1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jordan Hill shows his potential (w/ video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Jordan Hill is increasingly reminding me of a neutered young Akeem Olajuwon. He is raw, about the same height, long wingspan, and is very agile and athletic, but his build is slight and skills are lacking to be generous. We need to get our beloved Hakeem on this guy pronto!

2. bloop

bloop Member

He definitely does show a lot of "want to." So does Scola. He shows a lot of "floor quickness" as opposed to "air quickeness" like Scola. He also seems strong, guys were hanging on his arm trying to foul him.

If nothing else the kid is going to learn a lot just watching how Scola does things on the court.

NY seems to really have ****ed up this Hill's development. This dude needed some PT, if not in the NBA in the D-League. With a little showcase by Morey, this kid WILL be picked up somewhere and could be good trade bait.

3. VictorLHugo

VictorLHugo Member

Still trade bait? He may be a nice backup PF. I don't think we can get Bosh.

4. bloop

bloop Member

Depends on Hill, himself dude.

Morey has a lot of irons burning... he could draft someone, trade for someone, or Hill could develop. If he comes along then we keep him, if he doesn't then you can be sure Morey will trade his ass.

I'm sure Morey is keeping all his options open. Personally I hope he develops he has size, good vision and a lot of stuff going for him. But the PF position is extremely important for Houston's championship dreams... we really need someone borderline all star to play alongside Yao and Scola considering our competition... Dirk, Boozer, Gasol, Duncan, Kenyon Martin. It's a tall order to ask from Hill, esp considering he wasted half his rookie season in NY

5. herro

herro Member

Hill might become far more important to this team than trade bait.

Of course drafting someone like Greg Monroe would change our frontcourt considerably enough to warrant shopping Jordan Hill.

No matter what it benefits us to make sure Hill gets real minutes for the rest of the season. We get a better idea of his potential and other GM's get to (hopefully) salivate.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

This is why we should give Jordan Hill more minutes...It gives a better picture of his potential..or lack of...thus letting Morey know whether he should draft a pf.

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

IDK about that, Monroe is a solid 6'11, probably 7'0 in shoes, so I can see him bulking up and playing the back up center position, so we could have a front court of Jordan Hill and Greg Monroe coming of the bench...

Which could potentially be our starting front court in a couple of years given Yao and Scola age's.....

--RB

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

nothing about him reminds me of dream.

9. herro

herro Member

I was under the impression we would shop Hill in a package to acquire a guy that would play up front with Yao/Monroe.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Maybe someone like Jordan Hill?

11. herro

herro Member

with all of this trade talk and Bosh's name being as popular as it is around here...I was thinking more along those lines...

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I don't know if I would give up Hill, I would much rather shop a package of Brooks/ Scola+ NY picks & filler(Battier & Taylor) for Bosh+filler(Belinelli), allowing us to stay with Hill coming off the bench.... :eek:

Line up-2010/11
    Lowry/ Llull
    Martin/ Budinger/ Belinelli
    Ariza/ Outlaw(FA)
    Bosh/ Hill/ Jeffries
    Yao/ Monroe/ Hayes

--RB

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I don't know anything about Monroe. Has he changed a lot from his freshman year? Excerpt:

"Often maligned for his lack of aggressiveness, below-average athleticism, and soft demeanor as a freshman, the biggest change in Greg Monroe’s game from this season to last season has come on the defensive glass. While his numbers clearly suggest that he’s done a better job rebounding the ball, (his defensive rebounding average is up to 7.0 per-game from just 4.5 per-game last season) John Thompson III’s influence is apparent in his approach on the glass. Unlike last season where Monroe was purely a reactive rebounder, he now frequently makes an effort to find a man, box him out, and then secure the ball. "
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Monroe-1109/

14. worzel gummidge

Agreed, young could be Chris Wilcox is the Rockets new franchise player.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I dont see the suddenness and explosion in Hill to compare him to Amare or Landry. I dont see the enforcer's tenacity to compare him to Charles Oakley. I dont see an all around offensive game to be compared to Bosh. I see a player who's like extra tall Ron Dayne's attitude with dreads, who can be a serviceable league average 6'10" power forward. Chris Wilcox is an apt comparison.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree that there are too many comparisons with Landry. If we're just talking about Rockets bigs, he reminds me of a more athletic, less refined Scola. He has that same fluidity and I see the potential for the same footwork and a similar skillset. Like Scola he flashed good court vision and positioning on rebounds, a solid mid-range jumper, and a soft touch at the basket.

The great thing is, his ceiling is actually higher than Scola's (Luis is already at his ceiling, just needs more minutes to show it). Hill has more hops, more speed, and potentially more ability to finish strong at the bucket. His athleticism also helps him on the defensive end, and he could develop into a serious shotblocking threat in addition to being more active man-to-man.

Is he very raw right now? Yes, definitely. But I think with a lot of work and training and some added bulk, and most importantly, playing time, Rick Adelman! he could be a starter-quality PF in this league.

17. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Reminds me of a scrub version of joakim noah.

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Okay, nice sarcasm :rolleyes: , what I was trying to say was that putting up Hill in a trade for Bosh may not be necessary...

We don't know the trade value of Brooks (who is avg. 20 ppg 5 asst.) in this market, and a combination of Brooks & Scola + draft picks could get a deal done...IMO

--RB

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

We are not trading for Bosh or Stoudemire. We are not getting John Wall. Get over it right now and save yourself some disappointment.

20. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

Bosh isn't coming here people!