1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

here's a question: if lowry keeps it up (of course that's a big if) and say makes all-star reserve, would howard consider pairing with lowry instead?

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Plz do not compare sacramento with Houston. I live in sac I should know.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Now here would be a reversal of fortune:

Houston trades Lowry and all four 09 draft busts (after no options are picked up, making them expiring contracts), for DWill. Everyone revels in Morey's prowess in basically trading Lowry for DWill straight up, and lining up to take the lead in the D12 sweepstakes.

But then NJ has the cap space to sign both DWill and D12 this summer!

NJ lineup:

Lowry/Farmar
    DWill/Brooks
    Morrow/James
    Lopez/J. Williams
    DHoward/Lopez/Petro

:eek::mad:

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

How is that a "big if"? guy did it pretty much all last season after Brooks went down and appears to have even improved in the offseason. You can rest assured he will keep it up. Whether he makes the all-star team is out of his control.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

He said cap room also attracts stars, I gave him an example of a team with tons of cap space.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i wish we can do some lopsided deal where we only have to give jordan hill and flynn for deron.

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

If it means getting other superstars here, then yes.

Williams is a superstar anyways. He can create his own shot, which Lowry cannot do.

8. Roxs-Redemption

I'd rather keep Lowry. Sorry Clutch.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I like Lowry, but Williams is much better and will be much better throughout his career. No way we should pass on opportunity to get him

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

No

Lowry has respect here in Houston. He has no respect outside of Houston, that's why he is one of the most underrated players in this league

11. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Howard is looking to win a ring. While Lowry is a borderline all-star, Deron has the potential to be one of the best. He wont be enticed to come here cause of Lowry alone. If Rockets make a surprise run and show something in the playoffs then Howard might consider Houston.

Another thing that should be considered is the lack of fan support. Everyone knows Howard has a thing for publicity and showmanship. That could possibility play a factor. The attendance record was even bad when we had a healthy Yao/Tmac.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

No way would I do this trade. I would trade Kevin Martin and whatever else needed for him though and have A Deron and Kyle backcourt.

13. valorita

valorita Member

To put things into perspective...

Deron's is about a 9.5 in terms of skill level as a PG.
    Kyle is probably at about 8.9.
    The difference is between a legit top 12 player when healthy vs an all-star caliber player under the right conditions.

Here's the kicker though.
    Kyle makes 1/3 of what Deron makes and is younger/healthier.
    All things equal, Kyle is the better value because he allows you to spend ~$10 million dollars that you wouldn't have otherwise due to his bargain contract.

If you can assure a deron/howard combo, you do it 10 out of 10 times.
    However, if Dwight is not available, then you move on and try to build around all-star caliber Lowry and his bargain contract.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Here's the way I see to acquire both guys.

You send Orlando.....

Lowry, Martin, Dally, Scola, and Thabeet....and you get back Dwight, Hedo, JRich, QRich, Duhon....all Orlando's worst contracts. This leaves us expiring deals of Flynn/Hill/TWill/Dragic to package with Morris/Patterson/Budinger for DWill and Morrow or whoever else NJ wants to dump along with Dwill.

Oh, give NJ the lottery protection so they have a shot at a lottery pick. And give Orlando the rights to the Knicks pick or a future first rounder.

DWill/Duhon
    Lee/JRich
    Hedo/Chandler/QRich
    Dwight/Smith (Dleague)
    Adrien/Chandler

See my sig, it's been up for awhile.

IMO, this is why we are running Dragic out there, to pump up his trade value. Perhaps a team like NJ or Orlando considers him an assett that they want to sign to a long-term deal.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'd rather trade for Kevin Love.

16. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

I'm hoping we could keep Dally in that scenario.

We'd be the Orlando Magic with two of their biggest weaknesses covered: a star wing / pg and a legit backup shotblocking center.

17. houseofglass21

Deron Williams isn't even a superstar. He's like Melo. Superstar only because people say it. Lowry is younger and has only kept improving each year. If we trade Lowry for Williams we're f###### ourselves. Trade Martin for him but Lowry...NO WAY

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's much harder to sign somebody to go with your all-star point guard when he makes 18 million instead of $6 miillion. Do the math, you'll see.

Oh, and if stars attract other stars, Willilams wouldn't be on the block in the first place.

19. Ricksmith

I'd rather take the chance of "f###### ourselves" instead of standing pat and hoping Lowry can somehow keep his numbers up and attracting other stars.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ricksmith

You left out the part where you send contracts out in a trade. That's usually how it works. Sure, he'll make around 18 a year, but subtract lowry's 5.8, plus whatever else you need to trade away to make it happen, and signing another star player is very realiatic.

How is New Jersey supposed to get other players when they're only other trading piece is injured? The only reason Dwight has New Jersey on his list is because of D Will.