1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston shouldn't turn its back on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 17, 2015.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

Not good enough for what? The article wasn't making an arguemnt that Rockets fans should adulate Dwight.

We (as Rockets fans) can come to terms with Dwight declining while at the same time be bigger than the extreme polarization of Dwight that the media has been stretching out since D12 v Magic.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No. The fans in Houston should not but the management might be doing that in the process.

It is just not a good enough contract.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

To add to this, after seeing you linked it to my comment, Dwight did admit those sources were right, like I pointed out. That makes a huge difference here. He lied and there's nothing questionable about it, as could be the case with other "sauces" reports. The problem with being a genuinely nice guy, who wants to be cool with everyone, is that you can feel like lying is better than stirring things up. It's more of a defense mechanism than plain malice, but it makes it hard to trust people. I personally know folks like that. Sweetest people ever, but they lie to be liked and keep things cool with people. That's what I see with Dwight. Maybe it's not a chronic issue, but he's hard to trust now, at least in this context.

1 person likes this.
  4. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very well said. It amazes me the disrespect of posters dismissing what Clutch has to say with one liners. He is much closer to this team than any of you, and quite honestly, knows better!

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I didn't get that take... He said that dwight denied the report - but as many pointed out - we also saw him make a similar denial - that we know was total bs...
    There's nothing to deny on the SVG stuff... Dwight was caught lying plain and simple...

The SVG thing really made me dislike the guy... I'm glad he's carried himself like a professional since then. I actually really like the guy now. I still don't think i'd pony up a max contract given age and injury concerns... but I do appreciate him for his time with the Rox.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What does that have to do with the media attacking Dwight as being unhappy or the city turning its back on him? What are you disagreeing with because Clutch isn't saying he shouldn't be traded.

1 person likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point. Lord knows that we already have threads dissecting Howard - his defense, his offense, where he lives, what food his dog eats in the morning. Clutch's column has a pretty narrow focus that's easy enough to understand, DD. :)-

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Thank you, Clutch.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I agree 100%. I think it boils down to utilization and game plan. Dwight is obviously ineffective in his post offense. However, he's lethal in the pick and roll. I haven't seen enough pick and roll with Harden or Lawson. Dwight and Jameer Nelson in Orlando ran that pick and roll to perfection....

Coaching.

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Dwight has my full support as long as he's a Rocket, but keep in mind he did burn bridges with Orlando and LA.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

What the "trade Dwight for assets now" camp on this board is delusional about is that Dwight has trade value. No one is going to offer more than a bag of beans for a $23 million player with a big fact option on his contract for next year. Who could walk in a few months. Who most any team can outright sign this summer given the cap explosion. It's just not worth the p.r. hit to even shop him. Finally, once you start shopping him and it gets out, which it will, this season is over.

Just let him play, and worry next summer about whether you can (or even want to) sign him to a reasonable deal. If not, use the cap space opened up elsewhere. Then you can tell the next free agent that you did right by Dwight, you never shopped him, and he simply moved on for more money as was his option.

12. walangjo

walangjo Member

I have a feeling that given Dwight's recent growing up (not fretting his diminished role, taking less money and team-first attitude), he will take it a little bit further taking even less money but longer term (4 yrs around 15M per) to accommodate another superstar (Durant?).

He probably takes cue from what Duncan did in SAS to give himself an even better chance for a championship knowing this is the only way he finishes his career as a true success.

1 person likes this.
  13. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

When has being a "genuine person" stopped fans here from turning their backs on them? It's the team that's important and if a player isn't able to step up or contribute, then we should drop them.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still a big Dwight fan, so I was happy to read this. thanks Clutch, appreciate your taking the time to write this.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I also appreciated reading some positivity for once. No one can be happy about this situation, but that doesn't mean we have to turn on everyone. Much respect for Dwight.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Perhaps I shouldve included the link...

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2015/12/18/20151217-inside-howard-discussion.nba/

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Good post...

T_Man

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Great read, as usual, Clutch.

I agree with everything.

The problems with our guys go way beyond Dwight. It's much more "internal" than that. Trading Dwight would be idiotic, especially when we know what he can do at any given moment, and even more, his ability to control a game when things slow down in the playoffs. There aren't a whole lot of centers out there that can do what Dwight does.

As a team, our guys can come out of this "mess." (Hi, DD).

It's a terrible idea to put James and Dwight against each other, and even worse to put the fans against one another. There shouldn't be a Team James versus a Team Dwight. These guys are legitimate all stars. This isn't Jeremy Lin or any other mediocre player who played in Houston. Our 2 leaders can show how influential they are by holding the team together until that moment when we finally gel. And, we will gel, eventually. I firmly believe in our guys. We're adjusting to having a new coach and a stronger voice in the locker room. J.B. is facilitating growth on a roster of immense talent by promoting cohesiveness and perseverance. We all knew that it would take time to turn the page on the tired, lackluster and "without boundaries" approach of McHale. The last couple of years of his coaching severely damaged the team, in terms of playing as a team, accountability and flexibility on offense and defense. It's all about patience, even if we, as fans, are impatient with the current result.

The Rockets just need to learn to play together, once and for all. They should let Trevor have a bigger voice, because Lord knows, he is the definition of being a professional and having the durability to play through an entire season of ups and downs. He is the glue that keeps this team together, even on his off nights. It's because of the way he plays, regardless of the drama and scoreboard. Our guys ought to take a look at that approach and follow it in their own game.

We'll be fine...a few upcoming changes.

We're still in the playoff picture.

Stay hungry, PatIeNT and loyal.

Great read.

2 people like this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we get Playoff Dwight in the playoffs, he will be worth every penny. Unlike many, I've always liked Dwight for what Clutch stated in his article. The guy is genuine and nice and knows that he has it good. Maybe I see myself in him minus about 16 inches and 100 pounds of muscle.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No you are correct - I just don't believe what Dwight says, but I do believe Clutch so it is a bit of a conundrum.

I will side with Clutch!

DD