1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] James Harden, Jeremy Lin post-game interviews. JH: "We're not guarding anyone."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2013.

1. The Blake Show

As for Pace's relation to defense it depends on how your pace is implemented. Teams like the Rockets, Warriors of recent years, 00's Suns etc will never be elite defensively due to the fact that it's not defense dictating that pace, but the offensive system designed for that "7 second offense" type of flow. Teams like the Clippers and Spurs push the tempo DEFENSIVELY. They rack ups steals, blocks and forced turnovers to increase the tempo. If they don't get a fastbreak from defense they play a halfcourt offense for the most part.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Coach just needs to trust his bench more when the starters are looking gassed, or playing poorly because of lack of stamina. 9 player rotation isn't enough for high-tempo with the personnel we have.

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Exacty! Harden is playing T-mac like defense and I don't want to go through that again for a good 3-4 years...

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the interviews are great. Heard parsons was pissed off also

#24 pgabriel, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. rocketsmetalspd

The Whole team needs to play D. This a a team game and playing D is what this team lacks. Screw the Offense that is not the problem, the team can score.

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

We looked like lakers

7. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Its an effort issue...we have NONE on the defensive end.

8. Arthurprescott2

Come on Roxxy - I think he put in more effort last night than he usually does, no? Gotta give him that at least. I don't know how/why he became a ball-watcher this year cause he wasn't that at all last year. He was never a defensive stalwart but he was decent at least.

These back-to-backs and 4in5 nights are not giving this team enough time to maintain/reinforce things this young team absolutely needs to reminded of every few games (defense, ball movement, etc.).

And in Harden's defense, a lot of Green's points came when Harden came off him to try to double Blake (not very effectively since Blake has become a much better passer out of the double - he passes the rock back out immediately as the double approaches - something Harden should learn).

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Arthur he walked back on D on that one possession? And he was spotted chatting it up with the Clippers in there huddle in the 4th quarter when we were getting our ass smacked? That is egregious. How can someone walk back on D & people say he gave more effort than he usually does? Defies logic.

Agreed though that our team defense needs to be much better but it takes effort by individual defenders to make team D better & right now Harden gives zero effort.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Two of my favorite posters Roxxy and Arthur! I like Harden alot and can't help thinking that he is conserving himself on defense at times. Sometimes I wish Lin would conserve himself as he almost plays too hard. When you go all-out and run your tank to empty, the risk of injuries increases. Might not be the best way to win every game, but I'm looking at the long run. Even though the Rockets are on a losing streak, I'm thankful there hasn't been any injuries yet given the grueling schedule.

11. philchips

philchips Member

Harden hasn't been even trying. It looks like he's not paying attention, its like he's daydreaming. Their playing like machines, no emotion, no joy. Just showing up for their job and people will just do enough not to get fired with those attitudes.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Parsons plays hard on both ends of the court.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe Harden and Lin should let the big men do the rebounding and they should focus on getting back on defense.

14. liunatic

liunatic Member

mmm...Harden isn't the most expressive when he plays. That's just the way he is. Doesn't mean he isn't trying...Just because someone doesn't outwardly convey emotion doesn't mean that they aren't playing with emotion.

If anything, its not even individual defense. It's our team defense and rotations that's killing us. Regardless of Harden being a bad defensive player, our rotations have to be crisp to deny ball penetration and force kick outs and skip passes, etc - which are things we simply aren't doing right now. It's not like Tony Parker and Ginobli are good defenders, but when you trust your rotations, you end up defending the ball and player with 5 people, not just one.

15. Arthurprescott2

You're highlighting specific plays and I'll concede the ones you point out. But overall, I think Harden showed more effort in this one and the last one than he usually does - that might just be me - his effort is usually so abysmal that any uptick in effort pops out at me.

16. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Second that.

17. Arthurprescott2

Thanks ;)! Roxxy and I tend to agree on everything so I relish those sparse moments when I can quibble a bit :grin:.

Thoughts on expanding on the rotation a bit? Maybe more DMo and Beverley? (sidenote: DMo w/ arm sleeve looked pretty great yesterday - I'm going to say he's the only player we have who looks good in the white home unis).

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

Fair enough. I just found those two plays so distasteful that it negatively coloured everything else he did. Harden did show more effort on D sans those two plays. An interesting line up I would like is Lin Harden Delfino Parsons Omer. Durvassa is a big advocate of this line up. I also think Smith should get more burn. Smith moves so well without the ball. His D is terrible but you know what the Rockets are already a terrible defensive team. Lin Harden Parsons Smith Asik would be interesting. Provides spacing, offensive rebounding, & multiple PNR options.