1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] How Golden State gets so wide open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And he only actually fouled out 4 times all season.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think we beat the Warriors without the screens being called. Our team would lose a playoff series to the Nets..... BUT -

Notice there aren't any Warriors fans who are using the logic "we don't set moving screens" to deny that they set moving screens?

Instead it's all strawman arguments, deflections, reversals, etc etc. Maybe they actually can't see it.

I live in Salt Lake City among Jazz fans, and they see it.

3. dream_team

dream_team Member

Majority of my friends are Warriors fans. Majority of them acknowledge Warriors get away with illegal screens (the rest are in denial). They take the position, "if the refs won't call it, keep doing it." I have to agree with that stance. It's the NBA's job to clean it up.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Look, if we cleanly get swept I can deal with it. It's why I RESPECT San Antonio. The Spurs commit their fair share of questionable moves, but they aren't as blatant as the warriors in breaking the rules. We get beat, we get beat. My issue is, how the hell is it a foul on Dwight but not Bogut? Call it both ways, and I'll live with it.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've never been a fan of a front running team that was propped up by the league office before but If I ever was, I think that knowing stuff like that was going on would take something away from it for me. I'd probably still be happy for my team, but it would feel kind of cheap and hollow.

I mean it's one thing if the Warriors were getting away with something that anyone could get away with, but refs call it as a foul for every other team. If they were just doing something the refs never called against anyone, that would be different.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You poor poor man.

7. rocketsmetalspd

How about creating the same wide open shots for the team and try duplicating what the Warriors get away with. I don't know if JB can come up with that type of offense though

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets did that then everyone would foul out. They call moving screens when any team other than the Warriors do them.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I agree with this. God knows ESPN is so in love with Curry they can't pull away for 30 seconds to actually objectively report this issue. ESPN is the Fox News of sports, but there is no MSNBC/CNN counterpart to reflect their spin. ESPN/Disney also runs into the issue of trying to bid for rights for games. Bill Simmons talked about this with the NFL, how can you objectively report things if you also want to have working relationships with the people you report on? You can't.

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Break his leg.

11. Remlap

Remlap Member

A sure fire way to counteract these moving screens is to have
    our Rockets defender immediately flop to the floor right behind Bogut while he is backing into them.
    'Accidentally' crumple right behind his legs
    When he trips backwards over the defender onto the hardwood a few times while 'not moving' he's
    going to either get wise or get injured. He's not going to enjoy the ride even ONE time
    I mean, our guy wouldn't have fallen to the floor had he not been pushed, would he?
    CHECK THE REPLAY!

How can the refs call a foul on us for him tripping over our defender when he's supposed to be stationary?

That would bring drastic attention to that little move every time.
    2 players piling on the floor will draw attention for sure. Especially more than once.
    A great way to send a message and call them on it at the same time.
    Refs would be forced to take action

(May want to have Gaudelock initiate this in case refs decide to get cute and eject players.
    Of course only red will be ejected. Gold off limits)

12. bmd

bmd Member

You would think that would work... but do you remember last year in the WCF when Draymond Green knocked over Trevor Ariza and then wouldn't let him get up as Ariza is flailing around trying to get to his feet? Refs didn't call a thing. It was right in front of the Rockets' bench and they were going nuts.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

that's exactly how it should be played, a reverse mode of DM's mantra : 3s are better than 2s ,run fast and slam into them, force the referee to make the call and it get better if they head to reply centre. Andrew Bogus FT% is just .48 which is nearly equal to Curry's 3s%

i watched over 10 close games this season where GS should have lost if the right calls made , no indication the NBA would change that any time soon

14. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

LOL, IF THEY can do illegal screen. I see no reason we can't do the same thing NOW.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because they aren't in Warriors jerseys, they can't get away with illegal screens. The ONLY team in the NBA that can set illegal screens and have them consistently not called is the Warriors. For everyone else, it's just an automatic offensive foul that hurts your team, for them it's the basis of their entire offense.

16. hakeemthagreat

The FRUSTRATING part is they come down and call back to back moving screen on us

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Rockets need to do something about it, I really hope a serious fight breaks out. I have zero respect for the Warriors and their season this year. It's tainted, last year I'm not sure if it was this bad but this year the NBA has driven the agenda and helped them tremendously to get that 73-9 and everything else. Does not take away they are a good team and that Curry is an amazing player. But as far as the rest goes, **** them and **** the NBA. Rockets, stand up and go nuts. I don't care when, hopefully tonight but not wait until the sweep is in please.

18. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="ru"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saw clips regarding GSW screens; officials too casual w/them. Opponent/others complaining will bring attention to it <a href="https://t.co/PXkkMGHsl7">https://t.co/PXkkMGHsl7</a></p>&mdash; Ronnie Nunn (@NunnBetterRefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/NunnBetterRefs/status/722046561254039552">18 апреля 2016 г.</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That was just wrong. I bet Rocket players said "Fine, they do it then we will too." and the refs promptly put them back in place.

This is my problem with officiating and "Whining" about it. People say it doesn't affect the game but it does. Absolutely it does.

If you are Curry and you have offensive linemen blocking for you (Because that's what it looks like. Hell, some of these would be called HOLDING in the NFL it's so bad) and all you need is a little space to score well then no wonder you can drop 24 in a half on open shots. People really believe that Reggie Miller or Ray Allen would not have found the same success? Really?

This goes the other way. "Harden should just get over it! Play through it!" Really now? So imagine this. Imagine your game is reliant on slashing but every time you slash guys foul you and it isn't called. What would you then do? Well now you become a jumpshooter.

When you are an elite slasher I guarantee you the defense before the game says "We need to force him to take that outside shot. We live with that." and so by effect the refs by 'Swallowing' the whistle are playing better defense on Harden then any player can. You can say "Just ignore it and continue to drive." but how is that effective if you are getting fouled?

I'll just sit back and watch. Clippers series is going to be entertaining at least. Chris Paul and Blake and Rivers are known to be major "Whiners" and by the time GSW reaches the Spurs, if the refs continue to ignore it then shame on the NBA.

20. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I want to see Harden and co get dirty. Embrace the villain role. It's worth getting teched up or even tossed to make the point, we aren't winning anyway.