1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] How Golden State gets so wide open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 17, 2016.

1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

lol, its hard to tell. There's a ton of people in this thread that think there's some sort of league-wide conspiracy to anoint the Warriors the champs.... Every team must be in on it, including the Rockets. More fans watch GS, better TV ratings, bigger piece of the TV pie for everyone, right?

I find it hard to believe you're even still watching basketball if the game is THIS rigged.... Why even watch?

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...the Warriors are a fine-tuned machine. They probably do get some favorable calls more than the rest of the bottom-dwellers. But, there has always been the debate that savvy veterans tend to get favorable calls over lesser experienced players like they have earned the right. It's a useless debate basically.

3. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

The Warriors get called for it plenty. Just not as much as fans of other teams think they should. Of course, if we went by the consensus here, the Rockets would never get called for fouls and the opposing team would be whistled on every possession.

This forum isn't the most objective source, is what I'm getting at.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The game has been rigged in the past, why would it surprise you? All it really takes is for refs to call things one sided and ignore fouls and good teams look like great teams. We know for a fact this used to happen all the time and honestly there's no other explanation for the way the Warriors are officiated.

Green and Bogut should foul out of literally every game and yet Green only fouled out of 2 games this season and Bogut only fouled out of 4. The Warriors set at least one blatant moving screen on nearly every possession and almost never get called for it no matter who is officiating the game, that doesn't just happen.

5. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

It's a lot like the strike zone in baseball. It has some guidelines, but it's up to each umpire's judgment and pitchers with a reputation for good control tend to get the benefit of the doubt.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but when every single umpire is calling strikes on pitches that go behind the batter or bounce before they get to the plate for only one team, and the same umpires call a tight strike zone for the opposing team's pitcher you have to wonder why.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

If you think it's rigged, you probably shouldn't bother watching. It'll just raise your blood pressure and ain't no one got time for that.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

ESPN needs to question this one one of their talking heads shows. But then again it's ESPN.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who isn't a fool knows that the NBA has rigged games in the past using officials. Knowing that the NBA is horribly corrupt doesn't make people stop watching, if anything it makes it less annoying when you see it happen again and again. If you thought it was real, you'd be raising your blood pressure wondering how officials could be so inept, they aren't inept, they are corrupt.

When you are watching a game where it's clear the fix is in, you should just approach it like watching something like the WWE. It's entertainment even if the outcome is pre-determined.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair, Harden's game results in FT shooting while GSW's game results in 3pt shots. Which would you prefer to watch if you are a casual fan?

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am officially done with the NBA until they figure out a way to officiate the game.

The NBA will not get one dollar from me until the entire officiating system is revamped. The game cannot be officiated in real time, period. 60-70% accuracy is not acceptable.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I, for one, shudder to think what would happen if mac2yao wasn't here to critique the forum and offer advice to the plebes. THANK YOU FOR BEING THE VOICE OF REASON

1 person likes this.
  13. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Happy to be of service.

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Why on earth did Corey Brewer start for the Rockets in Game 1?
    By Josh Reese on Apr 17, 2016, 9:00a 42 4

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
    Still trying to understand why Brewer started, plus other takeaways from the Rockets loss to the Warriors.

Everyone expected the Rockets to fall but few of us expected to see a 104-78 beating by the Warriors. The eight seed from Houston got a free schooling from the NBA champions and with the loss, they are three games away from elimination.

The Rockets were straight up embarrassed on national TV, they were outclassed and the Warriors had the upper hand from the tipoff to final whistle. The Warriors led by double digits for most of the game and the Rockets starters barely played in the fourth quarter.

Let this sink in, Stephen Curry played 19 minutes and the Warriors still managed to win by nearly 30 points. Here are my three takeaways.

Why did Corey Brewer start?

I mean I understand why Corey Brewer started, but seriously J.B Bickerstaff, why did he start?! The Rockets had not started a small ball lineup in a pretty long while, and yet the playoffs against the best team in the NBA sounded like a great time to dust off that strategy?

"The last few weeks we've been playing traditional with D-Mo (Donatas Motiejunas) on the floor," James Harden said of the small ball lineup, "we just figure out how to get our movement with that small lineup, get guys in different spots to where they could be more effective."

It would seem the Rockets might have outsmarted themselves on the game plan.

The Rockets wanted to play small ball with the Warriors and match up with them. I am fine with that, but once it was clear Brewer did not have it Bickerstaff should have yanked him. That is Bickerstaff's thing, supposedly: play well and playing time is earned. Brewer's offense did not reward the 28 minutes he played, only scoring three points. He was active, causing some turnovers and even making some good defensive plays. But you needed more offense Saturday night and he wasn't giving it to you.

Michael "All I know how to do is score" Beasley only played five minutes. You had absolutely nothing on offense but yet Andrew Goudelock played more? What... Why???

What the ****

If you have followed my takeaways series in the past, you will know I rarely call out the referees. Usually through the course of a game, everything evens out and it's not really that big of a deal. Saturday afternoon was no such game.

The referees were against the Rockets from tip-off. When they were driving on the offensive end the Warriors got to be pretty physical with them at the rim. James Harden even picked up a fourth foul driving to the basket, he had zero free throws on the night. You could count on one hand the number of games Harden had zero free throws this year and you would still have fingers left over.

You tell me, was the game called fairly?

Rockets never left the hotel

Only a few players on the team managed to make it out of the hotel. The stars that were supposed to shine the brightest, flopped and looked like ghosts of their regular season selves (not to mention their 2015 selves). Whether it was the referees taking the team out of the game or the stage being just too big them, almost all of the Rockets looked lost out on the court.

Harden after not getting his normal foul calls, he went into a shell and was not much of a factor, save for the brief third quarter comeback that brought the lead down to 15. Dwight Howard did not play with the fire that he had in last season's playoffs, he was slow and his hands were made out of bricks as he lost at least six (by my count) rebounds and potential dunks as they fell through his fingers.

Patrick Beverley and Jason Terry were the only guys in my eyes that looked like they were ready for the moment. Beverley was locked in all game long, flying all over the place. He didn't score many points, but he left an impact with his fire. After going back through a bunch of different possessions, I came to realize Terry was one of the few players who looked like he knew what he was supposed to do at every moment during the game.

The Rockets made it to the playoffs, but at this point they haven't really made into a playoff game yet.

"It's one game," Beverley said, "had won by a buzzer beater or 100 points it's still one game, we won't let that affect us the next game."

15. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

They have been doing those screens for years now and getting away with them. Not just against the Rockets.

It's even worse at the end of close games. I've Draymond tackle people on screens and not get a call.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Now, that's interesting...

If the second game trends the same way as the first, I would employ your strategy. Foul the whole team out before the beginning of the 4th quarter. That would definitely get everybody's attention.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well someone then should make a video of the Warriors getting called for illegal screen. :p

In this day and age, if it's not on YouTube, it didn't happen.

18. houtown

houtown Member

If doing it the right way does not work, then maybe stop complaining about ESPN and the NBA, this team needs to take matters into their own hands, and make moving screens into moving into running into elbows and knees if doing the right thing and mentioning it to the NBA front office along making their case to the referees does not work during the next game.

19. dream2franchise

@gsmovingscreens

Follow it, send some vines through. Maybe it will gain momentum once it affects a team people actually care about.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

we 'aint winning the series anyway so i say we set an illegal screen every trip down the floor and get called for the offensive foul. foul out so many guys that we have none left to continue the game and the game is abandoned before the half. send the nba a message on national tv.

1 person likes this.