given enough time and practice, if Knicks can find Lin's talent, I do not see why Rockets could not.

Lin will be practicing with professional teammates and assistant coaches, I do not know how he can hide his talent from those guys unless they are assuming something in race.

16. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

If Rockets had cut Flynn and he was picked up Knicks, imagine the value of our pick now.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We all knew why they cut Jeremy Lin when they cut him. Listening to 2 different people talk about it isn't going to change what happened. Trust me, i think it's time to move on.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

enough of Lin already... lol

I do love hearing what McHale has to say. He seems very down to earth. Reminds me of Rudy T in his talking to the press...

19. Margrave

Margrave Member

Guys bringing up the rest of the league in this matter is not relevent to the Rockets, sure it means that lots of guys missed out on him, fine.

But we are Rockets fans, all that should matter to us, is that we are not letting talent walk through our organization and out the door for a net zero return.

I understand that others missed on Lin too, and that it is probably hard to find that talent, but that is what Morey and McHale are paid to do, to recognized gems and to make our team better.

Letting Lin go was a massive mistake, IMO, and it makes me wonder what others on the bench are capable of doing if they got time on the floor as well.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Had we kept Lin, he would probably be playing a similar role to what he played in Golden State.

Given his turnovers, I'm not sure if he would be great in a backup role (as he wouldn't get the minutes to put up the overall production which he has been putting up for the Knicks).