1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I see what you did there. :cool:

2. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

really hard decision. i guess i wanna see if lowry can keep this up for a whole season.

3. dingus

dingus Member

Catching up on this thread was like banging my head against a brick wall. Let's try to reach a compromise shall we?

1. I feel that the majority of those who are willing to trade for Williams fall into the belief that "Stars attract stars". Well, when you look at the landscape of the NBA, it seems, that for the foreseeable future, all of the "stars" have picked their sides. All of the recent draft picks are getting locked up leaving only two possibilities: Howard and Williams. Since there is no way to trade for both Howard AND Williams, and it seems borderline insane to think that Howard or Williams would sign with the Rockets outright (leaving ~$20m) on the table when Dallas can offer the same with a more attractive setting, then it would appear that even if we had a star... there would be no stars left to attract (sorry if that is convoluted).

2. In a vacuum- Kyle Lowry at $6m/yr is more attractive than Deron Williams at $18m/yr

3. Trading Lowry and others for Williams (despite who you guys feel is the better player) would not make the Rockets an appreciably better or worse team.

I think those are things we can all agree on. So everyone should take a deep breath and relax. I think we all hope and pray that Morey would not trade for Williams unless he felt it presented a REASONABLE shot at Howard. And that is just not going to happen.

A few other notes:

-JoeBarelyCares proposal definitely has merit, but I doubt that NJ has any desire for a Martin/Scola tandem. They have Marshon Brooks and Kris Humphries, so our package would not offer much of an upgrade at either position. In my mind, both Martin and Scola have hurt their trade value (the mere mention of being involved in a trade hurts your value) since this offseason, but we could revisit this idea closer to the deadline. Also, we have no idea how desperate NJ may get when it becomes apparent that Howard isn't coming and Williams is going to bolt.

-People on this board wildly overvalue Marshon Brooks.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, I'm asking why you're surprised that LeBron's obviously higher productivity & efficiency in terms of basic stats measures out as higher in so-called advanced stats as well. You're saying it's hogwash that 2 > 1. I'm saying it's not hogwash, it's a fact.

The whole thing about LBJ being a better player than Magic is something you made up after the fact which takes 1) doesn't understand what PER does, obviously, and 2) necessarily incorporates extraneous factors (playoffs, teammates, opponents) that regular season PER doesn't capture, in a very ham-fisted attempt to discredit it.

(that said, it's not outrageous to suggest that LeBron's ridiculous Cleveland regulary seasons in which he put up massive numbers and dragged various gangs of journeymen to the Finals were more impressive than Magic putting up 18-11-6 in a run-in-gun offensive era on loaded teams surrounded by HOF's and all-stars, and that coaches, scouts, GMS would agree with this assessment...hell, I've seen both players play live btw - have you? )

The person supplying the faulty conclusions is you, because you are taking them out of context - it's actually things like PER, adjusted plus minus, etc that you heartily reject, that expressly try to control for situations that aren't comparable - far more so than your "MAGIC HA MORE RINGS THAN LEBRON SO PER SUCKS" "WILLIAMS IS A STAR WHO JUST WINS!" arguments.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets might as well go for it. If it works great, if it doesn't - what do we lose? Years of mediocrity?

6. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Found this part interesting out of the article.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7484258/new-jersey-nets-deron-williams-list-teams-go-to

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

8. Nero

Nero Member

Sounds to me like good news. That will let us go the whole year with Lowry, AND also see the price for a trade actually go DOWN, possibly as low as a draft pick or two with some cuttable filler.

A full year of Lowry, some noise in the playoffs, maybe Lowry becomes the 'Superstar' we have been wanting, and someone like Howard might want to come here that way, or else snag Williams for cheap.

Yeah, good news.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

10. acjeitherocket

cosign.....

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's all yack. After Dwight and DWill are gone, there is no one left of significance. They'll wind up matching an offer sheet given to Lopez.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, Houston is not on the short list of desirable destinations.

13. 45souf

45souf Member

D. WIliams list of teams he prefer's(Not Houston)

I know morey will work his magic...We can beat all those teams offers

//espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7484258/new-jersey-nets-deron-williams-list-teams-go-to

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Chris Broussard. Meh.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Fail on the link. I miss the days where players didn't make these stupid "lists" of where they wanna go. We complain about player divas yet the enabling continues even at the pro level.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Morey wants a star, he's going to have to capture one against their will (i.e. draft them). Evidently, no one of significance really wants to play here.

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Clutch write about it yesterday?

18. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I came here to say this. This guy isn't even on Lowry's level but he's got a "list"?

Cracks me up.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Cmon man, maybe not this season as of now, but Deron has been a top 5, maybe top 3 PG for the past few years.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, we gonna get LeBron James or Dwyane Wade, maybe Amar'e Stoudemire or Chris Bosh too!!

Oh wait a second...

[​IMG]

Wha...what...what ha...what had happened was...