1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

clutch, just want to point one thing out, roy hibbert wasn't actually a highly touted prospect as a freshman hoya, he was only the 20th best center in his class according to rivals, generally a 3 star prospect, and really lacked offensive and defensive skills needed to man the paint.

his height, in addition to the much needed development he made at gtown in JTIII's system, resulted in his high rank on many draft boards after his senior year.

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Jordan sure

McGee was drafted one spot after Hibbert though...

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Ah, but therein lies the rub.

Given the lockout-shortened season, THERE IS NO PRACTICE TIME!!!

Seriously, the Rockets will have about 12-13 practices TOTAL this entire season. It's crazy.

Also, even in a normal NBA season, there are certain stretches in a team's schedule where there is very little/sparse practice time. It is in THOSE instances where the Rockets have chosen to send down their young players.

Regardless of a particular player's mental makeup, it's a good move IMO. If the player can't handle it, then they probably don't have the mental toughness to last in this league. The good ones will either (a) accept it or (b) hate it but come back with a vengeance--playing great basketball--to prove management wrong.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You are right.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess judging by what the team said and what Hibbert said is that the team probably didn't tell him that they will, with 100% certainty, send him down to the D-League, but they probably did tell him that the use of D-League (which the Rockets had exclusive control over) was a tool which they think could be helpful.

There would have been no point to a D-League assigment if Hibbert was already beating out guys for minutes.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know, there is no namby pamby in Camby, but there sure is plenty of namby pamby in this thread. :)

If Hibbert would have been drafted by Houston and sent down to RGV for parts of his rookie year, he would have likely dealt with it and worked on his game. It's not like he would have had much of a choice. I also doubt that the D-League thing does much to affect the Rockets chances of signing Hibbert now. First, there is little chance for Houston to get him anyway: he a restricted FA, so Indiana will most likely match all non-stupid offers. Second, whether or not the Rockets would have sent him to DLeague as a rookie, there is no chance for them to send him there if he signs with Houston as a free agent anyway.

#46 Carl Herrera, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't really care. He's not a superstar and he's going to cost a bundle. We need a guy that is bonafide superstar regardless of position. Someone we can dump the ball to and get out of the ****ing way in crunch time.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're writing off an all-star big for not wanting to go to the D-league as a draft prospect 4 years ago?

Talk about "doesn't matter".

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you have to ask that question, then you and I are not going to agree, there is no need to even say it, when the chances are low that he would be drafted, it is leaving a sour taste with Hibbert....

All you should say in that situation, is "We would love to have you, and you would get a chance to compete for minutes right away"....

Nothing more.

DD

10. REEKO_HTOWN

Ah, I see the managerial skills you referenced to DD. Just lie to your employees and give a false sense of security. Glad I'm my own boss.:rolleyes:

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

They told him the truth.

Nothing wrong with it.

He went to a situation where his odds of getting playing time were increased, and he was glad for that, as well he should be. Nothing he said indicates "sour".

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

4 years ago the Rockets were the only team that took the D-League seriously as a potential development tool. Now even the Lakers use it.

Personally I think its pretty lame that Clutch would use this as a knock on Rockets management. He's glad he didnt "come here." As if he would have had a choice. Your a late first round pick, and were lucky to go that low in the draft at the time when he was a raw bumbling, fumbling big man. He would have been playing behind Yao, and Deke as well. This is reality big guy.

IMO, asking Hibbert about this does nothing but stir up controversy that reaching pretty far to find. He knows that Indiana will match his contract and he is happy to be the frachise center with a very good young franchise in the Pacers. Of course he's happy to be there, and has no reason to think he will be anywhere else next year.

Im sure the idea of not having charter planes, and 5 star meals for a few weeks was such a major blow to Roy's ego. This is coming from the same guy who says his dream after basketball is to move to Hollywood and become an actor. Unless there is another Predator sequel coming up I dont think Spielberg is looking to cast you in his next blockbuster any time soon. Your getting paid alot of money to play basketball. Im glad he used this as motivation, but show some class when talking about a team that you think might drive the price up this summer on your potential contract.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So the criticism of Morey has gone from not being truthful and communicative enough with the assets, to being truthful and communicative with the assets.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Why would he do that with his franchise center already in place?

15. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Things of which I grow weary:

armchair managers
    armchair talent scouts
    armchair TV analysts

16. Nook

Nook Member

What????? You mean you don't want to spend 70-80 million on a 12/8/2 center with a questionable attitude and work ethic?

COME ONE MAN!

17. REEKO_HTOWN

No, People just criticize him BECAUSE he's truthful about players and the fact he's always looking to upgrade. They want Morey to lie to them because they think it helps the players. Odd isn't it?:confused:

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is telling them the truth, then there is telling them "TOO MUCH"...when the chances of drafting him were low, and it might make a poor impression on the guy, which it obviously did.

Basically, I do not think Morey handles personel management well, there are times he should be honest with employees, and times he should hold back with potential employees.

It is a fine line to walk, and admittadly, my area of expertise is in Video game management - but I still deal with highly sought after employees with large egos....

If you are going to pay someone $250-$300 a year, and they are generally sought after by a lot of companies, there is something to be said for only putting the positive forward, and leaving out the warts.

It is cool though, I know I see things from a vastly different perspective than most on here.

DD

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You're making that up.

He said he was glad he didn't come here because of the lack of opportunity at the center position in Houston.

Not because of anything we said or did.

If anything he appears pleased at how we handled the situation.

He has every right to be happy he didn't come here, sitting behind Yao and Deke wouldn't have done him many favors from a playing time/career opportunity perspective.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Until the D-league is seen as a true minor league system, most players will resent being sent down. I appreciate that the Rockets are trying something innovative, but most teams have not followed. Rookies shouldn't be entitled to anything, but they will notice that few, if any, of their other draftees are ever sent down with them. The talent pool of the D-league is so low that I'm not surprised that they think playing there is a waste of their time.

It must be worse for Morris than it was for Brooks and Patterson. He was arguably better than his twin brother in college, but Markieff cracked the rotation in Phoenix while Marcus languishes here. Marcus has already tweeted about feeling like a loser. Maybe that's all on him, but it's not an ideal situation for anybody.