1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] How we got here: A look back at the end of the Yao era to now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Outstanding writeup. Contract management success fits in with morey's expertise in finance. What I think is amazing is that our team chemistry and player development have been pretty good while this has been going on. It's not easy to maintain morale when you have so much turnover. Hopefully he can do well or better in those aspects now that our contracts should be more stable.

3. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I forgot which article put this together but it was all about how Morey masterfully rebuilt the team... Basically turned Rafer Alston into James Harden and then Harden got us Dwight... (side note, I remember a lot of you killing Morey for trading our starting pg for Memphis' backup...)

#43 hizzobbes, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Preparation is exactly what I said. But luck, by definition, is not made by yourself. If you think Harden and Howard were something totally controlled by Morey, that's blind worship. And I know you didn't mean that.

Any successful person understands that the success he enjoys comes from a lot of things not controlled by himself. There are a lot of people who are both smart and hard working but never get the luck to be successful.

But you do need to be prepared when luck knocks on your door.

5. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Thanks for posting. I agree with most in saying that that was an insane flurry of moves that resulted in our pending roster. Morey opted to stay flexible and was able to capitalize when the opportunities arose.

6. Asian Sensation

The best thing about Morey is that even when he does make a "mistake" ...more like a gamble that didn't pay off in my book... Anyways, He is able to fix the issue almost instantaneously. Trevor Ariza.

7. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

That's so crazy Novak got us Parsons! :eek:

8. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

wow great article...im new here so it really brought home how good morey is...it is astonishing to think the rockets have this roster AND all these prospects and draft picks, AND flipped their whole roster and still made the playoffs the next year...just astonishing

We also hold the rights to international prospects Sergio Llull (bought the pick), Kostas Papanikolaou and Marko Todorovic (both acquired in the Thomas Robinson trade) and are owed the Knicks’ 2nd round picks in 2014 and 2015, two future 2nd rounders from Portland (plus the Clippers’ second rounder in 2015 if it’s between 51-55), while owing our 2nd rounder in 2014 to Philadelphia. We currently own all of our future first round picks.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Well, those aren't going to be worth much, if everything goes the way we hope.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

NIKEstrad >>>>>>>>>>> all ESPN "reporters" who invent Asik trade requests and make up lies

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Great post OP!

The thing that makes Morey the best GM in the league is not his advanced stats - it's his ability to predict stats, see through stats, and see past stats. At first I thought we were getting a guy who is purely a numbers guy and had to rely on veteran GM's to give him the know-how of how to see things the numbers don't show.

He wised up quickly after Trevor Ariza. Since then you can't tell me that he hasn't been both a great statistician and also has a great nose for how to manage a team. It's not just the roster moves, it's his relationship with players, his relationship with the coaching staff, his modesty and his continuous hard work. When all reports said Howard was a Rocket, Morey was still sweating it and said that while everyone is excited, his job is to steer the Rockets ship at all times so he could not get excited yet.

A year ago I thought Presti was slightly better than him. That has changed a lot - and I would've felt that way even if Howard chose another team. The guy has been incredible. He deserves his success, has had little luck and I'm glad Les signed him to a lucrative deal.

He could hand pick his next job now. But we need him to be our guy. We need to keep him locked up and make sure he's around to follow through on a championship.

Here's to Morey.

12. Gday

Gday Member

What makes Morey successful is heading up an extensive scouting team both internationally & nationally, negotiating with other GM's & negotiating value contracts with FA players & contracted players.

I have huge respect for Morey's achievements that has made him not just a success but a brilliant GM.

13. Gday

Gday Member

Forgot to mention his use of statistical analysis in identifying players & helping the coaching staff & hiring a coach that not just gets wins but improves players therefore increasing their value.

14. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Great write-up...thanks for taking the time and effort.

Now is the time for the Rockets to convert these cerebral shuffling into something real, something tangible.

15. PeppermintCandy

Great writeup. It really shows how Morey is a master at the art of "calculated risks."

One thing I do wonder, though, is how much the Rockets (or, more precisely, Les) had to eat in salaries for all the players they waived in the past two years while making all those deals. Guys like Earl Boykins, Courtney Fortson, Josh Harrelson, Jerome Jordan, Shaun Livingston, and so on.

Individually these players' contracts are not much, but after a while it must add up.

1 person likes this.
  16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

This thread, as an example, is why I keep coming back. Thanks NIKE, for a quality post.

To ditto Mathloom: Here's to Morey.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting thought, and probably one of the few things NIKEstrad could have addressed in his post, and didn't. Maybe he thought he'd written a magnum opus quite long enough! ;-)-

Just one obvious example woud be one of my favorite former players, Luis Scola. We're still paying his salary, certainly a heck of a lot of it. And how were we able to do that? Aside from the new rule that allowed it, we were, and are, lucky enough to have an owner willing to open his pocketbook to improve the team and create a contender. My opinion of Les Alexander has risen tremendously over the last few years. Yes, I was one of those who once referred to him as "Less," but no longer. We're very, very lucky to have him in the catbird seat. And who convinced him? Daryl Morey, of course.

These are great days to be a Rockets fan, and NIKEstrad explained how we got there brilliantly.

18. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

"We’re not done yet."

Next season is going to be so exciting.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's easy to see how Les would have gotten to that place with Carroll Dawson at the helm, though. I loved CD, but he had a lot of Ariza type deals and while Morey has obviously learned and improved from that mistake, CD was pretty much the same throughout his tenure. Morey has proven himself to Les and I imagine has a lot more free reign to spend money and take risks than CD ever did.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice read!

Let's hope he can slow down a little and let the chemistry develop now.

DD