1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bingo.

The D-league was the most likely option for Hibbert, and if he wasn't made aware of that fact beforehand, it would've set up a bad situation had we drafted him.

Morey and company handled it the right way.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Somebody mentioned Parsons earlier. Wonder what they told him?????

Hopefully some reporter somewhere finally asks him.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think you might have read "project" as "prospect." The article reads: "major project as a freshman at Georgetown."

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You want to solve all this nonsense and early player "Primadonnaism"? Require kids to see out of high school for 2-3 years before they get drafted. Watch as tons go to the D-league instead of College.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Considering we didn't have an elite level player starting at his position (nor an extremely capable backup), I'd say the D-league probably wasn't the most likely outcome for Parsons.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

7. Pete the Cheat

8. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Any player who shows immaturity or needs to time to work with a team running the same system as the D-League team could benefit much more than sitting at the end of the bench.

If they don't benefit then there is something wrong with the player, not the system.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think any kid with talent that puts him on the edge being an NBA player would benefit from a trip to play with a league full of guys that would do anything to get the chance he has. If a kid is so full of himself that playing along side these guys is below him I really don't think he is going to fit anywhere in McHale's plans.

I for one like this approach by McHale.

10. Pete the Cheat

if you are giving a player reps in your team's system there is a definite benefit regardless of the level of competition.
    however, that may have been a little more important when trying to familiarize players with Adelman's offense as opposed to McHale's urm..."offense"

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

1. Parsons was a completely different scenario. Chase Budinger was the starting SF for this team when Parsons was drafted, but everybody and their grandmother knew he wouldn't be for much longer. Drafting somebody that is going to be backing up Chase Budinger is a hell of a lot different from drafting somebody that is going to be backing up Yao Ming.

2. Omitting the D-League process from any conversation (when you know the player is going to have to go through it) doesn't help anybody. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it would make the management look worse when they actually do send him down.

12. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Parsons picked up everything so quickly, they didn't think D-League.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Twill averaged a triple double in the D league. Do you increase your game trying to play with Middle Schoolers?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Goes to show how much of a disappointment Budinger has become. He had all off season to get better and instead regressed.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ugh!

I'm talking about what they told him, Marcus Morris, and Patrick Patterson!!! Most likely every draftee is pointed to the CBA and league rules for player movement if there is any question. And on draft night, some teams actually do these kids a favor by giving them a heads up if they are being drafted to be traded. But once they are drafted, the fix is in on all of them. Every one of them can be sent to dleague and will be sent to dleague if their team deems it is best for the player and the team.

My point is they were all told the same thing. If we draft you, you can come to camp and compete. If you are a first rounder, you obviously will be on the roster. But if you are on our roster, you may get sent to dleague at some point for playing time. If you are a second rounder and we give you a guaranteed contract, then obviously you are on our roster unless we trade you and then you are on somebody else's roster. But whichever team you play for, you may be sent to dleague.

In fact, this whole deal of what the Rockets told Hibbert is stupid. It simply doesn't matter.

The bottom line is....................

IF you are drafted in the NBA draft and you sign a contract......THEN you can be sent to dleague to get playing time and develop!!!!

Any team that tells a player that there is no circumstance under which they won't be sent to dleague is simply LYING or they aren't a very good organization. The Mavs just got done sending LAMAR ODOM to dleague!!!

There is no team in the NBA that can guarantee to a draftee that they'll never have to play in dleague. And it doesn't matter what they say anyways. What matters is what is in the CBA. The CBA says teams can send players to the dleague. And I think they can do it in the first 2 years. So, maybe the Rox were the only team that mentioned the dreaded word "dleague", because it isn't a dreaded word to them. And maybe other teams like to blow smoke up these players ....es. I don't know. There is no team in the NBA that can guarantee to a draftee that they'll never have to play in the dleague.

#95 jopatmc, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  16. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

A disappointment? He is a quality rotation player and his defense is improving to the point where he is solid on that end of the court. He has made himself more valuable. How is that regression?

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Maybe Chandler is just better than he is?

Doesn't mean Chase has "disappointed", what were your expectations for him?

Chase is having his best year as a pro, actually.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

He has the tools to play like Chandler. Strong, decisive, aggressive yet he settles for less. He's settled for being a spot up shooter which for us is fine since Parsons has filled the hole but sad for Budinger as a player IMO.

19. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Probably going to take some heat for this, but I would rather have a cheap Camby for a couple of years than an overpaid Hibbert. It's not likely we're going anywhere any time soon, so why overpay?

Pugs

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - no doubt, and he got beaten out by a 2nd round rookie, picked up his shorts and settled in as a backup....pure classy professional.

DD