1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Forget D-will, let's go after Marshon Brooks!

2. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

exactly how i feel. People complain about the team not going anywhere but dont want to trade the best players on the team. Its time to make some big moves. Making deals with role players will most likely get you slightly better role players. Its time to blow this team up. The 9000 fans that show up to games might agree with us

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Agree and disagree to a point. If they were to trade for williams, the money is going to be close in out going salaries. So if its lowry,scola,and morris, that's very close to williams salary. By my off the head calculations and the dumping of the 09 class, the rockets would have right at 42m committed to salaries. They would have enough to offer howard a max deal,williams a max deal and still have quality role players. Hell, maybe they do what lebron and bosh did and take 14m per yr. That's not even including dalembert contract which has a 1.5m guarantee, but counts 6m in a trade. Its the same money, just allocated dfferent.

4. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I'd trade Kyle immediately. I do not see Kyle playing any better than he has now, this is pretty much his prime. Deron will bring in fans and players, but sorry to say that Kyle won't. Nothing against Kyle but he was a low risk high reward. It's time to trade rewards!

5. dingus

dingus Member

Furthermore, we only have this 2 year window to make hay with Lowry's contract. Who do you think we are going to sign (or even trade for) in the next two years? What are you going to be saying when Lowry is making $10-12m per year?

If you can trade for Williams at the deadline you do it and try to force Howard's (and Williams') hand. Otherwise there are too many other likelier possibilities
    than both of them ending up in Houston during the offseason (no matter who or what we offer)

6. dingus

dingus Member

As everyone is saying you only trade for Williams if Howard is a POSSIBILITY (no matter how remote). Morey may end up with egg on his face, but I'd rather see him take a chance then continue on this carousel of .500 basketball.

So you approach Dan Fegan/Howard with your plan and say hey would you like to play with a rotation that looks like this:

Williams/?
    Martin/Lee
    Parsons/Budinger
    Patterson/?
    Dwight/?

+ 1 (maybe 2) draft picks?

That is a contending team, but is it more enticing than Williams, Nowitzki, Howard and PuPu platter that Dallas can offer? I don't know. Worth a shot.

Not to mention we'd have a boatload of trading flexibility with that roster (Draft picks and Martin could be turned into a nice player)

7. Rocket_Man_2.0

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

9. dingus

dingus Member

That's a wet dream. Dallas can offer more with Beaubois, L.A. can offer more with Gasol.

A nice dream, but unfeasible.

(Of course we ARE talking about Billy King here...)

10. Htown's2kFinest

Love Lowry but I'm in on this trade.

11. Htown's2kFinest

I wouldn't want to see Scola go with Lowry however. Lowry and Kmart! Get 'r done Murray :grin:

12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I just don't see the point in pulling a trade like this. A) I don't see the Nets trading Williams unless Howard gets traded, and Howard just isn't going to get traded to Houston. B) Although the point that 'Lowry can't sustain' is a valid argument, wouldn't you rather roll the dice on him, especially considering his contract? DWill's good, but what did he ever really accomplish with Utah? C) Suppose you do trade Lowry + Scola + Pick. Then what do you have? DWill/KMart/Parsons/Patterson/Dalembert? Do we really think this can compete with the Thunder & Heat? No.

What the Rockets should do is wait until the draft and re-evaluate what the team has. Perhaps we can trade up and grab a Jeremy Lamb/Harrison Barnes, then entice Love in a couple years to come to Houston (who has vocalized his love for McHale). Wouldn't a Lowry/Lamb/Parsons/Love/Dalembert lineup sound so much better in 2 years (albeit most likely without Dalembert)?

WITH Lowry playing above the level of Williams, the Rockets are still just a 7-7 team. I get that Houston would become a more enticing free agent spot, but who's to say Lowry won't sustain his current level of play? Lets gamble on that for the time being. Lowest risk, very high reward.

13. alethios

alethios Member

I'd rather have Eric Gordon. We need to keep Lowry - he will anchor our championship team.

trade Martin/Scola/Bud/Hill +picks

Lowry/Dragic/Flynn
    Gordon/Lee/Twill
    Parsons/Morris
    Patterson/D-Mo(when we get him)/Morris
    Dalembert/Thabeet/GSmith

oh and send Adrien back to DL

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

How about Kmart + Scola for Marshon Brooks + Humphries? I have a feeling Marshon Brooks will be >>>>> Kmart + Scola combined in a few short years

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

@ Mkieke, I appreciate your detailed and thought out post, and you should post more often. The problem I have with your scenario is that it's all based on a"maybe" meaning that maybe Lowry keeps this pace up, and maybe we get some solid building blocks in the draft, and maybe we can sign Kevin Love.

@ alethios, I would definitely try to get Eric Gordon. His production level at his salary is insane.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

A lot of interesting perspectives from posters here.

I'm still against potentially trading Lowry, Scola, and picks for DWill.

For those saying that Lowry is going to grow as a player, I tend to agree with those that say thats doubtful. He might refine his game slightly over the next few years, but I dont think he's going to improve appreciably over the next few seasons and think its smart for the Rockets to be shopping him with Scola.

The problem I'm having is in my own appraisal of DWill vs. others. Many posters have attempted to analogize between DWill and CP3- they are not the same players. CP3 led the Hornets deep into the playoffs multiple seasons in a row. This year the Hornets are 3-10 and are destined for the lottery. If CP3 were on the Nets right now, I believe their record would be better and that his numbers would be better.

DWill is certainly better than Lowry, but he's not CP3 and to treat him like that is, in my opinion, a mistake. Lowry for DWill is an immediate upgrade; trading Lowry, Scola, and picks for DWill is going to take this team backwards.

What's going to complicate the situation further is the market, and there's no question that there are teams out there willing to part with substantial pieces of their teams for DWill, so even if we attempt to make a trade commensurate with his market value, other teams will drive up the price.

The strongest argument I've read is the idea that we need to do this rather than stay put because inactivity isnt going to render much. This, I can see, but part of me wishes that once we have to make such a move, we're able to do so for a legit superstar than one whose reputation has been inflated above his actual production.

1 person likes this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

You have to trade for Williams if you get the shot because of the possible access to Howard in FA. I would hate to decline the option on Dalembert next offseason (because I still even with Howard you need a second center) but we cant pay him 7 Mil and have Howard/Williams/Martin IMO.

Lowry+Scola+first rounder+Budinger would be fine with me. They have have one or two of the 09ers as well if they want. Although I want to keep Twill.

Maybe Yao would come back for the minimum to back up Howard and make a run at a championship.

Best Case Dream Scenario

Howard/Yao
    Patterson/Hill
    Parsons/Morris/T Williams
    Martin/ T Williams
    Williams/Lee

18. rju1986

rju1986 Member

For Houston*, if I had to choose?
    Kyle Lowry>Deron Williams. I bet he would be on par with Rajin Rondo convo, or better for best pgs in the East.

D. Rose/(D. Wade)> D. Williams etc..

***Here's a side thought/convo, RANK YOUR IDEA OF <U>BEST</U> -- PG-- IN THE EAST
    ***THEN SLIP [KYLE LOWRY] IN THAT LIST.

Also overall; who do you think has better starting pgs, the west or east? :)

19. ThaShark316_28

What about Billy King? He's not a bad GM by ANY stretch...

20. jae713

jae713 Member

I would do this trade in a second. As much as I like Lowry, I don't think he will get much better. It's just something about the way he plays. Guys like CP3 or Deron make the game look easy. Lowry has to bust his ass 200% percent more than those guys just to put up numbers close to theirs.