1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Lin and Yang: Why Choose One Point Guard When You Can Have Two?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, I remember listening to that. I don't think he said that's the reason why Bev started but more of this is the strength of these two players (Bev a bit better at defense and Lin more of a creator). The decision is from McHale. We don't know why McHale decided this and can only guess. Oh well, it really doesn't matter that much other than it's part of McHale's weird decision making even though I agreed with this move early on (but man, if Bev continue to struggle into December, he needs to come off the bench).

2. alethios

alethios Member

I thought it was Jeremy Yin and Chandler Yang. What happened to that bromance?

3. Fighton

Fighton Member

good post. i think there are a couple of things at play here:

- lin is expendable and they need to know if bev is able to play starting PG for a season before they trade lin for a PF. bev is given every chance to succeed.

- harden may very well prefer bev (as do howard) but i agree with you - what harden wants may not be what's best for the team. not that he doesn't want what's best for the team, but that's why we have coaches coach and players play. we did much better as a team last year when lin was running point in a traditional pg sense. but it's up to harden to want to give that up, not mchale.

- the second unit needs to contribute more and with lin in the second unit, it provides a better overall balance to the team. we saw in numerous games so far that the second unit have had to dig the team out of holes the first unit put them in. that's the benefit of having a balanced team; your second unit is able to sustain and surpass the production of the first unit.

- bev had mchale at "hello". this whole "fit" reasoning that's been given by mchale is so subjective - you really can't prove definitively one way or another - it's not about competition; it's solely about mchale's preference and his preference only. it doesn't matter who's playing better and what the stats show and so forth. it's about what mchale sees and what he prefers. mchale loves bev. bev had a strong first practice (his best practice ever!) and had mchale wondering why he would even need to go down to D-league at all. he made a very, very strong impression on mchale that first week he was a rocket. as opposed to lin, who had a shaky start to the season coming back from surgery. mchale was a scrappy, elbows flying, get under your skin, borderlin "dirty" player in his days, and i think he sees a bit of that in bev.

1 person likes this.
  4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

How can it be a return if Lin's never played 6th man before? and lol at two stickied threads about Lin.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think he meant a return to the bench.

I've explained why I keep the other stuck. This is a new article.

6. hltiki

hltiki Member

perhaps harden is better off defending small forwards anyway due to his relative strength and relative deficiencies in agility and speed at the 2.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Yes, you are most certainly old. You might as well have gone all in and compared the TT experiment to Tusk.

;)

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't care about who starts. I care who finishes the game.

That role should go to whichever player is hot at the moment. Clearly, Lin had the hot hand against Toronto and deserved the burn he was getting. That might not always be the case, though.

9. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

I thought the premise of this article is that lin and Bev should start and harden will come off the bench as 6th man. Was disappointed.

10. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

You must get disappointed a lot if that's your thought process.

11. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Weak...

12. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Indeed. If Lin doesn't play well, they'll say he should come off the bench as 6th man. If Lin does play well, they'll say he's "best suited" as 6th man instead of starting.

1 person likes this.
  13. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Which is why mchale dislikes Lin. Anyone who doesn't see that is a knucklehead or a mchale/morey troll

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So true. I heard from McHales cousins neighbors assistant that McHale strongly dislikes Lin and all he stands for. Based on this info it's an undeniable fact

15. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Weak...

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Kinda like when he doesn't play well it's because McFail and ball hog Harden and when he does play well it's still McFail and ball hog Harden.

17. keldraco

keldraco Member

i told u bev fit lin better then harden

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is unfortunate that this matter involves the so-called LOF phenomenon. The PG controversy is actually a worthy topic for a hearty debate.

I personally believe that changing the starting PG according to a theory of "fit" is an unnecessary move. But because this happens to be the position of Lin fans, my opinion is quickly dismissed by those more "knowledgeable" posters.

1 person likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

At some point, I expect Rockets to go three guard with a parsons as the 4 or the 6th man.

20. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

This game is too fast for me, I miss Harden...bring back ISO ball.

1 person likes this.