1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets traded Asik, his value is so high, they could include White as a sunk cost. Not so sure they could tack on White with Lin.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. I'm exercising some wishful thinking, I suppose.

3. craguin

craguin Member

Off the table...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--n...izzlies--pacers--bucks--knicks-234954522.html

4. Raven

Raven Member

Excellent point!

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Thanks... That's exactly what I was wondering.

Is that a realistic salary for Smith?

6. basketballholic

Just some further notes here:

Assuming the cap comes in at $58.5 million

Dwight's max contract starts at $20,513,178.00

If you consider that we aren't going to waive any of these:
    Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik, Beverley, DMO, TJones

then the only choice to signing Dwight outright is this:
    We can only retain one of Smith/Ohlbrecht. All the others have to go out for no incoming salary.

And if the cap comes in lower than $58.5 then we can only retain Ohlbrecht, which of all these guys he's the one most of us would want to keep.

The idea of stretching White...nice but it is going to clutter the cap too much and it will cost us Ohlbrecht to give Dwight the max. So Royce needs to be traded.

Also, lost in this is the fact that we have to renounce Brooks, Delfino, and Garcia and we can't use any of those guys in sign-and-trades. We're locked in with minimum salary exceptions and our room mle to sign guys. Oh, and we can trade guys.

This is why you can guarantee that Jeremy Lin is first up on the trade block. We won't have anything left to trade but basically Lin, Asik, DMo, and TJones if we sign Dwight outright. If we give the Room MLE to one of Delfino/Garcia, that's pretty much your team. No third superstar (unless you move both Lin and Asik) and no other star free agent signings.

The odds of getting value for Lin in trade are not good until the rest of free agency sorts itself out and teams know who they've got. Why trade for Lin if they can sign Teague outright for less money, etc. etc.? In the meantime, guys like Josh Smith and Paul Millsap are going to go off the market. They're not going to sit around while the big money is on the table waiting for a call from the Rockets.

This is why I think Morey gauged the market for Lin to find out where he could move him. It doesn't mean he's going to trade him. But.....if he can trade Lin as part of a sign-and-trade for Dwight, combining Lin with Trob (gone anyways), White (has to be gone anyways to sign dwight), Smith (most likely has to be gone anyways to sign Dwight), and one of Brooks/Delfino/Garcia signed and traded away (at least 2 of them have to be gone anyways with the signing of Dwight, can only bring one of them back with the room mle)

So, basically if Morey could move Lin for nothing but draft picks and use Lin's salary as part of a bigger sign-and-trade for Dwight, he could replace Lin with the Full MLE and the Bi-annual exception. That is a $5.15 million player or players and a $2 million player.

Would you rather have Dwight and Jeremy or would you rather have Dwight and the Full MLE and the Bi-Annual exception? That is what the possible sign-and-trade of Dwight sending out Lin does.

And actually it's more than that. Trading Lin as part of a sign-and-trade for Dwight opens up a whole myriad of possibilities. Remember we can still sign and trade whichever 2 are left of Brooks, Garcia, Delfino. And if we used one of them in a sign and trade for Dwight, that would be Lin, Trob, White, and one of them out for Dwight. Leaving us the other 2 to combine in another possibly sign and trade. That's potentially $4-6 million of outgoing salary that could bring us back a $6-9 million salary player. Throw in Smith and some second rounder and you've got the potential to sign-and-trade for Millsap while still retaining your full mle and bi-annual exceptions.

Now, secondly. Let's consider an outright signing of Dwight. This has already been mentioned here a bunch. If you're gonna get another star/superstar player, who are you going to trade??? It's gonna have to be Lin and/or Asik. If Morey already has a market for Lin which will take him without sending back salary, he can then combine Lin's salary with some of TRob's second rounders and come up possibly with a player like Millsap.

However, keep in mind. If you sign Dwight outright...basically all our non-guaranteeds have to go except Bev and Ohlbrecht. So you've only got Asik, Lin, Jones, DMo, and Ohlbrecht to work with as far as salary goes to trade out for somebody else. That means if you are gonna go after Smith...in all likelihood Asik and one of Ohlbrecht/Jones/DMo will have to go out. Now...possibly Atlanta would do a S&T if you sent Lin to Milwaukee and sent ATL one of Ohlbrecht/Tjones/DMo. They probably would if JSmith told them he's going to walk.

So, let's say we are able to do that with Lin's contract. You've only got the Room MLE and minimum salary exceptions to come up with a band-aid point guard and a Delfino/Garcia type wing.

See the difference in the limitations?????

