1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin after playing just 18 minutes vs. Mavericks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jedster

Jedster Member

Dude, in one post you
    1. Diminished his faith, which means everything to him. Yes, more than basketball.
    2. Assumed that he is playing for popularity.
    3. Justified racism.

That's pretty efficient. Offensive but quite efficient.

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

1. Great, and? He is being paid to play basketball.
    2. No, I said he doesn't want to make mistakes and wants to be liked so bad that it is affecting his play.
    3. No I didn't, I would still think Lin is sucking bad regardless of whether he is Chinese/White/Black. A lot of LOF on the other hand would stop giving a damn about him if he wasn't Asian, and I am the one justifying racism?

3. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

And one thing about saying Lin isn't worth his contract: Lin's sponsors pay for the entire Houston's starting lineup's salary this season except Harden's. Les is not going to complain.

The kid is coming off a knee surgery, coming to a new team with his 3rd and 4th coach since last season. So 19 games in, some of you and the coaches already write him off?

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I will say that Lin sucking is annoying me a lot more than TD sucking and it has nothing to do with their contracts. TD is sucking because he actually sucks at basketball, Lin doesn't.

5. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Here is your original quote:
    You were saying ethnic pride justifies racism. It's as if saying because Obama enjoys almost unconditional support from African Americans and African Americans defend Obama strongly, it justifies why racism against African Americans exists. :eek:

6. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

While I don't think it's been done on purpose or is a massive conspiracy, these coaches have slowly, surely and systematically destroyed Lin's confidence.

He came into this team after a very hostile farewell in New York, with his last coach having no faith in him despite him playing incredibly well at the time. Woodson later admits he did not see Lin as a starter.

Come the start of the preseason and Lin is coming back from a major surgery. Anyone who has ever watched any kind of sport knows that it takes a lot of playing time in order to get back 'match fitness' to get back to where they are before the injury and no amount of practise and work off the field will really give you that. Still he did okay in the preseason while trying to learn a new system and fit in with the new system.

The moment harden arrives, the team becomes all about him. Why? Because these coaches had no faith in Lin to begin with, they never really wanted him there but now they had the kind of star they did want.

In the first two games he plays really well but by the third game the team's 'new system' is being put in place and he's reduced to the role of the spot up three point shooter. Because this is 'not democratic ball' and 'harden is the best playmaker' and 'he needs to work on going left,' etc. He gets repeatedly chewed out on the sidelines over every single error, a treatment few other players, and certainly not Harden receive. (Ppat being the main exception).

He starts to lose confidence and his shot isn't falling. In retrospect it does seem like he was still not fully back from injury at this stage as evidenced by the increase of his explosiveness in recent games.

Still not a single positive word about him by the coach, only criticism even though the system basically ignored him as a player.

But he's trying and working hard. Then comes the portland game where he gets nearly a tripple doubled and gets benched in favour of TD for overtime.

And this pattern has continued. The coaches have shown little patience with Lin. They single him out for the worst treatment of the starters and bench him at the littlest excuse, all the while expecting him to play completely against all of his strenghts and providing him zero support to do so.

He is still a human being at the end of the day and it's obvious that they have completely destroyed his confidence right now. Can he come back from it? I think he can, but only if he can play for a coach who tells him that he has confidence in him and who takes this insane pressure off of him.

I've always felt that there was little difference between Mchale's and Sampson's attitude to him and last night must have been a massive knife in the back for Lin, when he saw how Mchale treated him after he spoke about him as almost being like a mentor/father figure a couple of weeks ago.

If you're a true rocket's fan, you should be disgusted by the way Lin has been handled. He's a guy who's shown incredible potential last season, has brought a lot of money to the franchise and who is young. He's been completely misused and unsupported and the rocket's are squandering what could have been a player who could be really really good.

Unless of course you're like these idiot coaches and were never interested in giving him a chance to begin with, which sadly, confusingly, a lot of people on these forums seem to be, including many of the 'vets.' Never mind all the idiotic trolls like Spiegal, Shayam and co.

