1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Identifying Houston’s Priorities in an Omer Asik Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2013.

1. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

i get that Hawes is a really good player, but isn't it the Asik situation again? I doubt he can play alongside Dwight even for a few minutes, or can he? Unless we also get a pick, I don't get the point of getting a really good player to only play 15-18 minutes when we have much bigger holes to fill.

2. basketballholic

Hawes is a perfect fit alongside Dwight against big lineups like a healthy memphis or Sacramento with Cousins/Thompson, etc. What Hawes cannot do effectively is defend the rim when Dwight is on the bench. Still would need that third very good defensive big (preferrably a long 4 in this case) to shore up the D when Dwight sits.

3. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Looking at the Timberwolves roster, their biggest place for improvement is at small forward. So to get Love it would make sense that Minnesota would want back a SF, PF, and maybe a back up big. If the Rockets could pull off a trade for MKG with the Bobcats and get a PF through another trade while only giving up Lin, Asik, and maybe D-mo or Greg Smith, a trade with Minnesota might become possible.
    This would mean MKG, PF from previous trade(Millsap, Young, Green... etc), and Jones or another asset, plus a pick or two to Minnesota and Love to Houston. Instead of MKG the Rockets could possibly send Parsons to Minnesota, but I hesitate to send away Parsons, even for a superstar.

4. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Agree. My guess is that The 3 way deal would, at the core, have Hawes headed to Houston, with Philly receiving picks/young players from the third team who would absorb Asik. Such third team would need to have picks/young assets, and would not be in tank mode. Boston/Charlotte come to mind.

5. basketballholic

Honestly,

what teams are going to trade for Hawes and give Philly more than one young player on a rookie contract? What teams are going to offer up a first round pick for Hawes?

I think that's a bunch of bull. Young player and second rounder and filler. That's what Hawes trade value is.

Name me the team that is going to offer up a 2014 first rounder or more than what I am suggesting above.

I think Hawes can be had for DMo and a second rounder.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is where a lotto pick would put you over the top like the Harden trade. Two young players with good upside in Jones and MKG plus Milsap plus a lotto pick? That's worth Kevin Love.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hawes can shoot mid-range and 3 point shots. That instantly makes him a better candidate than Asik for the TT project.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

if we dont get a third star i just want a young player and draft picks.

9. basketballholic

Mmmmmm, no it's not but it's probably the best Minny can expect to get for Love along with a little cap relief.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I don't know what is going to happen, but In Morey We Trust.

11. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Important footnote to keep in mind if Boston does jump into the eventual Omer Asik deal so many folks expect to involve at least 3 teams ...</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/412812929893818368">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Celtics are a little less than $135,000 under the luxury-tax line ... so that will undoubtedly factor into anything they decide to do</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/412813147641094144">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

12. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My sense <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP">@SeanGrandePBP</a> IS that Green winds up in the Asik deal only if he's routed to a third team not named Houston. My SENSE as we speak</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/412819608488267776">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

13. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

A team that

A. is really good, thus their first round pick is probably 20+ and not very valuable.

B. is over the cap, thus would not be able to grab a better than minimum / exception player in FA.

Of course, the teams that do fit that bill , most of them don't have a first rounder left to trade anyway. or need Hawes.

14. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

I'll still stay on the record and say that the most likely outcome if Amir Johnson. it would simply be the most Morey move possible.

15. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

That's a pretty bold stance. I know Masai is having a fire sale right now, but it seems like AJ and JV (hence no need for Asik?) might be kept as foundational building pieces. I do like AJ, think he's vastly underrated (or underappreciated) and wouldn't mind if he, unexpectedly, is the piece Morey nets in the Asik trade. Small chances, tho.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is if MKG does develop to 12 and 7 kind of player and stay there

The only guys who would be worth that are Lebron and Durant. Period.

Kevin Love - MGK and Millsap plus a pick(not necessarily lotto pick)
    and cash

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't see the Rocket trading Lin either, unless they get a star out of the deal. In general for the Rockets to win they need two of either Harden, Lin, and Parsons playing well ( I didn't say Howard because he has been pretty consistent this year). Anyway I don't see Lin be traded just for the cap space, he is to valuable to the team right now.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

After reading Clutch's article, I feel Boston will offer us Kris Humphries and a future low 1st round pick for Asik. The other teams will not give us anything better than that IMO.
    They know Houston is desperate to move him right now, and our leverage may only increase by the February deadline(if Asik plays well for us).
    I expect DM to retain Omer until February for these reasons.

19. wendzall

wendzall Member

btw great article, Clutch.

Near the end it's suggested that if the Rockets get back an '14 expiring contract (e.g. Hawes) for Asik, the Rockets might consider also moving Lin to get significant cap space for this summer's free agency. Considering the prohibitive 18 mil left on Lin who are some hypothetical trade possibilities?

People are not high on Gasol anymore but considering his contract expiration this summer would Morey consider 1-for-1 trade with LA? Also would LA be willing to take on the extra year commitment on Lin until '15?

Some other expiring contracts of comparable $ value and possible fit:
    Ben Gordon
    Paul Pierce
    Kyle Lowery
    Luo Deng
    Shawn Marion

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I would be rondo or bust. Really, rondo and a guy like ariza could be the guys to get the rockets over the top. Hawes,mkg,milsap are not or dont have the deep playoff pedigree the rockets need. Rondo and to a lesser extent ariza have played and performed well under the lights of deep playoff runs. Getting ariza allows harden and parsons to stay fresher. He can fill at both sg and sf. Rondo is the dude who will get the team quality shots late game and when teams go on runs. Both guys are top shelf defender also