1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

LINK

It's a nothing lie. But it was very easy to prove. Morey should have been smarter than that. Most GM's think of their players as assets. But the players shouldn't feel that. I remember when JVG told Les he did not want Eddie Griffen on the squad and CD released. Later EG checked into the hospital. EG wasn't part of the team but CD took the time to visit him in the hospital. That's how you make your assets feel a little less like assets and a little more like humans. I am not saying Morey doesn't already do this. But certainly Martin didn't think so. And instead of Morey addressing Martin in a mature manner he lied about it.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He never actually went to D-League, while it is suggested that he wanted to be sent down there. It sounds weird, but it made sense on his behalf, yet not really for the Mavs.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...-mavericks-utah-jazz-skip-d-league-appearance

http://theybf.com/2012/03/02/lamar-odom-dropped-from-the-mavs-temporarily-sent-to-the-d-league

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

who cares? its roy freaking hibbert.. he is 7 foot 3 and yet has not even averaged 9 rebounds a game in 4 years, he averages 12 points so basically he gives you 4 more points and 1 more rebound than dalembert, who happens to play 6 less minutes for that. Are we really willing to pay what 2 million dollars per additional point? I am glad we dont have a shot to get him. Over his nba career, he is a worse rebounder than scola and he gets criticized by us for not rebounding enough. How will we feel about a 7foot plus guys doing that?

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There's no lie there. Put it in the proper context. Martin's accusation was that 90% of the active players on the team felt like a "trade asset". Morey's assertation was that he never refers to the players that way. Martin was talking about the active players on the roster. And Morey was talking about the active players on his roster.

Now, you and I and everybody else knows that the active players are viewed as assets or liabilities. But that's not what Morey was addressing. Morey was addressing Martin's accusation that 90% of the players feel like a trade asset. And Morey was answering by saying that he had never referred to active players on the roster as trade assets.

And if you look at the comments that Solomon attributed to him to prove his point, you will see that in 2 instances, he referred to players not on the active roster as assets and in 1 instance DURING THE OFFSEASON he referred to having to make a trade using "player assets" to move up in the draft.

There is no lie there. Morey was simply saying he doesn't refer to active players as trade assets during the regular season. He didn't take the time to parse every word for us since he was doing a live interview. But when you put Martin's comments in their proper context and you put Morey's response in it's proper context, there is no lie.

The Rockets are very good at making players feel at home and players hate leaving here. But the truth is....it's a business and any of them can be traded and will be traded if the team deems it in it's best interest. That goes for any team in the NBA. There is no lie, no deception here. All that happened was Morey was fixing a misperception in public that Martin caused by running his mouth to the media instead of keeping things in house like a professional. The truth is most every player on every team in the league that has a guranteed contract feels like a "trade asset". Unless they are playing like total crap and not giving any effort to get better. And in those cases, those players should feel like they are robbing their teams and the fans but they probably actually feel like they got the world by the tail, because they do for the moment. I'd rather our players feel like trade assets.

NEXT?

5. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

It's Roy Hibbert, the dude's career high is 12 and 9.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like Hibbert why would he want to leave Indy? They are an up and coming team. It's in the East which means better chance to make the play-offs and Houston can not match salaries with Indy.

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

"I'm happy I didn't come here."

We don't need you either hibbert you scrub

8. Old Man Rock

Okay you win. Morey says, "People use the word assets, I never do. We never say that. These are people."

Within 15 minutes Solomon finds 3 times where he does exactly that. It's a little thing IMO. But if you do not consider that a lie then I guess Peter didn't lie 3 times about knowing Jesus either and you win.

NEXT

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

On if Morey lies? Yes he called players assets before. That is not even common knowledge. It pretty much how the whole assets thing began in the first place. So yes that is a complete and total lie to say he never used that specific word for players.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Even in such a scathing manner, I have to agree.

It's useful for lower end draft picks, but it would be somewhat alarming to send a top 10-14 pick to D-League, especially for such a high pick and from scanning over the last 5 drafts or so. Most players in that 14-21 range are not really raw enough to put in the D-League, while a good proportion of these picks are often good enough to gain a fair enough minutes or a starting spot on the team. For the most part, I'd most of picks are generally NBA-ready, while the aberrant years tend to have the players who aren't NBA-ready picked in the top 14.

A clear sign that a player is not NBA-ready, and that player being shipped to a league that's not quite so competitive and intensive.