1 person likes this.
  7. Allegro

Allegro Member

If Lin plays badly, he gets benched.
    If he plays well, he gets benched <i>even more!</i>
    The Rockets management is clearly out to ruin him.

8. badguy

badguy New Member

the problem, more so than his physical play, is his timid mentality. what happened to the jeremy lin last year, who decided to go for broke and play without inhibition? it's hard to believe this is the same person. what jeremy has to do is adopt a more alpha-male like persona, much like almost all his peers in the nba. in sports, and in life in general, that is just how things work. the alphas succeed and they do so by stepping all over the betas (jeremy) to get to the top. i don't want to see lin play himself out of the nba (again) just because he doesn't allow himself to be aggressive because he's too afraid to ruffle some feathers. just once i would like to see him snap at harden whenever jeremy feels like he is being ignored on the court.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Rockets give him the big contract so they can ruin him. How does this benefit the Rockets? I guess the Rockets are just evil.:rolleyes:

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Les Alexander gave him the big contract. The coaching staff, which may or may not believe that it will not be here next season, is out to ruin him.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You did not hear?

The coaches are racist. So they signed Lin just to ruin him and put him in his place again. They want to make him look bad so other teams will pass up on him.

12. Jedster

Jedster Member

I like your summary of the possible confusion in Lin's head.

Still I'd like to think that what he says holds true. He said that he plays for God at the end of the day and not for anyone else. So you can say that live or die, he will go down trying to play his best. And so while he'll feel disappointed, I think his mental toughness is better than we think.

But of course, he still has to play within the system and what the coaches tell him. And I agree with you that the system is broken.

13. Jedster

Jedster Member

Actually before I misquote Lin, I should say that I have heard him say that he plays for God. But I haven't heard him say he doesn't play for anyone else. So maybe he plays for his fans, his coach and his teammates too. So yeah, my bad.

14. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Well it does not seem like the coaching staff echo the sentiments of the people who decided to buy Lin with such a big contract. Certainly their actions and treatment of him this far would indicate otherwise.

15. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Never ascribe to malice what you can plausibly ascribe to stupidity and ignorance. Because more likely than not, it's usually the latter.

16. badguy

badguy New Member

jeremy has to learn that he needs to start being a little more selfish. i know that he has been praised by his fans for being a team-player. but how smart is that? yes, he has been a team player, and he's been rewarded with less playing time. he MUST be more aggressive and assertive, even if it means making his teammates less happy. he's sadly too scared to upset anyone on the team.

again, what's wrong with looking for one's best interests? one of my favorite baseball players is ichiro suzuki. throughout his career, accusations of selfish play has followed him around. even as a fan of his, i must admit there is some truth to this (like bunting with runners in scoring position or attempting to steal third base with 2 outs.)

yes, ichiro can be pretty selfish at times, being more concerned about his person accomplishments and not giving a rat's behind that his team loses 90 games a year. but where is ichiro headed? hall of fame. where is jeremy lin headed? d-league given how his play has been trending (started mediocre and getting worse). the lesson for jeremy is, it doesn't hurt to be a little selfish. being too unselfish is what's going to kill his career.

17. Allegro

Allegro Member

You're basically saying that if Lin could hit his 3's our offense would improve. So why was Lin benched after shooting 2-3 on his 3's?

18. Allegro

Allegro Member

Why should the coaches care how much Lin is being paid? Especially if they are doing what the GM tells them to do, namely glorify Harden at every other player's expense.

19. Allegro

Allegro Member

I should add that Morey's job is literally dependent on Harden's success. The GM has taken an $80 million gamble and he's doubling down on it.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Did you watch the game?

They were down by 19 and came back with Douglas on the court and going small and went into the half with a lead.

McHale simply went with what got him back into the game. I think he stuck with it too long...but it should not be this big mystery as to why Lin did not come back into the game.