1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Lin and Yang: Why Choose One Point Guard When You Can Have Two?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 13, 2013.

1. nono

nono Member

Clutchfans see an amazing transformation of a 6th man.

99% of the league sees a demotion to the bench.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Just because you don't read doesn't mean that I didn't say it.

3. TTNN

TTNN Member

yes, last season in playoff we started all three guards. However, you know that James Harden is another PG in the team, so we have always start two PG in the team anyway.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Oh, that's right about NYK. Wish I had read what you had posted in that thread.

5. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Yes, yes, yes!!!

6. TTNN

TTNN Member

yeah, CF see Jeremy get 31 pt off bench, so wow, the 6th man role fits him well. But they did not see Jeremy got 38pt starting twice in his career, and get 29pt playing along with James Harden against Thunder without OT. The starter role fits him well too.

Jeremy played well this season period, that's due to his improvement during summer, not because he is playing off bench.

1 person likes this.
  7. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Lin is best used as the 6th man, there is no debate.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Beverly just isn't very good right now.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No not really.

In fact, I would argue it's the opposite.

10. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

There isn't? I keep having to scroll on Clutchfans to find a neutral safe zone nowadays. Maybe you're adding to the debate? ;)

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Well if we are talking POINT GUARDS then brooks should be right there in this discussion. From my understanding the second unit lacked a playmaker if one of our pgs where to start. So why pick just 2 when you could use 3 that has skills to help team win and fill a known void ?

12. Play07

Play07 Member

unbiais

13. JBar

JBar Rookie

For what it's worth, despite not starting most of the games, Lin has a higher minutes per game than Rose, Parker, Westbrook, Conley, Parker, etc. Now it's true that the double overtime game had an impact on his average, but it's also clear that Lin is going to be getting major minutes whether he starts or not. Let's hope that helps to reduce the off-the-bench controversy.

14. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Lin is shooting slightly better than Curry right now. Start Lin now!!! Ride the hot hand MCH until it not.

15. conquistador#11

Patrick Yang? that's racist!

(It was a great read with the nostalgia of sammy and kenny. I wish the chronicle journalists would put effort in writing great local sports articles like this one.)

16. SugarLandDream8

There are some flaws to your article. First Jeremey is the one with the NBA experience and history of starting in the NBA. He started all 82 games last season and started during Linsanity for the Knicks. Beverly is the inexperienced PG like Cassel. It is natural for a coach to want to stick with the vet (Kenny Smith) instead of relying on a rookie. Second Kenny was a solid player. He avg 17 ppg some seasons while Beverly in his brief NBA history has been mediocre at best during the regular season while Lin has shown flashed of greatness. To replace your starter who produced solid numbers playing all 82 games last season with an unproven rookie with mediocre stats is not comparable to what happened in the 1990s when Coach T wanted to stick with the proven vet with solid stats over the unproven rookie who had great potential. In today’s scenario Jeremy is: the vet, the guy with the potential, the better player, the guy who has proven himself through 82 games and Linsanity, etc.

2 people like this.
  17. JBar

JBar Rookie

Lin already has more minutes per game than Curry.

18. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I think Harden is good enough he doesn't have to moonlight as PG. He's big enough to slot into the 3spot too. Coaching has tried to hide his lazy defensive efforts by moving him around in positions on the defensive end too. I'm not criticizing his PG skills, but I think Harden moonlighting as PG should be per scenario and not a stable for the team.

19. Drphil

Drphil Member

It takes time for word to get around league. Jeremy just needs to worry about him and play consistently.

Visit any other team forums we're about to play and they're still talking about how our 3 pointers and Chandler parson will demolish them. They all have no clue about our 3 point slump and Chandler Parson slumping. They are still not updated with what's currently going on with the team.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I want to go back to what made the Rockets lead the league in scoring last season. Lin starting at pg seemed to work perfectly fine. Why change for the sake of change?