1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin's Exit Interview - 2012-13 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 6, 2013.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch. And thanks for dealing with all the comments that might've bugged you throughout the year. It's gonna be an exciting year next year.

2. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Exactly. You have just made my point for me. It's all about pet degree. Curry has it and Jeremy doesn't. So Jeremy will never get the same trust and opportunity that players like Curry and Kyrie have. Do you believe that you can go far if no one believes in you and gives you the chance to grow from your mistakes? Fat chance of that anywhere in life. This is not a knock on coach McHale whom I both like and support. It is human nature. So you ask me then which coach/team will trust him? I honestly don't know. I think nobody does except his ardent supporters. Really he has been and will continue to be condemned. But fortunately he's got the Asian thing going for him so perhaps there may be another team that may want him just like Houston did last year with the only difference in that they actually need him to play PG.

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

3 hours of Jeremy Lin going 'I don't want Chris Paul on our team'

4. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Have you stopped to consider that maybe your desires (for Lin) are unrealistic, and therefore might need some adjustment? I don't think anyone would disagree that he has dealt with quite a number of obstacles in his career thus far, but at the same time, he now has a starting job on a contending NBA team. I think that's pretty much the best you can hope for, particularly if you are looking at how the world really works and how he can be provided the best opportunities to prove himself to everyone.

He's never going to be the drafted golden child and future savior of an organization. That ship sailed years ago, when he wasn't even drafted. And he's never going to be the untouchable superstar on a team - even the Knicks took a pass when they had to choose between him and a luxury cap.

Realistically, what he needs are time to develop and time to play. He has both in Houston. At this point, whether or not he can prove to everyone that he is mediocre, average, above-average, or even great, are all a matter of his performance on the team. He isn't living decades ago where he wouldn't even have a chance to play or where blatant discrimination would not only be allowed but culturally encouraged. For the most part, people want him to succeed - even his haters would recognize that if he proves to be a great point guard that he would serve as a wonderful example of the American spirit, work ethic, and pluralistic society.

I think what you're asking for - a place where he is nourished and all of his particular gifts are used by the team 100% of the time and his "true peak value" is always shown - is just plain not realistic, not just for him, but for any NBA player. By and large, most NBA players don't choose where they go. They go where they get drafted, or where the market takes them, or in whatever team will have them. Not all of those teams particularly understand all of their strengths and weaknesses, and not all of those teams particularly care about the individual players' fit within their system. There are four other guys on the court, and the team is interested (hopefully) in winning games, so if one guy has to do a particular job that maybe isn't best suited to his skillset, well he needs to do it so that the team can win. Otherwise, they'll just go find someone else.

That's the reality that all NBA players face, day-in day-out. Some are lucky enough to find a great fit, but many of them aren't. But the vast majority of them are happy to just have a place in an elite group of professional athletes.

So again, I would repeat - maybe just temper your expectations a little bit and stop repeating yourself constantly in a forum where the people have no power to change anything that you want. Jeremy Lin has a great opportunity right now. He has proven to most objective fans that he is a starting-caliber NBA point guard. He has a starting job waiting for him in a fantastic organization that looks to contend for the remainder of his contract (and perhaps beyond). He may not play his game all the time, but he's going to be playing a game, on an NBA court, with NBA players, using NBA minutes. Whether or not he blossoms into something even greater, he has a greater opportunity to prove that than the majority of players in the NBA, let alone in the world.

P.S. - I think you meant "pedigree", not "pet degree".

3 people like this.
  5. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

From Jerewy How:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z0oo9GCCnF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Fighton

Fighton Member

Nice post, dude. I think Jeremy will say the same thing himself.

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for posting the video.

Most surprising thing for me was that he admitted he was the SECONDARY BALL HANDLER and has to learn to play off the ball.

NO NO NO!
    He's the ******* POINT GUARD, I think he should be the PRIMARY BALL HANDLER and Harden should play off the ball more.

Harden is a better spot up shooter and Jeremy has the better court vision and passing skills.

I think the coaching staff have got this wrong.

1 person likes this.
  8. ERC

ERC Member

100% agree with this response to TC777JLIN168.

I can't fathom a fan bashing his/her favorite player repeatedly in a forum simply for the slim-to-none chance that it could get him traded (supposedly to a team that'd appreciate him more)... :rolleyes:

9. wapz

wapz Member

thaanks for waiting on him C!

10. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Great post. Would rep if I could.

Of course Jeremy wants to improve because he's passionate about basketball, but I think he's already won his big dream. Going from no scholarship, undrafted, fringe player on his way out of the league to starting point guard on a great young team getting paid $25 million -- I mean, what more can a guy who's only 24 ask for??

As a fan you can't tie your identity/ego to a sports figure. It will drive you mad.

11. wincan459

wincan459 Member

But the least he needs are interviews.

Being nice doesn't help winning games, Lin need to camp in the gym during the off season.

12. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Wow, I would rep if I could.

1 person likes this.
  13. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Exactly! Lin needs to go somewhere else where he can be the true PG and grow his game. That's all I have been saying. Houston is the wrong fit.

1 person likes this.
  14. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Thanks for catching the typo.

15. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

I wonder about this too. Seemed like everybody else yesterday was in and out and then Jeremy took forever.

Also, I loved his response to the "starter/bench" question.

He's a good kid.

16. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

17. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

WOW....dude you've wrapped up every statement that makes us dislike LOFs and put it into one post. You are the example we talk about, the person who puts the player over the team. You don't want Lin to grow with everybody else for the better of the rockets?? No you'd rather him be on a shi**y team where he can be the man. Unbelievable. You my friend, are a joke.

18. jvu

jvu Member

no big deal clutch. Ill pay for it

19. Unstable

Unstable Member

Thanks clutch and now waiting for all the wild guesses about what went on between Lin and McHale needing to take so long...... Conspiracies, conspiracies....

20. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

LOLOLOL this part had me rollin

P.S. - I think you meant "pedigree", not "pet degree".[/QUOTE]