If you exchanged D-League with Euro-League, I would feel differently. That's where a player can really improve their games, and it will tell you if a player can make it in the NBA or not. D-League does not really show you how well a player can perform against a high-level of competition (which is what I would be most concerned about).

The development of skills and fundamentals is essential, but I would like to see it against elite or near-elite level players. I hate to say I cannot change my mindset on this, unless it is a player coming straight from high school, but you are not going to see to many high-caliber, very capable amateur players falling into the D-League category, unless something is really wrong upstairs or the player is simply lazy.

I know a player, like Anthony Davis, may not become the next the Bill Russell or Tim Duncan, but I have itching that he's good enough to avoid D-League, same thing a few years ago with Emeka Okafor or Andrew Bogut. In other words, they're not project players. Honestly, when I hear project player, I think about the words, "fixer-upper," which scares me away. That becomes a matter of preference, though. I have to say, most project players tend not to pan out versus someone who is at worst listed an instant professional starter or a solid pro. Project = raw to very raw, and struggles in scrimmages against pro-level players. Honestly, if we are talking about a draft, especially early in the first round with the NFL and NBA. I want the guy who can come in a compete against other starters and possibly all-pro players. That's why you go for players who are more well-rounded or are elite to good in several skill category. You take projects later in the draft, and there's no way I would take a project player in top 7.

It's weird, because if we look at the top 21 players or so in these drafts, most of them are (and were) ready for NBA competition, except maybe the 2010 crew (but those good number of those players are improving).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2007.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2008.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2009.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2010.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2011.html

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are wasting your time with the Morey apologists, they will not see the truth no matter if it is a proven quote.

That is why I just let it go.....

DD

12. Old Man Rock

A beg to differ. I think they see the truth very clearly. They just refuse to give anyone the satisfaction of being proven wrong. But it's all good. I am sure I have done the same thing from time to time. And in the end part of Morey's job is to stretch the truth a little bit. Everyone wants to play and everyone wants to be convinced they are needed. I hope Morey is lying a little to Dragic already and explaining how important he is to this team and how we never really intended to trade him. ;)

It's okay to to lie a little bit for the betterment of the team. Just don't be so stupid to lie about something so easily verifiable.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Circle Jerking.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If Morey's comments about "assets" is the basis of a "history of lying" then you win, Morey haters.

I'm not an apologist for Morey. I am refuting a stupid argument that has no mereit on whether we get good players here. Chris Paul agreed to go play for the Clippers. Was it because the owner and front office were such truth tellers and so honest and didn't make players feel like assets??? No, it was because a player named Blake Griffin plays there.

15. Old Man Rock

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im pretty sure thats a good way to wrap up this worthless thread that has spiraled out of control.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Why is lying to a player preferable to telling the truth?

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No, he's actually kind of right. Morey and staff should just stay quiet. Why say things that are going to make players and agents shy away? "Assets, predatory, we'd send you to the D league"(allegedly) are all things no one wants to hear. Hell, I'm sick of hearing all that mess, don't think for one second, players/agents don't take notice. Don't say more than you have to, makes no sense.

Morey has positioned this team to make moves to get better, but the fact is, positioned is the key word, he has yet to do it. My feeling on the matter is, he needs to do some things to make players think differently about the Rockets orginization. I truly believe FA's aren't so keen on landing in Houston anymore. Until Morey lands superstar level talent, that may be the case for a longtime.

As far as Hibbert goes, I'd probably throw some money at him. With him being restricted and him being soured on the Rockets, doubt it really matters.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This.

Can't you sum it up with,

"Rockets' no-tanking edict passed down by the team's absent landlord has resulted in the team being always overloaded with good-not-great players that the general manager by necessity must try to pawn for an All-Star level dude, a drawn-out process that ends in him trading off players he doesn't want clogging the salary cap and underpaying (in players' eyes) those he can't afford to lose and thus creating a locker-room atmosphere of 'hell, I'm probably killing myself on the court just to make myself valuable in a trade".

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can someone please explain to me how the Rockets are hurting themselves by telling a draft prospect that, should he be selected, he'd likely spend time in the D-League?

The only time a player has a real say in what team he wants to play for is:

(1) he's a free agent
    (2) he's a soon-to-be free agent star player who's asking his team to trade him away

In neither case would the player be concerned about being put in the D-League.