1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin, James Harden after Rockets' 99-93 win over Wizards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I dont think people appreciate how good Harden is at only 23.

1 person likes this.
  2. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

I was replying to JeffB's comment. :p

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

When he plays with Harden, Lin seems a bit unsure what's the best option for the team. During his years at Harvard and with Linsanity, there was never any doubt what's the optimal play for the team is, which is Lin dominating the ball. But with Harden, Lin has to actually think about what he should do.

To me his instincts are fighting with his brain. When he's the only guy, he plays basically all on instinct. With Harden, he plays more with his brain, which is bad because basketball speed is too high to be too cerebral. This should get better with time.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

But it is weird though. When he played with Carmelo he played well. The media made a big deal about the whole Lin v Carmelo thing but in a line up with Lin Amare Carmelo & Tyson Lin average 18 & 8 per 36. He was still very aggressive even when his shots weren't falling. But during that time the ball was still in Lin's hands a lot. Melo was used as a decoy kicking out of double teams. And he also had Tyson & Amare who commanded a lot of defensive attention & set really effective screens in a very difficult to defend offense. Rockets offense is still very elementary because we are so young & McHale doesn't really run plays according to Bullard.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I was going to say that it's a combination of McHale's lack of offensive sets and Houston's personnel that makes Lin less effective than his New York days but then I realized that MDA had no offensive set either. Lin flourished under MDA's system because he had ball in hand all the time. Against Spurs on Monday, he too had the ball most of the time and had the best game as a Rocket.

If Lin is going to be an important piece of Houston's future, he has to learn to play better without the ball.

6. HorneR

HorneR Member

This got me thinking. Lin was clearly capable of co-existing with a ball-dominant superstar, and one without Harden's innate playmaking sense or ability to play off the ball.

If Harden isn't the problem, then -- and bear with me here through the obscenely obvious -- that leaves only the coaching staff to blame, right? ...And that obviously has something to do with it, but I see it as a bit deeper than that.

Now, clearly D'Antoni's system put Lin in the driver's seat, giving him every opportunity to play to his strengths, but Lin isn't playing the way he's been playing just because of a change in system. That's ridiculous.

Instead, I see it as a deep seated confidence issue. I don't think Lin sees himself as the consistent, everyday scoring option that his adoring fanbase projected onto him. Maybe this passive, pass first player IS who Lin really is. Maybe his past aggressiveness was more a product of D'Antoni not only putting him in a good position to succeed through his system, but also through constantly pushing and reminding him to be aggressive. Basically giving him the proverbial green light.

It's also true that, in general, Lin's just a streaky scorer. Hitting those first few shots really open up the rest of his game. And that momentum builds and builds until, finally, you have the Lin we saw throughout Linsanity. The Lin we saw against the Spurs the other night. Just compare the body language between "The Look" mode Lin, and the "Dump the ball at halfcourt to Harden and then sulk in the corner, Lin". It's night and day. One oozes confidence while the other's got more of a Micheal Cera vibe.

So yes, it's true that he's streaky, and yes it's true that D'Antoni's system did a much better job of getting Lin in rhythm and keeping him there, but I see the real issue as Lin reaaally needing to fully trust in his ability. Hopefully he'll get there with experience, but for now, he's just needs to be asserting himself early and often.

7. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I don't know, maybe we're over thinking it. His ankle was sore still. Maybe just wasn't feeling it.

I do think he over thinks things, but he is inexperienced. It'll come with time. I wish McHale had some set plays.

8. ERC

ERC Member

I get the feeling he's doing a little too much thinking too, almost trying to hard to make sure he has a well-rounded game that involves everyone, especially Harden. I really wish he'd just let the game come to him and play accordingly, without thinking about it.

9. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well, you know how it is when you are learning something...like say driving a car. The first time you drive, everything is so hard, and there seems so much to look out for. After a few years, you are sipping your coffee, singing along with songs and yet driving much better than before.

So give Lin some time to do his thinking. Eventually it'll become second nature to him and his thinking and instincts will combine into a single style.

10. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Sure, but not all people, I believed in his Jordanlike potential the first time i saw him play... i said to my buddies he's already better than kobe. and they laughed at me....:grin::grin:

11. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tried to really pay attention to Lin's movements tonight, and it does seem like he's too unsure of himself. He passed up A LOT of open looks for himself to throw it inside to PPat and Asik. I think if he would just launch a few more he could build a rhythm. I REALLY don't think Harden is the problem. I'm sure it will take more time. Remember that Harden arrived after training camp and pre-season. Things will only go up from here.

12. ERC

ERC Member

A perfectly logical analysis, but I respectfully disagree. If you search the web for articles or YouTube videos of his high school & college games, you'll see that Lin is DEFINITELY NOT a "passive pass-first" PG and confidence is NOT an issue. He was captain of both his high school and college teams, and even in his rookie year with GSW, he wasn't afraid to be assertive in the little garbage time that he played. Also worth noting that despite being seemingly mild-mannered and soft spoken, Lin is actually extremely competitive (almost every coach of his, including McHale, has mentioned this before).

Having said that, I am at a loss as to what's going on with Lin. Prior to this week I'd guess & say he was trying too hard to be a pass-first guy and get everyone involved (esp. Harden). However, he seemed a little down & frustrated in today's post-game interview, which was both rare and alarming for a guy who's always gracious in front of the media.

IMO it definitely has something to do with coaching. After coming off such a spectacular performance on Monday, he still played the fewest minutes amongst the starters, and was one of the firsts to be subbed out in 1Q. Not sure what was going on but I didn't like it.

13. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Hopefully his passiveness had a lot to do with his ankle. If your legs are hurting or sore it has a huge effect on your shot. Overall he didn't have a bad game especially on defense but after Monday's game a big letdown.

Ugly game but a win nevertheless. Barring injuries they should only get better.

14. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Too many ball handlers on this team right now. Parsons can handle the ball, Harden can handle the ball and Lin can handle it. It seems like a lack of communication and perhaps an inefficient combination of players that share the same strengths and weaknesses. There need be only one distributer or playmaker on the team, and it seems like from night to night that responsibility shifts from player to player, which is not good. We need more cohesiveness and continuity on the team, we only need one guy dribbling the air out of the basketball and it should be the PG because that is his job.

15. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

This...I have re-watched the game in HD rather than the streaming feed live. I don't know if I am correct but what I saw is Lin tried to run set plays, yes set plays, which evidently under the instruction of the coaches. He tried so hard to direct the teammates that he was not aware he was so wide open that he can shoot the ball :p

I hope I was blind when watching the game and tried something new to defend him. ;)

16. ERC

ERC Member

I agree, but the caveat is that the coaches will need to give him the key to the "car" more often and for longer period of time. Lin can't get situated into his role if McHale keeps cutting his PT. :(

17. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin played with Tyson and Fields in the Knicks starting5 last season.
    They are good at D, not scoring.

And his backup, Davis, was not in good shape.

All of Rockets starting 5 can score and Toney plays pretty well, so Lin can't take many shots.

18. kastuul

kastuul Member

Since playing with Harden, Lin needs to be:
    1. pass-first PG
    2. spot-up shooter
    3. better defender to help Harden at the defensive end.

19. VanityHalfBlack

Lin going retro 80s look??

[​IMG]

20. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

no one is talking about Harden because "no one" is worried about him...

only thing I would like to see from Harden... is for him to shoot a little more...