1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Kawhi Leonard and his ever-changing pivot foot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2017.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some travels are more acceptable than others. The NBA is very lax regarding the "gather" step, especially for superstars. Great players have been taking advantage of that for a long, long time. Including, from our franchise, James Harden and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Sloppiness with planting a pivot foot shouldn't be acceptable, though. That's basketball 101. I don't know how frequently Kawhi commits that violation compared to other players. I hope the Rockets get the word out. I'm sure the Spurs will e sending their own memos to the NBA office abou stuff they think we are getting away with.

2. the shark

the shark Member

Didn't say he's never been called for it. Said I've never seen him called for it.

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So all jokes about gay men are condenscending? Interesting take on that. The 90's called, they want their insecurities back.

I'm joking of course. You're a good poster. When I say "the way it was meant to be played." I meant as currently defined by the NBA rule book. 6 steps makes playing defense in the post literally impossible, and is the opposite of fun in my book.

I'd be cool with a travel on a fast break here and there. Good dunks are fun to watch. I just think post play specifically needs to be watched more closely. We all saw the beat down Yao took due to misguided officiating. This concept is just as frustrating, albeit with travel calls instead of fouls.

Daddy Long Legs and Richie_Rich like this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Wait so are you calling me or kawhi gay? I dont get it lol.

Yah i agree that kawhis travel falls under the category of "wrong" travels and not under the category of "pushing it" travels.

I also agree that fast break travels are way more acceptable than half court set post play travels. I just dont want to complain too much because every superstar gets special treatment from the refs.

On a side note... I think these videos prove kawhi is not polished and still somewhat of a project. This dude looks even more awkward going to his left. He loses all rythym and balance when he is pressured to drive left. Ariza and biglydick better talk about this and try to not let him go right.

MorningZippo likes this.
  5. Daddy Long Legs

I think that it is important to note that on thunderfans during our series with them or spurstalk now there are threads/posts about hardens fouls and extended eurosteps.

The posters who refused to complain about it got the same treatment as me here lol. It doesnt make you lose your fan card if you dont act like a victim guys haha

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Mr. Motiejunas

Kawhi and Harden both get away with stuff.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good damage Clutch. This needs to be stickied.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

No doubt, although Harden tends to get away with things he does knowingly. When he hooks a defender or runs into the back of an unsuspecting big on the way to the basket, that's very deliberate; if the refs aren't giving him whistles, he can stop.

In contrast, if Kawhi is constantly shifting his pivot foot, that's habitual/instinctual. He may be able to stop doing it, but I imagine it would throw off his rhythm.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

here we go again... the lost one trying to show his village he ain't coming back...

and Kawahi does travel with the ball. As a basketball official traveling has come back with a vengeance... tough to call in the speed of the game

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Cant complain about traveling in the NBA IMO

11. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

lol... he does seem to take 5 and six steps sometimes...

12. Daddy Long Legs

As a rockets fan, i hope they call it. As a realist, i dont think they will so I prefer to focus on other things in this series

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Part of this somewhat ironic considering for years so many people would argue that Hakeem traveled on his post moves, BUT while Hakeem probably did travel every now and then on his moves there were never as bad as this. I mean some of those plays Kawhi took steps and changed pivots. He certainly isn't as fluid as Hakeem (but who is?), but some of those are really really bad and should be called. I dont know if they will in this series though. Actually I expect them not to be.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You're doing God's work Clutch.

Uprising likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

yeah,some of those were pretty egregious.

sigh, we're playing 5 on 8 for another entire series.

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Love you pimp, clutchfans is lucky to have you.

8-----D

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

This reminds me of what Hoiberg was complaining about with Isaiah...too bad neither is getting called

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Olajuwon dunked from almost half court in the Portland Series. I am willing to look the other way on this given that Harden is for the most part playing on the edge of fair.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This "extra step" is known as the gather step and it is perfectly legal. There was a rule change in the NBA a few years back to clarify this.

20. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

thanks mangina