1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Kevin Durant to Houston? Don't Hold Your Breath

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 23, 2013.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Makes sense. We can't put the franchise on hold for 3 years waiting for something that has a tiny probability of actually happening.

The best bets are still Love or Aldridge in 2015.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just curious - - who had the better summer of '12, Presti or NotHockeyGuy?
    The correct answer: DM the GM.

3. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

i bleed red, but the potential of Durant, Harden, and Dwight?

i will hold my breath until i turn blue.

4. thejav

thejav Member

Coming from the same guy that said jordan was gonna play this year.. :/

5. Vpballa916

this whole thing about players and "loyalty" is just nonsense. have we not learned anything about this "loyalty" shtick, with Dwight Howard? please, this really is business, and these guys aren't stupid. these owners treat these guys like assets, and players know this. The only thing Durant would owe to OKC would be to the fans, and a 'Thank You' would be more than enough--should he decide to move on.

6. Vpballa916

the season hasn't even started, yet. MJ is crazy enough to do it, with that big ass ego.

7. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Jalen Rose>BimaThug

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Actually it sounded like you had been reading Stephen r Donaldson. Hilarious exchange. Glad you're giving lawyers a good name.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the only way it happens is a pre conceived plan by harden, dwight and durant.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I'm not so sure Harden or Howard would be on board with this... If somehow, someway the Rockets land KD.. Harden would get way fewer looks & Howard would be pretty much relegated to defense, rebounding, and alley-oops.

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

If winning wasn't Howard's goal he wouldn't be in Houston.

12. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Ok then, how about LBJ?

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Have Tim Duncan been loyal to the Spurs? Magic was and is still loyal to the Lakers. So sir some players have been loyal to the franchise that drafted them. You also have players like Pierce who wanted to end their careers with the team that drafted them but management went a different direction. Therefore, some franchises are not loyal to these Superstar players either correct.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Would be sweet as H*** but I don't see that happening. LOL Jalen Rose needs to put down that kush.

15. rogower

rogower Member

If you want try to figure out what teams may or may not do, you have to understand what teams can and cannot do, which means you have to completely understand the logic of the collective bargaining agreement, along with each team's payroll situation.

This requires more time and effort than ESPN talking heads are willing or able to commit to. Also, the goal of ESPN is not to provide accurate information, it is to make money. There is a 100% chance that a Jalen Rose prediction based on zero informed analysis generates more money/attention than a detailed analysis by David Weiner that explains why Jalen Rose's prediction is stupid.

In order to find good analysis of NBA matters, you really have to try hard. If you just accept what you are spoon fed then you really aren't going to know what's going on. This is, of course, true about all information, in general. Critical thinking = good stuff!

Thank you, B.T.!

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

BimaThug. I respect your cap knowledge hugely, but honestly it's not THAT difficult to create cap space in the hands of a GM like Morey. This is similar to when the Rockets "technically" didn't have enough to sign Dwight Howard this offseason. It's honestly not that difficult to manipulate the cap enough to make it work.

The only question in my mind is whether the Rockets go for Durant in 2016 or Love/Aldridge in 2015. Because to me they're mutually exclusive in terms of long term planning.

Going for Love/Aldridge in 2015(or before that in a trade) would mean keeping Parsons on his current deal and give him the raise after a 3rd star is on the team. And basically let most everyone else expire except Beverley, Cannan, and perhaps 2014 pick(s).

Going for Durant in 2016, means the Rockets are better off making Parsons a RFA and sign him to a 4 yr deal. By the time 2016 rolls around, that's only 2 years left and easily tradable if necessary. Lin and Asik would then be traded for players who expire in 2016 or 2017. Or let them expire in 2015 and sign some short contracts.

I don't think cap is the matter. But rather, Kevin Durant not changing his mind that he wants to come here 2 years before FA that matters. The problem is that the Rockets have to sacrifice some of their win-now potential to make room for the possibility of Durant. But if he goes elsewhere, the Rockets would've made those sacrifices for nothing. And when you have a contender, even a fringe one, these sacrifices matter a lot.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Why does whoever we trade Asik/Lin for have to be on a one year contract? Can't we package them for whoever, then eventually when the time comes, offer that player in a sign and trade for Durant/Love(or keep the player if they decline)?

18. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Best Scenario is a a sign and trade... if there is a hint of truth to this, I'm quite sure morey start stacking 1st round picks again... and I'm absolutely positive that morey can have a lot picks in 2 years, maybe even a couple of early 1st round picks...

and knowing Presti, he will not let his players go for nothing... so similar to the harden trade, he will also try to get as much assets as possible for his players...

no chance of signing a free agent kevin durant... we get him via sign and trade...

19. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I held my breath too, I was only able to hold it for 1 minute and 20 seconds. I don't think he's coming =\

20. Rokman

Rokman Member

LOL! This never gets old!

Morey would move into the ranks of greatest GM ever if he were able to pull Durant here. Too bad it is not financially feasable to keep our core in place. If there were a way to keep both Asik and Parsons while trading Lin + whoever + Picks for 10 years that would be Awesome but not possible.

One can dream. . . .

P.G. - Harden (6-5)
    S.G. - Parsons (6-9)
    S.F. - Durant (6-10)
    P.F. - Howard (6-9)
    ..C. - Asik (7-0)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I would be that kid in the .gif for the next decade!