1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. RocketsBall

RocketsBall Member

I'll do this in a heartbeat! Williams can bring us so much more than Lowry right now. Yeah even though Lowry is giving us pretty much the same numbers, he's still not viewed as a "superstar" where as Williams is, and superstars want to play with other superstars hence Dwight Howard! Then if we manage to keep Martin, we'll be set for the next couple years :)

2. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

You know I actually had a dream that I was watching ESPN and it reported that the Houston Rockets had struck a deal with the New Jersey Nets and we were sending Lowry, Martin and something else for D-Will. Didn't remember what else we were getting though... haha. Just thought I would share that with you all. :p

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I don't want Deron. In my opinion the only players worth the Max are centers and SF. Imagine running super big with D12 and DaBert.

4. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

want a cookie? :rolleyes::p

5. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

how rude :rolleyes:

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Restart this poll now and we might have different results and opinions. ;)

7. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

It's laughable how so many are putting Lowry and Williams in the same class. Seriously?

Although, I would do Lowry + Scola + NJ pick for Deron and then also do Hill, Flynn, Williams, Thabeet and the NY pick for Kamen.

So you can have:

PG: Williams
    SG: Martin
    SF: Parsons
    PF: Patterson
    C: Dalembert

With Dragic, Lee, Budinger (maybe) and Kamen off the bench. Not shabby.

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

You would trade a late lottery pick for a half-season rental on a back-up center? I wouldn't.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

unforunatly i would, but only because i want dwight...

as a fan i would be upset and not like it... i love lowrys style and dedication of play...
    as a GM i would be worried about his future with the team because as of now it would just be a rental...

the thing that gives me pause that dwight wont last untill free agency... he will be traded... and whichever team that gets him will insist on an extension agreement... so who knows...

i know derons numbers are down and pretty much the same(not as good) as lowrys... but he is playing un-inspired ball on a horrible team... so i think on a decent team he could get back to his all-star form...

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

But why is it always that way? It feels like deja vu ... overvaluing players based on solid play and not looking at the big picture. That's not to say Kyle Lowry's strong play was a "fluke", but too often fans want to only trade players that struggle and consider good players "untouchable." Brooks? We can't trade Brooks!

Rockets need to make a shift and soon.

Here's D-Will about 20 minutes ago:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vH7nm_8e30U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed with all of that, but the fans are the fans, it is not us that has to make the decision/shift.......

DD

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Clutch,

Why do you keep alluding to DWill being more trade attainable than Dwight?

I see it quite the opposite way. I see Dwight as the likely guy to be traded first and NJ only caving to trading Deron after Dwight is traded and they realize Deron isn't going to re-sign with them but is going to fly away to Dwight's new team.

What am I missing that you are seeing in this situation that causes you to believe that Deron is the one most likely moved first and the one most attainable by us?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course "the fans are the fans" and someone else makes the decisions regarding the team, but the reactions here, if graphed, would look like a rollercoaster on steroids! I can only imagine what seeing that reaction post-game, game after game, must be like for the gentleman responsible for this site and its existence. I'm sure you can, as well.

As for Williams, can we get him, please? He has legitimate size for a point, is an excellent defender, an excellent scorer, but doesn't let that influence his role, is a leader... in short, what you want from a point guard. If Williams has a weakness, it's turnovers, but he still has an excellent assist to turnover ratio (there's that word excellent again, because it fits). I think he would be a perfect fit in Houston. The main concern, of course, is that he can opt out of his contract this summer. I would want an agreement on an extension if we aquired him. Yes, we could do a "Chris Paul," where he agrees not to exercise his option, and we have him at least through next season, rolling the dice on being able to retain Williams. That might be worth the risk.

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I have the same question.

Even if the Nets aren't able to acquire Dwight through trade...they could very well have a high lottery pick in this year's deep draft and could always sign Dwight in free agency. I could see the Nets taking that risk especially considering what they gave up just to be in this position.

15. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Not as good you say?

Lowry 14.6 ppg - 8.0 apg - 6.4 rpg .387 fg%
    Wiiliams 19.6 ppg - 8.5 apg - 3.7 rpg .396 fg%

Lolz at pretty much the same, or not as good.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think he thinks that Williams will be moved first but he might think that Williams would be easier for us to acquire if Howard doesn't end up with the Nets. I think its been stated that Williams won't be moved until Howard is traded to a team where he is likely to sign an extension.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just my two cents:

Apparently Orlando is rumored to be wanting proven players for Dwight... there are better veteran pieces available than ours. Gasol/Bynum, the Boston big three, others. That might make it hard to pick up Howard.

New Jersey on the other hand would probably be happy to get a rebuilding package and we can supply some combination of the following: Promising lottery guys (Morris and Patterson), a top-10 quality lottery talent (Motiejunas), and a potential top 10 lottery pick (from the Knicks)--in addition to Lowry of course, to be their new starting PG.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

DWill will be easiest to acquire if we trade for Dwight and he agrees to not opt out of his contract or he agrees to opt out and sign a 5-year deal with us.

I understand that if Dwight goes to the Clippers where he is running with Paul that Deron may be easier to acquire then. But at what cost? We'd almost have to make another major trade to bring in someone else to team up with Dwight. Otherwise, he can simply fly the coop for Dallas in the offseason. He may be more acquirable in that situation but if Dwight goes to LA, the only way I see us trading for Deron is if he agrees to extend as a condition of the trade. I don't see Morey going blind in for renting DWill and taking the risk he walks away to Dallas in the offseason.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not sure if you're replying to my most recent post when you say "keep" alluding. I'm only talking about fan reaction there. I just saw that D-Will highlight tonight and thought about how 55-60% of the fans wouldn't do it (at the time of the article). Couple that with getting our asses kicked at home by the Timberpups and I just despise the snail's pace (if there even is movement) this team is rebuilding at. Our only chance at being noticed right now is to have one of our players get dunked on by Blake Griffin.

But... to reply to what you're saying -- I agree most likely New Jersey holds on to Deron (they are in a tight spot desperate to be a star location), and the way things are going in Orlando, the Magic could deal Howard. Howard does look more likely to get dealt.

What you may be getting out of my comments is two things: To me, Houston would seem to have some pieces that would be attractive to NJ (outlined in the article... more so than Houston would have for Orlando) and Deron would be more open to playing in Houston than Dwight would. Those are the two things I see.

If you beat out the Lakers (Bynum and/or Gasol), Bulls (Noah) and Nets (Lopez) for Dwight in a trade proposal (hard to see), then you're getting him against his wishes as a rental and you hope to then add Deron to keep him there, as Orlando has been hoping up to this point. All a slim shot, but I see what you're saying as well.

However, unless both of these guys are on the same team by March 15th, one of them is going to have to take "less" to play with the other.

20. Hball

Hball Member

LOL so true