1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Here is where we differ.

When it comes to second round picks, Morey has a habit of picking out players that have a lot of college experience and thus are usually able to contribute right away. Parsons and Bud are one such example of second round draft picks that do not have high potential but have a set of skills that a team could make use of right away.

I think it's fair to say that Morey knew Parsons could play and could contribute, otherwise he wouldn't have drafted him when we already have 3 SFs in T-Will, Morris and Bud.

In other words, Parsons was most likely not a project player, because we already had two of those in that position.

Roy Hibbert is different, he was a project player. And a project player who had to compete against an all-star, a solid back up and an olympic gold medalist/Spanish MVP.

It's not a negative thing to tell a player that they will probably have to start off in the D-league because they won't get playing time on the team. It's just honesty. I don't get why there is still stigma that playing in the D-league is bad. There are a good number of players who had patience and worked their way out of the d-league, Jeremy Lin is one such example.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah and Morey swears he never called players assets.

3. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

So what would you have done? Keep him at the end of the pine next to Vspan?

Oh right, you would not have answered his questions concerning what he could expect and what future plans are.

Remind me not to apply for one of your 250-300k employment positions or ever do business with you.

I don't need a salesman as GM. I need someone who can build a championship team.

All of this garbage you are putting out there about players talking poorly about the Rockets organization is just that - garbage. If that kind of talk meant anything then the Clippers of 2012 would not exist.

Fortunately we do not have to suffer through your Rockets dream team of five point guards and six centers.

4. Old Man Rock

I do not disagree on any of that. Except for your last point

It is a negative thing to tell a potential draft pick he will have to play in the D-League. Morey agrees or he wouldn't be denying it. Let the chips fall where they. Nothing is written in stone. Saying someone has to got to D-league is a negative thing to them whether it's true or not.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't either, but it definitely exists.

If you think about it, there's no stigma at all in baseball early on. It's accepted that you go to the minor leagues straight out of high school or college, and likely for years. However, once you've been promoted to the big leagues and have established yourself there, it's an insult to go back to the minors.

That's the NBA right out of the gate -- it is fully expected that you're "in the majors" from Day 1. There is an insult if you get "demoted" to the D-League. Just seems to be a sense of entitlement right from the get go, which is amazing considering the influx of high school players in the 90's and "one and dones" since then.

If there was a true minor league system for the NBA, the product would be much better for it. As it stands right now though, there is definitely a big gap between the quality of play at the NBDL and the NBA. Real NBA prospects seem to go the D-League for a short stint, put up 30 and 10 a few nights, and then they're back in the Big Show riding the pine.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Regardless of what the Rockets may have told him, it's obvious (at least to us now) that they would have sent him to the D-League had they drafted him. That's their MO.

Maybe Hibbert had an agent who could put two and two together and the agent told him that the Rockets would send him down.

I think he's a wuss for being offended by it. But, the only thing I think Morey did wrong was denying he said it. Obviously Hibbert thinks he did, regardless. I think a better tack would have been to say, "That's right, we would have sent him down. We have a great player development program that really helps our rookies with their games." If you're going to run this thing, why act embarassed whenever the subject comes up?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes they did deny it, but more than likely, Hibbert is just taking something he heard in the interview out of context. I would assume they probably just talked about their vision for the D-League in the future and all Roy heard was "D-League... Me go there."

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What?

So you think Hibbert is misremembering, when our organization has a history of lying about stuff.

Ok....

DD

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Here comes DD spreading myths again. Facts by the Fanatic.

10. DaDakota

No, I would have told him that while we have centers already, if we were fortunate enough to draft him that we would let the competition at training camp work itself out.

Even if you THINK something is true, sometimes you should just not say it.

DD

11. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PREACH IT!!!

12. DaDakota

Reek, Morey has lied about not calling players assets, Les lied about having a phone conversation with Adelman.

You can Ostrich it all you want, but the truth is out there......

:)

DD

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Then you'd be misleading the kid and you'd make a terrible GM that nobody would like.

14. Old Man Rock

It does definitely exist. And I think it is a combiantion of the mental makeup of the athletes (not all fall in this category but many) and the NBA itself. Basketball is such a high energy sport that involve interaction with players. The fan gratification is so much more real. You have groupies waiting for players after every game. Even the fringe players get laid. It's more like entertainment than sports in that way.

The level intensity drops down majorly when you go to the D-League. You play in very small cities for very small crowds. If you go out and play great you get very little fan frenzy. Baseball minor leagues have a stronger fan base but more than that I think the mental makeup of the players is mostly different. People like Morris and Twill have been treated like stars most of their lives. They don't know any different. From High School through college they have been adored. And now they have been demoted to the lowest level of pro competition. I'm not talking talent wise but adoration wise. Fans worship their teams in Europe and China. Not so much in the Dleague.

1 person likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Fine, we just have different management styles, no worries, I can live with that.

I believe you get more with a carrot than a stick.

DD

16. DaDakota

I really like what you are saying in this thread OMR, you are hitting for the cycle baby !

DD

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Your carrot is actually a dog turd painted orange.

My stick is actually a slim-jim.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

why the hell would they waste money on roy hibbert?

i'd rather have camembert at center on the cheap than waste money on hibbert. he isn't an impact player, and isn't going to get us any closer to a championship.

just because he's one of the best available free agents doesn't mean you have to make a play for him. he's a waste for us.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was being ironic (and admittedly a little douchey ;) ) with the Bill Ingram comment. He's always trashing Morey.

If players have a negative view of Morey/Les, the trading-away OR no-extensions OR not-overpaying comes into it, probably more than the "threat" of the D-League (although it doesn't boost a player's endorphins).

Putting players in a constant spin-cycle of no-star-players no-playoff success mediocrity, with 2 or 3 guys battling for minutes at the 2, 3, 4, and 5; that, too, must suck royally.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Morey didn't lie. He told the kid that he may be sent to dleague. It wasn't an absolute, "You will be sent to dleague." It was, "you'll have to earn your minutes, this is who is in front of you, if you don't beat them out, then we may send you to dleague to get playing time and develop."

It's the same rhetoric we have heard from Morey after each of the drafts. He publicly said this about Patterson, Morris, and Parsons. So, don't think he didn't say the exact same things privately to them if it came up when they were drafted. And they can read it out of the CBA for crying out loud.