1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin after 107-105 Rockets win over Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 4, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with what you are saying & I have been conflicted on it as well. Coaches like Mike Dantoni & Dwayne Casey for example when there starters are having a poor shooting night will keep you in the starting line up still because you are there guy & they want you to learn.

Other coaches aren't like that. But last night he was in foul trouble (because of overly aggressive defense) & wasn't able to get into a rhythm & Tony did so its understandable. Over the last few games I have liked what I have seen from him he is a lot more aggressive attacking the hoop & such. As long as he keeps on doing that I am cool.

2. webattorney

webattorney Member

One question I have for you guys is this. Would you rather see Lin take 20 shots per game and try to get 20 points per game, or would you rather see Lin make good passes and get 12 to 14 points per game? I mean, Harden is going to take at least 20 shots per game, so if Lin takes many shots, that might not be enough shots to get all players involved.

3. conquistador#11

there is such thing as foul trouble. fouls benched lin. when he was benched, douglas caught the net and the rim on fire. you had to take advantage of douglas' shooting.

4. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I really don't want Lin bricking shot after shot. 2-8 is a bad stat line, but it's better than 1-11 or 2-19 (JR Smith; Ray Felton). I mean, just stop if you're cold.

5. DreamRoxCoogFan

I think you can restructure, but it would be idiotic for him to do that.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

NBA is not the NFL every dollar is guaranteed. You can't restructure contracts.

7. Grigori

Grigori Member

Lin defends to draw his man into long jumpers. Watch him play defense and pay attention to how he actually gives his man less space outside the 3-point arc and how he plays the drive instead of the J when they are inside the 3-point arc. His defense on Lillard and Robinson was fine. Most of the long jumpers weren't even that open, but when they kept on making long jumpers there were only a few things you could do, one of which was to switch on everything.

The decision from Sampson to go with Douglas for the "better match up" was probably from the misguided belief that Douglas was bigger and better at guarding bigger players on the switch, so he went with Douglas and switched on everything. The reality is that Lin is actually better at guarding bigger players (see the many examples of Lin playing great defense on forwards) and can do the switching on everything strategy even better and there was no need to sub in Douglas for that. It's costed the Rockets a couple of games, but Sampson has gradually learned his lesson.

1 person likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to be quite honest, saying Lin is taking his benching role too nicely is just pretty stupid. LOL do you want Lin to whine about touches and minutes, like how Gortat is doing in PHX? How well did that work out for them? :rolleyes:

The only time you'd want a player to have ego issues and "get his" is if he's too passive on the court, Lin is clearly not that. He's trying to always be aggressive, and make plays for everyone else. The problem right now is his shooting is bad, and his health isn't 100%. Both of those will only improve with time and practice, not him forcing shots or destroying the offensive rhythm.

I think it's great that he's being objective when it comes to judging his performance, it's pretty clear that TD caught fire and outplayed him tonight. That's not always gonna happen, but when it does it's great that he's happy that TD is having a good game, instead of raising a big stink about it. It also means that he realizes he needs to work on his game more, and I think we can only expect him to get better moving forward.

BTW I'm really enjoying this year's group. Sans the exiled White, everyone seems to be a good apple.

9. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Yes, I can't imagine anyone on this team whining to the media like that. My goodness, that would be gross.

This is what Lin wanted. He's said himself (reading btw the lines) that NY had too many egos.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

Those 12 to 14 points better be at least average TS% among point guards, and he better average 8+ assists to compensate for not scoring much.

11. beta ticket

beta ticket Member

Wow, well said. Exactly what I felt about Lin, TD,and this team. Jeremy said he would do everything he can to help the team win so I don't think there was an issue if he had to sit. But that doesn't mean he set the bar low, he has been working hard on his shooting way before the season started. He will definitely get better.

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

or take it to the hoop and draw some fouls

13. M4-Nightvision

The rockets need to play better defense, your pg shouldn't be the last line of defense by taking charges. those 2 blocking calls got lin in foul trouble.

If your pg keep on taking charges like that, he won't last through the season.

14. joepu

joepu Member

His shooting has certainly been bad but there have been no reports saying that right now he isn't 100%. As a Lin fan, I think bringing up his health as an issue when there is nothing official is constructive. It makes it sound like we are making excuses for him and only serves to fuel the Lin hate.

15. joepu

joepu Member

sorry fixed.

16. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

It seems to me that the game plan "changed" early last night. They were practicing a lot of defense on Monday. The key to the game was defense, good defense that lead to offense. So what happened when the game started? Lin was the ONLY one playing defense. 2pat didn't even try rebounding until late in the game.

It was a fluke that Lin got into foul trouble by trying to play defense, then Toney came in, he and Smith got hot in offense, and saved the day.

Are we going to be this lucky over and over again? The coaches need to make sure the team play more defense.

17. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I agree. Lin seems totally fine and he has said that repeatedly himself.

18. ashiin

ashiin Member

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Let's not forget that Lin is a big PG...he's 6'3" and 200 lbs. He was seen as more of a combo guard out of Harvard. I am not surprised he has more trouble guarding smaller and quicker guards.

20. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Actually, you can restructure contracts, just not Lin's contract.

Lin's contract is for 3 years. Any contract that is 3 years or less may not be restructured. A contract that is 4 years or more may be restructured.

When restructuring a contract, you can only revise it upwards in the years covered by the original contract. So you're allowed to restructure contracts to pay players more money, but not allowed to restructure to pay them less than what they originally signed for per annum.

If Lin had signed the original offer 4 year offer, then you would now be allowed to restructure it to pay him more each year, since the last two years were not maxed originally. But you wouldn't be allowed to restructure to pay him less in any of the four years. You would be allowed to pay him less in a 5th or later year if you wanted to add on more years to the original 4yr contract, but the annual salary in those original 4 years would still be sacrosanct and immune from revising downwards.

Since Lin's contract is for 3 years, it's not eligible for restructuring. And even if you were allowed to restructure it, since it's already maxed for what he can make under the Gilbert Arenas restrictions, there's nowhere to revise it upwards anyway. You're not allowed to revise it downwards in those 3 years.

Contracts can only be restructured to pay players more money each year, not less.

1 person likes this.