Guys the possibility of Lin being traded is very real. He may not be a Rocket by next Friday. And the chances of a sign-and-trade for Dwight keeping us over the cap are very real as well. LA doesn't want back salary. They've been very consistent about that. They're not going to pay an extra $75 million for a player or players that aren't as good as Dwight. So Dwight going to GS is virtually an impossibility. However, faced with losing Dwight for absolutely NOTHING, will the Lakers relent and accept a TPE of somewhere between $19-$20.5 million and some future second rounders and some cash and possibly a guy like Greg Smith they would possibly do a S&T on those terms. They're not having to pay an extra $75 million, they are getting value, and they are getting some flexibility with the TPE if they decide to trade Pau at the deadline.

Morey was exploring a trade of Lin for these reasons. There's a lot of salary cap flexibility going forward if Morey can generate a sign-and-trade for Dwight using Lin/Trob/White/Smith and one of Brooks/Garcia/Delfino. I think it is slightly more than a remote possibility.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Who the f care about Ohlbrerehwe..(whatever the f name that is...). What has he been proving?? Dude is nothing but a scrub and here you are talking about "COSTING" US OHLBRECHT? Stupid idiot.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This would be my dream come true. Our Squad would be the favorite in the West.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Delfino, brooks, and Garcia can't be sign and traded for Howard as the Lakers are above apron. Trading Lin and Asik to lakers would be needed for trading rules to match with Rockets keeping exceptions. Not going to happen.

10. basketballholic

Ohlbrecht is a young, german forward, 6'11" with very good athleticism on a minimum salary contract that is budding into an NBA player. He's a valuable asset that lots of teams would snap up if we waived him. There's a reason why you're not an NBA GM nor anything remotely close to it. Because you'd give away the farm and call the other GMs stupid idiots for taking away all your talent. Stinking genius.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Billups is done. I don't think he'd help even as a third option guard.

I'd look at an underrated guy like Udrih who's put up nice numbers when given minutes. If he can be signed for 3M or less would be an interesting pick up. The Bucks had a WBPS of their own.

http://www.youtube.com/results?gs_r...Gc&biw=1280&bih=914&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3845/gamelog;_ylt=AwrTIzxH89RRTi8AMAYKPaB4

http://www.brewhoop.com/2012/12/3/3720192/milwaukee-bucks-lineup-pyramids-vol-2

12. j3i

j3i Member

If I remember correctly, Boston offered Ohlbrecht a contract before we did. He is wanted out there for sure. I'm hoping him and Glen Rice Jr. make a strong case for the vipers.

13. basketballholic

Udrih...interesting.

14. LOL

LOL New Member

Do not want.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Calm down. Lol

16. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

If you ask me, I would rather have Jeremy than Full MLE+BAE.

However, if you don't like Jeremy, you can trade him in a separate S&T for a MLE+ player you would like to sign after signing Howard with cap space. You may need to compensate the other team with draft picks (or other assets) depending on how valuable or how bad you think Lin's contract is, but the same exact consideration goes in a Lin+others for Howard S&T scenario too. The Lakers would arguably demand more compensation for Howard S&T than another team demand for a MLE level player. In other words, the assets you save by signing Howard outright should hopefully be sufficient to convert Lin to the combination of role players you want at MLE+BAE.

In addition, by trading Lin your target is not restricted to FAs, and you can take back up to $12M in salary. It provides a lot of flexibility that a MLE does not have.

Playing above the cap with near-max cap space is a very difficult and rare scenario. I don't see it making too much sense in our case. It's not like Garcia/Delfino/Brooks non-guaranteed contracts are really valuable in a trade. It that were the case, we would have already picked them up and converted them into draft picks.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

man you are too deep into it..Thanks for the info.

18. basketballholic

I don't know about that. First of all, with Dwight, we're gonna need shooters. But they're all already leaving the market...Duneleavy, Korver, Redick, etc. they're already gone. It will only take one of those 3 guys to add to Lin, White, and Trob to have enough salary to sign-and-trade for Dwight. Guess what? That means you can sign the other two? Garcia wants the Knicks?? $3 million sign-and-trade him there along with Trob to Portland and White/Smith, Lin to whomever...that's enough salary for Dwight. And now you can re-sign Brooks (stop gap shooter point guard) and Delfino and still have the full MLE and the bi-annual exception. You don't have to use them but they are there.

19. LiveEatSleepRox

I never really got my head around salary cap and a lot of the technical/number crunching sides of the NBA. Articles and posts like these help a bunch in order for me to understand!!

MUCH APPRECIATED!

20. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Damn, some of you amateur cap-ologists should be on the payroll for NBA teams