1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin, James Harden, Chandler Parsons after 100-91 loss to Pacers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 27, 2013.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Thanks for this post. I thought Jeremy played very well in the third quarter too...and Beverly (or anyone else out there) wasn't setting the world on fire or anything....I just have no idea what the reasoning behind taking Lin out when he was taken out in the third and then sitting him for so long in the fourth was. I'd like to hear McHale's explanation for that but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

2. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

wud like to see lin + anderson comin off da bencho

3. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

I am going to put it out there just so there is no confusion - you are argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative and you don't care if anybody has a fair point if it is different from your point of view.

If the argument is why do we care about Lin's play, a millionaire, when there are homeless people everywhere, then I don't ever want to hear you b**** about anything basketball related until the problem of homelessness is resolved. By that logic, you should post less on this board and go do more good feeding the poor in Africa.

1 person likes this.
  4. basketballholic

Bingo, bingo, bingo.

We need to start games with Lin up top and Harden on the wing, spreading it out with the PnR. Even though it's Asik and his hands are stone, that's the way we should start games. Then you torque into hyperdrive by bringing Harden up top after Lin has got it going good.

The real mismatch is when Harden goes against other team's bench players. He completely destroys them. And we all know Lin is a from the top PnR point guard. You're asking that kind of player to start the game without touching the ball substantially and stand on the wing and wait for Harden to do something.

The other factor is Lin is not a bad defender. He's just like almost all other point guards. There are certain matchups where he gets outquicked defensively. The answer is not to bench him. The answer is to bring in Bev, move Lin to the 2, move Harden to 3, move Parsons to 4, and keep Asik at 5. The biggest rotation mistake McHale has made and KEEPS MAKING is he benches Lin for Beverley. That should not be. Lin is 6'3". He can guard shooting guards. And he's going to be quicker than 99% of shooting guards. I'd much rather see a Bev, Lin, Harden, Parsons perimeter than I would to see Bev, Harden, Parsons, Asik, and whoever else. That lineup forces Harden to guard the other team's SG. Harden is not good defensively as it is. He needs to be able to use his quickness against a SF matchup, especially since most teams send the SF to the corner and attack from the top and the wing.

In McHale's "small ball" lineup he has used Parsons and Delfino at the forward spots. That worked early. But it is not working nearly as well now....because the other teams have made the adjustment. They've gone to athletic matchups on Delfino and Harden and are negating our advantage there.

The answer should not be to bench Lin when he is one of your four best players. The answer is to change the matchups. Our weakest position is PF. That is the position that should be fluxed, not point guard. You go small and play one of Parsons/Delfino at 4 and Harden at 3 and you make room for both Lin and Beverley to be on the floor.

5. peter2012

peter2012 Member

One TO, benched.
    One missed shot, benched.
    TD, PB, next is AB.

Harden and Parsons need some rest, you can not play them 40 minutes every game, coach.

We did not defend well. -James Haren
    Our shots did not fall in. -Ames Haren

What about using some 'I or my'.

I am pissed.:(

6. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

It wasn't 1 TO, it was 3 TO in the first quarter

7. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

Because Rockets want to win games, not lost them by having Lin TO. Lin -13 Bev +4

8. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Harden's defense has HUGE gaps...Its almost like he doesnt even try..

9. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

it doesnt matter if its lin or bev in the game. if either one is camping in the corner, we are doomed. but when we dominate, notice BOTH harden and lin are up top. this is what was happening when we were winning. recently, lin was corner camping again and his poor games are of no surprise to me. more interestingly, his 3 20+ pt games did not come at the expense of harden at all. this is clearly the way we should play...

amen. i've thought this for a while now...

delfino if not spot shooting 3s and making them is absolutely useless. it boggles the mind why he thinks small ball is ok when delfino is ice cold...

10. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

another box score zombie
    watch the noob

11. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Why does everyone feel the need to project their own feelings on Lin? The refs decided to swallow their whistles on all our drivers and ball handlers, and our shots were not going on. We lost. Move on to the next game. And all the purposeful trolling needs to stop as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it should be banworthy when people rack up 10+ posts of troll sarcasm on a point that's been beaten like a dead horse.

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

People still don't know why tha last 5 mins sub Lin in.
    Its interesting that no one ask mchale.

13. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin got benched in the first half because he had two horrid turnovers in a row.

14. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

This is when Lin was the main Ball Handler.

When Lin was't got offer to be main handler, he was at corner.

15. howo13579

howo13579 Member

srsly? I don't even know what to say. Yes Lin's turnovers let Pacers score a few points. But you cannot possibly blame Lin for that -13. Rockets got abused under the rim with Dmo being a liability and Harden bricking and wasting every possession. Which PG we should've played can be arguable, but to flat out using +/- without even watching the game is ridiculous. Let me tell you this, if Pacers didn't sit their 2 front court and we still play Dmo, Beverely would've been -13 as well and the game would've been a blow out.

16. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

That's disrespect, what else can explain it?

17. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Be gutsy, better come from his mouth.

18. Roxs

Roxs Member

The handful of times when we had Lin/TD + Lin/Bev on the floor this year, I thought we did really well. In the beginning of the year, we used to do that more so that there was at least one of Lin/Harden on the floor at a given time. In the past couple of months, we broke away from that. Now Lin is hardly ever on the floor without Harden and for the life of me I cannot figure that out. There's no logical reason why Lin can only be on the floor when Harden is on the floor. I would love it if someone ask the coaches this question + get a straight answer from them.

Also, I don't post nearly as much as I read on CF, but I find just about all your posts to be very insightful.

19. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

No, Bev doesn't TO as much

20. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Lin 3 of 6
    Smith 6 of 12
    Beverly 3 of 6
    Robinson 4 of 8
    Asik 3 of 5
    These guys shot 50% or more

Harden 6 of 24
    Parsons 5 of 14
    Montiejunas 0 of 2
    Delfino 2 of 6

Anderson DNP?
    Garcia DNP?

So tell me this, who is responsible for loss, when 1st squad comes out on floor like they just woke from a nap? This is the reason we have coaches, and clearly they did not do their job last night.