1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Kevin Durant to Houston? Don't Hold Your Breath

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

P.G. - Harden (6-5)
    S.G. - Parsons (6-9)
    S.F. - Durant (6-10)
    P.F. - Howard (6-9)
    ..C. - Asik (7-0)

This Starting 5 + RGV scrubs still = Championship!!

2. keez857

keez857 Member

Harden and Howard aren't on board with winning championships?

3. verysimplejason

If that's "possible", I'd trade the whole team with the exception of Howard and Harden just to get KD. It's an instant ticket to the finals. The other positions would just be fillers. Just look at the Heat when they almost discarded everybody except DWade just to get LBJ and CB. It's the same thing.

4. verysimplejason

That will put the Rockets in super over the salary cap much more than the Knicks and Lakers at their highest. I expect for tickets prices to raise at least 3x.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the respect, but unless the salary cap increases at a dramatic rate, there just won't be enough room to go out and give Kevin Durant a competitive offer in the open market.

There is a HUGE difference between the situation leading up to adding Dwight and any situation involving Durant. Namely, having Dwight's contract on the books.

When the Rockets were pursuing Dwight, I never once argued that the Rockets couldn't find the cap room to sign him. It was just a matter of moving a couple of extra contracts. With the trades of Morris in February and then Robinson and White in July, they created that extra room.

However, now that Dwight is on the books (at $23M or so by 2016), there's no "moving contracts out" to be done once you've stripped the team salary down to just Dwight and Harden. Those two together take up a majority of the salary cap. Even if you move EVERYONE ELSE out, those two contracts don't get any smaller.

Could the Rockets orchestrate a sign-and-trade in 2016 (or even an outright trade before then) for Durant? Sure. That's within the realm of possibility.

Could the Rockets have the cap room to add Durant? That's also conceivably possible, but it requires dramatic increases to the salary cap that are simply outside of Morey's control.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What happened to old Les being willing to go over the cap for the right player? Why isn't Durant the right player?

Oh, I guess it is just a maximizing the profit type business?:(

7. dragonz

dragonz Member

basically we are back to the Yao-Tmac era salary-wise.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If Les was allowed to just pay Kevin Durant the max, he would do cartwheels on his way back from the bank to hand over the money to KD.

Unfortunately, the NBA has a salary cap that prevents such things from happening.

I believe you are thinking of Les's statement about his willingness to pay the LUXURY TAX for the right player(s). To even be in a position to pay the luxury tax, a team must still comply with salary cap rules and only utilize salary cap exceptions (either free agent exceptions such as Bird rights and the MLE or trade exceptions via salary matching rules) to do so.

9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

That would be very sick. That would be the best lineup I ever seen in Rockets history. Would be 82-0, LOL.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Of course it's possible, in fact, it is likely IF the three of them want it. This thing gets hammered out during the moratorium. DH opts out, the three amigos agree to split the cap about equally, a la Bosh-LBJ-Wade, then Morey dumps Parsons and every other contract before the signing of DH and KD, a la TRob/RoyceWhite. So you end up with DH-KD-JH-room-exception-FA and 8 min players.

Players who willing to take a slight paycut are pretty much fully in charge of their destiny.

11. thejav

thejav Member

:rolleyes:

12. FearTheBeardJH

unfortunately you can't turn salary cap off. Parsons and Asik are getting +10M per year and they expire before Durant so you can't use bird rights to go over the cap.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Howard has an opt out clause in 2016. He will opt out that season for anything short of a catastrophic injury. And then sign a long term contract with the Rockets.

Yes, if the Rockets want to have any semblance of a team surrrounding Harden/Dwight/Durant core, Howard and Durant both must take some paycut. But it doesn't have to be a huge amount. Maybe $2mil/yr from both players. Dwight especially will likely take a paycut anyway because he should be in the decline by then. And the Rockets will give him extra years and extra benefits in exchange for a lower annual salary.

The cap is scheduled to go up to $64mil next year. And assuming a minor increase for each of the next two years, I fail to see why it wouldn't work.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Oh, no question about it, Howard WILL take less than Max. What are his options, really? If ROX would offer him a 4yr deal starting with 105% of his salary with 5% increases, that still beats any other offer he can get. Compare this to a 5yr deal starting @80% of his salary, with 7.5% increases, and opportunity to play with Durant. Given that this deal will make him way overpaid in yr 5 when he'll be 36yo, I think you take the second "pill".

KD will have to appear likely to take less. if he does, OKC will have to fold and do a S&T for Parsons+ . People seem to forget that even Dan Gilbert agreed to do S&T for LBJ, despite throwing a fit. So if the Rockets have moveable assets (Parsons, TJ, DMo, 2014 MLE free agent, some 2015 FA signed such as Lin or others) then a S&T is quite likely...

15. alethios

alethios Member

What if the Rockets win the championship before KD becomes available? Would this then become a moot point? We're probably more likely a decent PF away from winning it all.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Loyalty comes in AFTER thery won championships with their team. Will KD be able to win one in OKC?

When they reach a certain age and they still don't have one, they want to chase a contender.

Legacy trumps loyalty. They've seen how the public had embraced Lebron after he became a champion.

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Sir, loyalty is a two-way street! Have the Spurs ever let down Tim by not doing what is needed to keep the players he wants to play with and chase championships? James Harden was instrumental in getting OKC to the Finals, good teammate to KD and Russ, sacrificing his game. If their sleazebag owner had been loyal to him and paid the market rate everything would have been great in OKC.

The moment they traded James, KD was like, "Oh, OK, that's how this is played, OK, I'll keep that in mind."

18. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

This is a team that has had a COMPLETE overhaul of it's roster in two years so I would not being saying anything is certain for the next two years... Alot could happen that could make this happen.

But hopefully our team as is can win the Title and we can stick with these guys.

20. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Bima...cap-wise we know this would be difficult to accomplish. With that said, I asked myself why would Rose say this? I'm pretty sure he knows the cap situation as well.

There are only 2 possibilities: A. he's simply a ratings-w**** or B. does he know something that we don't? Maybe he has heard through the grapevine that all three guys would be willing to take less money to play together?