1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Except it wouldn't be a wash. You would have more cap space dedicated to Williams than Lowry takes by a wide margin, and be minus whatever players and picks you gave up along with Lowry to make the deal happen, and have a player who is two years older. I don't really see why Williams would agree to extend here if we don't have a practically guaranteed second star lined up though. Williams agreeing to an extension at the time of the trade would be mandatory for me to even consider it.

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

3. xAliceInChains

Only if they could swing a deal to get Howard.

I'd give up everything to get D-Will and Howard, but just D-Will. No.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

You never WANT to trade someone who plays with the most heart on the team and comes to play every night. However, if it makes your team better (dwill is a superstar) you have to. Id be fine even if we kept lowry though

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Absolutely agree, and that would seem to lower the asking price for him (the Nets were also desperate at the time, losing out on Anthony)... however, the same could be said about Chris Paul (one 66-game season left rather than 1/2 season) and the Hornets were able to do fairly well dealing him, and doing it to a location that Paul liked. The reason the Clips were willing to give up that was because Paul agreed not to opt out ... to take his player option for the 2012-13 season.

My understanding is Deron has the same option (and so does Howard I believe).

Granted, more time has past since when Paul was dealt so there should be a slightly reduced cost.

And those who wouldn't part with Lowry remind me of those who were very vocal in saying the Clippers gave up way too much to get CP3. Don't hear that much these days.

Agree, and I would think we could beat Dallas in straight trade offers. However, it's going to be hard to beat them as far as a location to form a star trio since we don't yet have a star uno.

But you never know who else could get involved for Deron. Boston and Rondo. Oklahoma City and Westbrook. Denver and Ty Lawson. Of course, as you said... would Deron want to play for those cities? It's a balancing act when it comes to landing a star player. The Rockets reportedly had the pieces to satisfy Toronto in a trade for Bosh, but couldn't convince Bosh. That would have applied also to Chris Paul, I would guess, considering how we gave New Orleans just about all the pieces in that three-way trade and were getting Pau Gasol instead. Same with Dwight Howard -- we're not on his list.

My understanding with Deron is the opposite... it's not his view of Houston that is the issue but rather prying him from his team.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I voted no but now I vote yes bcuz of da Dwight factor so my vote is yes

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I only used Boston and Blazers as examples of the kind of moves we could make. The point was to trade Lowry for another position player if we sign Williams outright. Batum is just very intriguing, and I bet the Blazers would entertain an idea of Batum + 1st rounder for Lowry. Again, only if Williams is singing here would this be discussed (and in the off season at that).

IMO, if Howard and Williams want to play together, they'll have to take less money to sign with an outside team. I just dont think NJ has enough to offer to trade for Howard.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I know how good Dwill is but Lowry is quickly approaching that level and is younger. Obviously if Howard was following it's a no brainer, but I don't know if i have the guts to risk it. Good luck Morey.

9. Nero

Nero Member

Has anyone done a year-by-year breakdown/comparison between Williams and Lowry? Comparing the year Lowry is having now with a typical year from Williams? I would personally really like to give Lowry a whole year to establish himself before seriously considering this deal.

Keeping in mind that Lowry is two years younger than Williams, and is also just now emerging as a top PG, wouldn't it make more sense to simply establish the younger, cheaper guy we already HAVE as a 'superstar', and then build around HIM?

In other words, how exactly does the moniker of 'Superstar' get placed on these guys anyway?is it just stats? Is it championships?

I don't hate on Williams or anything (other than the fact that he will forever have Jazz stink on him), but if the only thing people are pining for is having a player on the team who can be called a 'Superstar', then it seems to me that the best avenue is to do whatever is necessary to boost the guy we already have into that level, where he is accepted unblinkingly as a 'Superstar' just like Williams and any of those other guys.

It's kind of like, who would you rather have right now, Brees or Rivers?

I know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but we have a pretty darn green patch of lawn right here in our own yard. If the issue then becomes 'yeah well what really matters is what Howard thinks', then that's Morey's job to successfully pull off that sales pitch.

This assumes of course that Lowry keeps it up and can pull his weight on the road to 'Superstardom' like he seems to be doing.

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

not unless we trade for deron to play at shooting guard NEXT to lowry.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're probably right. If I recall, the latest best offer was something along the lines of Lopez + 5 future first round picks + salary filler.

At the trade deadline, that might be more intriguing. Especially if the trade becomes something like Lopez + Marshon Brooks + 5 future first (with one of those picks being this years).

That might entice the Magic, if they're thinking rebuild.

12. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

lol so true :grin:

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think Lowry + fillers for Deron is a fair trade, but Lowry + solid, valuable assets for Deron is not a fair trade. On the court, Deron is a tiny upgrade over Lowry, but after taking into consideration their contracts and how likely we are to keep both players in the long-run, Lowry's contract is the better value.

Also, this makes the vetoed Gasol trade that much more painful, to hear that my suspicions that Morey would have tried to trade Gasol and/or Nene for Howard to pair with Lowry were founded. We would've become a top 4 seed in the West with the Gasol trade, and then championship contenders again after landing Howard.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is Williams' Utah days really his equilibrium and his stint in New Jersey the aberration? Jerry Sloan was a great, great coach and really got the most out of his rotation players. I don't know if I'd say it's a given he ever gets back to that level. Maybe we can expect better than his NJ performance, but would he really be any better than Lowry in Houston? I'm not sure.

And if we did have Deron here and he's the Deron of old, does Dwight really follow him to Houston? How much of the appeal of the Nets is Deron and how much Brooklyn?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love Lowry and I think he's just on par with Williams but sadly Williams can attract another star player and Lowry can't.

It sucks to say that but it's the sad truth.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I love lowry, he's one of my favorite rockets ever but i would absolutely trade him and scola for dwill, if dwill signs an extension of course, that nets us one superstar and makes getting a 2nd easier.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe Howard will see the light and realize that he needs to play with the ever improving Kyle Lowry. Right now Lowry is a better player than Williams.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The key here is not talent (K-Low v D-Will) but relevance. I am desperate for this franchise to again be relevant (and also very afraid of a D-Will/DH12/Dirk BigD3-some.

One question is relevance in NYC, and last I checked Brooklyn was a borough in The Apple if not exactly Manhattan. The Russian Prez understands that, so how will things play out? And who wins and who does not?

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One can understand why NYC was the appeal for Carmelo, given it was his home city and his wife wanted to live there.

For Dwight, I think he just wants to win a championship while maximizing earning potential - like every player - with relative indifference to locale. After all, Dallas is on his list, and it's not like Dallas is LA, NYC, Miami, Chicago. It's like Houston - large city, no state income tax, great earning potential, but not those other cities.

I have a hard time believing Dwight wouldn't be open to a trade to Oklahoma City if he ended up with a stacked squad... BUT, he hasn't publicly put them on his list, so maybe locale is important to him.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

5 first round picks? That is more than fair compensation, especially since at least one would have to be in the far future- a future where the Nets are struggling after their two superstars retire.