1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets: What's gone right and wrong this preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2015.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Clutch-

Great writeup as always, but I personally think the T Jones issues always seem to spiral out of control because there is somehow this narrative (maybe it came from Drexler saying once that he's a future star or something) that he's "the answer" and he's supposed to be dominating the best of the best in the league at the PF spot or at least matching up with them.

I just don't see why we need to have this expectation of him built up. Yes we know the Rockets need to do better to matchup or beat 1 on 1 matchups against the elite of the elite in the West at PF, but even great teams of the past have had their shortcomings (Ex: Francisco Elson started at Center for the Spurs in one of the title runs)

Jones has value to the roster as a player that we know can help you win in the regular season now in probably 75% of the games. Yes, he gets owned occasionally by the elite but having someone on your roster that can help you get through the regular season, and give you a solid backup in the playoffs has value.

I just feel as though we have an "all or nothing" attitude to Jones when I don't think any fan or member of the front office/coaches that feels 100% comfortable with Jones as the guy moving forward for the future. But that doesn't mean he's not going to be valuable this year for the team. That value gets overlooked quite a bit and he often becomes the scapegoat. Sort of a Chalmers/Heat situation.

Just my 2 cents which is well documented, and I promise I'll shut up about hopefully soon. Everything else I agreed with very much even though I didn't notice as well... unfortunately. Health looks to be an issue yet again this year that is going to make guys like Joshua Smith (last year T. Black), and small ball a painful necessity. Even Capela, who has impressed, doesn't seem like a player who can stay healthy playing heavy minutes, or banging with the bigger bodies for 25+ minutes.

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Oh and BTW, he was playing mostly against scrubs from the other teams. Name a play or a move he made against those scrubs that gives you hope?

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Defense was emphasized not only through DMo and Howard, but pretty much everyone on the team last year. Nick Johnson, Tariq Black, Papa, pretty much for everyone who saw the floor during preseason to the first 20 games of the season, defense was priority #1. And rightfully so, we'd just gotten our butts handed to us by Portland.

The scary part is, our deep run was more in part to Harden stepping up on offense than it was our D. Our D was arguably just as bad as against Portland.

In the big scheme of things, irregardless of how Lawson fits in, if our D is mediocre, we're not making it out of the West. It's that simple. And like the previous poster said, that should be the #1 talking point and cause for concern in this preseason.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5agzKcWJsZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

look at what you're even complaining about. did you label dekker an immediate star or something, especially coming onto an established team? People pretty much expected he would be spending time in the D league but apparently according to your A+ scouting report he's some bust without even enough realistic data.

5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

WOW :eek::eek::eek: he really got above the rim there :eek::eek::eek:

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

what does the vertical show on your great scouting report

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

If not the vertical :rolleyes:, please tell me (PLEASE) what you have seen in the last 7 games against scrubs that warrants a 1st round 16th pick?

8. Raven

Raven Member

The biggest issue (other than Dwight's health) facing the Rockets is that both Terrence Jones and D-Mo are in their final year. Since it's doubtful that Morey resigns both, does he trade one of them at the deadline? If so, which? The better of the two, or the healthiest of the two, or the player he can get the best assets for? Or does he keep both (for depth) knowing that he'll lose one of them for nothing next Summer? There is no option that doesn't carry substantial risk.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree. Playing without your anchor defensive center is like taking Aaron Rodgers off the Packers.

Missing DMo has also hurt our defense. The guy just knows where to be, and he doesn't get killed on the block.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's the problem, youre drawing conclusions based off of what. I'll at least be realistic and wait until he's able to get some experience and adjust to the NBA level. then once given the opportunity again, we'll see how he does.

But drawing final conclusions for a rookie in 7 preseason games is ridiculous. If you're able to do that then please like I said contact DM. The NBA needs more like you

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I will when we never see Dekker back in the NBA :)

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not to the extent of DMo and Howard, from what i remember, but nowadays most people will have some degree of it, with all the cell phone use and sitting they do.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Hot take explosion!

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe, just mebbe, this is a good thing for DekTheWrek. Maybe, just mebbe, this will result in the hunger for games from RGV.

Just curious - - who, drafting behind the Rox, lusted after him? Anyone?

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's a very fair analysis, but Clutch does have a point here. Draymond Green isn't part of "the elite". He's not a guy you think will overpower your PF.

While I agree that TJones can be "just a guy" and still contribute on this team, he's got to give us something versus some of the elites every once in a while. The reality is it's tough sledding in the west:

Green / Speights
    Griffin / Smith
    LMA / West
    Randolph / Wright
    Davis / Anderson
    Ibaka / Collison

I'm fine with keeping TJones in the role you described, but I feel it's necessary to get one more vet in the front court to "fill in" when TJones doesn't have it. Ugh.....Josh Smith was the perfect guy for that role.

16. basketballholic

You simply don't give a guy like Terrence a long-term contract so he can be a mediocre bench player who struggles when we go up against playoff teams. You let another team do that and save our cap for something better. We don't have to have Terrence on the team. He can be replaced by many minimum salary players. You don't pay those type of guys big money.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

haven't seen any mention of terry, but in the couple games he was on the floor he has looked very sharp. dare i say much better than bev at running the team in fact. his passing has been crisp, his shot's been on, and his D has been pretty much on par with bev's.

18. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Not a criticism but JSmith moves slow which has gotten him into foul trouble most of the time, but also helps his offensive moves oddly enough. That is where KJ & TJ should make a change. Every shot with them is speedy athletic and they could help themselves by slowing it down some around the basket as a lot of their layup and hook shots aren't too close. Not sure JSmith should make the roster yet. KJ should benefit from some better talent on the floor.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

biggest worry this year is actually DH and Dmo's health because without them, we're not making the finals...

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Great write up.

Though I think Thornton deserves more love than a mention in a blurb about KJ. Thornton has been balling and if he can come in and consistently provide an offensive spark off the bench that will be a huge plus for us.

Kj is not a rotation player as far as I'm concerned and while he does have promise I would not mind moving him and tjones and possibly bev for a really good player...IF it was just a great deal to help push us over the top.

Otherwise I'm actually ok with this roster as is.