1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] James Harden works out with Hakeem Olajuwon (Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 28, 2013.

1. hbomb

hbomb Member

I think D-Mo and T-Jones will practice a little bit with Hakeem.

What get's me most excited is imagine what practice is like OFF-camera, without the scrutiny of cameras pointing your way, WE GONNA DOMINATE THIS YEAR.

2. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

when I was watching the video I was wondering who is Hakeem amongst those fellows...i expected some old rusty man...seriously

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

why is Dream wasting time on Hardens post moves

Harden is smallest for a SG and doesnt really have a turn around to rely on like Kobe

wish Dream would work w Harden on defense. he has alot of areas to improve on defense and i think Dream can improve that a ton

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If we can only get Bill Russell to join in...... :)

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Harden is an inch shorter than Kobe, with an almost identical wingspan and a much larger upper body, he's better suited to the post than Kobe is, but ultimately the post for a guard is all about mismatches.

6. recboil

recboil Member

we're watching 1-5 minute clips. I don't know why/how people are jumping to conclusions that certain player aren't training a certain way (ie. working on post moves vs. defense) or with certain people (ie. Hakeem).

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

BBIQ is all about, and Harden at best has half of Kobe's :(

8. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I disagree, when kobe was 24, he does not have half of harden's BBIQ at 24... he is not 34 of course he should have more BBIQ lol

9. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

fixed

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

How would one go about making that conclusion?

I could just as well as say Harden treats his teammates 5 times better than Kobe does, in turn boosting locker room morale and improving team chemistry on the court leading to more wins.

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

Kobe's footwork and dexterity in the post is something else, second only to MJ at the SG position. Kobe , to the contrary of Harden, has got all the fundamentals nailed down, he just happens to be an egotist who has fallen in love with his jump shot. Playing in the post (in the Hakeem/McHale sense, not in the Shaq's arse-barging sense) very much requires a certain amount of natural agility, coordination and fleet of foot which are attributes more commonly found among short football players than 6 ft+ bball players (Hakeem and Kobe happen to be quite proficient at football/dribbling) - some players have it while others don't. Size and power are not more important as Dwight has shown.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Kobe and MJ weren't posting up at 24. They rode their elite athleticism till it started to fade and then began utilizing the post.

Honestly can't believe there are people actually against a player working on diversifying his offensive game.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

WOW!!! Man you could have kept that comment to your self...

14. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Shaq disagrees.

15. andersongo

andersongo Member

I'm not. In fact I am elated that Harden is choosing to go the hard way and learning to play in the post, few players at his position do as much nowadays. My post was more related to the adequacy of Kobe's physique compared to that of Harden when it comes to playing in the post. Kobe's post play is based on elite footwork, elite footwork that Harden may or may not possess but he will never know if he does not try first.

16. andersongo

andersongo Member

Comparing the gracefulness of Hakeem and McHale twisting and outmanoeuvring their opponents to a 300Lb monster bumping players out of the way like rag dolls is a joke.

17. andersongo

andersongo Member

Oh, I get what you are saying now. But I expect Harden to base his style of play more on Hakeem than on Shaq. Shaq, like Wilt, is an anomaly that should not serve as a reference for other players less endowed strengh and size wise.

18. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Yeah I was just referencing your last sentence, probably should have bolded it or something. I agree, obviously they're anomalies but I don't think its a stretch Harden can go to the post and take advantage of the fact that on a night to night basis he is usually much stronger than the player he is matched up with.

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

dream should have coached Bosh when Bosh as in Toronto

Bosh is probably the best big man in Toronto since Dream was

Bosh is about the same size as Dream and has the athleticism to try his moves

20. andersongo

andersongo Member

Requirements for going in the post:

(1) Size advantage
    (2) Strength
    (3) Agility
    (4) Balls.