1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 7, 2014.

1. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Is there a site that has the cap space of the other 29 teams? I'd be curious to see which teams could take Asik and or Lin as a pure salary dumps.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Very unlikely. Most likely Morey is going to view this upcoming trade (Lin and Asik & future assets to a team for cap space or the player they are losing) as a standalone trade where he is taking it as trading two expiring contracts of rotation veterans and a decent draft pick or two for a all star caliber player which in Moreys book is worth it.

I fully expect the Rockets to do SOMETHING just not sure yet as they probably aren't either. Melo, Z Bo, and potentially trades for better players like Love and Bosh.... Even if all of that falls through I fully expect Morey to finally use the MLE which will keep the Rockets from truly having for sure Max cap room.

No way the Rockets just sit and maintain status quota after this year. If they get bounced again in the first round it's Moreys arse and it speaks volumes to future free agents like Dwight was about the priorities in Houston.

3. red32

red32 Member

I donno. Morey's interview shows that he doesn't really expect big changes - he'll probably get offers for Asik and Lin, but they would be either asking for more with picks, or they would undercut Asik and Lin's value. Morey also has to figure out Parsons' deal. Melo will either stay or go to the Bulls. Kevin Love won't be traded. Small additions yes, but major ones, 15-16 is more likely.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

http://www.shamsports.com

I'm not sure it's 100% up to date but I believe it's the best site available.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Before this year started winding down, it did seem like 2015/16 off-season was the target date to make the real big significant addition (would have cap space, Love/LMA were going to be UFA, Dwight would have one year left guaranteed), but what I'm saying is that I get the feeling from the tone of Les & Morey's post playoff verbiage that Morey is getting pressure to make that happen sooner rather than later, and you keep on hearing more and more about the MLE.

Logic says that not this Summer but next Summer is the target date, but the gut might tell you otherwise, and that there is some anxiety about wasting another year of Dwight's prime, and the repercussions of dealing with Dwight if they get bounced early again. I'm sure there are some folks here that are possibly "insiders" that can confirm or deny the sense that I get. Its just the take I get that things have changed on that front and there is some added pressure to make things happen sooner rather than next year.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Every single season Morey says he doesn't expect big changes, he learned his lesson when the Gasol trade fell through. Martin played disinterested all season. Now Morey doesn't discuss or hint at major changes.

Everyone knows the Rockets can and will move Lin and Asik and are willing to give up assets to make it happen.

The idea that Anthony going to Chicago is a certainty is absurd. The Bulls can only offer a fraction of what Houston or NY can.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Logic says the move is made this off season, not next. The Rockets do not want to waste another year of the prime of Howard. Further they are a number of teams with cap space in 2015. The Rockets have flexibility to make a move when a star is available and that is exactly what the Rockets will do. The resigning of Parsons above the cap and adding a good rotation player for the MLE only makes it more logical.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

One forgotten option here is the Stretch Provision

For those who don't know what it is, you can essentially waive a player and stretch their cap hit over double the remainder of their contract + one year.

So, we could, for example waive Jeremy Lin and stretch his cap hit. This would change his cap from:

1 year, 8.37m

to

3 years, 8.37m (2.7, 2.7, 2.7)

If we did the following items this off season:

1.) Stretch Jeremy Lin
    2.) Trade our 25th pick for 2nd rounders
    3.) Trade Donteas Motiejunas for a future pick
    4.) Ask Garcia to decline his player option, and just resign again for vet minimum (negligible difference in money earned for him)
    5.) Waive Covington and Casspi, resign to similar nonguaranteed deals

By my calculation, that opens up about 9.2 million in cap room.

Is that enough to sign a Kyle Lowry? You tell me.

Lowry / Beverley / Canaan
    Harden / Daniels /Garcia
    Parsons / Casspi
    Jones / Covington
    Howard / Asik

For the record, stretching Asik as well opens up 14.78m in cap room.

#48 larsv8, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'd say Lowry would be getting in the 10-12m range. 9.2m would be a bargain for lowry once again..

10. red32

red32 Member

Of course they "can" move them, attaching Parsons, picks, sure. The "will," I am not sure. As for Melo, not 100%, but the chance of him staying or going to the Bulls is higher than him coming here.

11. red32

red32 Member

Wow, I don't think the organization is that desperate.

12. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

I'm curious as well. Or it might not be important if Rockets can just dump them separately. Won't it be better though to trade as one so the assets that Rockets has to give up won't be too much? :confused:

13. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

I just don't see Rockets extending Lin too:p. Not to mention, Lowly coming back here? Would he really with Mchale as head coach? LOL. and 9mil is too small for him. And definitely too small for Melo and Love, and I'm kinda hoping Morey gets Love. Asik's gone since he's been wanting to be traded for a long time. :cool:

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Lin would then truly become Matt Maloney v2.0

15. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

And Morey would seal his legacy as a great GM. :rolleyes:

Say what you want about Lin, but the reality is that he was a major rotational player(top five in minutes and points) and capable replacement for Harden or Beverley when they were injured. Cannon isn't ready to backup or start. Garcia is blah. Daniels can shoot, but might be a worse defender than Harden.

I just don't see us dumping Lin or Asik for nothing to clear cap space because there is no guarantee that the free agent Morey wants will sign here. We've got too many holes in fill in the team to turn two rotational players into one player.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Morey has already sealed his legacy as a great GM.

Lin is a mediocre player, who is overpaid. He is terrible offensively and worse defensively. He doesn't fit here and needs to go. He has turned in an 8 PER, 45% TS, 36% FG%, and 20% 3pnt shooting in the playoffs thus far. The sooner his cap money can be spend elsewhere the better.

Fortunately for us, we don't have to gamble on the free agent we want signing here. There is no window on the waiving process. We can negotiate with free agents, and if they agree, then waive Lin, taking advantage of the stretch provision.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If Carmelo hasn't been scarred by players with knee injuries, i'm not sure what will

18. stmeph

stmeph Member

The potential implications of salary advances are pretty interesting stuff. We always find ways to innovate in deals, and that seems like a pretty smart way to make the current contracts of Lin and Asik much more attractive to other teams.

Thanks Bima/bbholic.

19. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I think this is the most likely option.... Unless other GMs see through the Lin issue as a problem with our system, rather than a problem with Lin. (I do think some of them might see through it, based on how other point guards have performed on their new teams since leaving the Rockets. This is also how I see it personally.)

20. basketballholic

No way.

You waive him...who can you sign since his cap hit (even stretched) is going to be there? You can't clear enough salary.

It's not going to happen.