1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Roxs-Redemption

Thanks for the read BimaThug. You're like the GM assistant or something. Hehe

2. Chamillionaire

If Morey really wants to revamp the team around Dwight, we're really gonna have to move Lin and his $8 million contract.

Dwight / Smith
    TJones / DMo
    Parsons / Brewer
    Harden / Anderson
    Calderon / Beverly / Canaan

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yet Asik remains.

One would have to think any deal bringing in Howard would have Asik leaving.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I always love Bima's cap updates, but I saw firsthand how he busted it on this one -- he had to re-write it after the Thomas Robinson trade and did a great job breaking it down. Thanks for your unique insight and evaluation, David.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Where does the Calderon rumor come from? Do the Rockets believe they can sign him for the MLE amount or less because it's a soft market for PGs this free agency? Do they think his presence on the roster can entice Llull next year?

6. Nero

Nero Member

This is awesome as usual Bima.

Question I have is, given all that, how in the world have the Rockets been thinking they could make an offer to CP3 as well?

Under what scenario would they have had enough to offer not just one, but two max level deals? It looks like they barely have enough for just the one for DH12..

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Bima always said he felt getting both Dwight and CP3 was next to impossible. Or at least very difficult.

#27 tallanvor, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for your fantastic analysis Bima!

I never thought Beverley was on the chopping block!

I think we should be able to trade him for at least a future first rounder, or bundle him as an extra incentive with Asik and White to Atlanta for J.Smith.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Give Lin and Asik away, but force team to take Royce. Give Jones away.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Fantastic work! Thank you!

11. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

In the predict the starting 5 thread I called us getting Calderon and Smith. Unfortunately I didn't think we'd be getting Howard also.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

IF dh does come to houston, he is for sure a starter. asik has to move back to his old role. asik has proved he is a very good center. would he be happy? rumors are saying both lin and asik on trading block. i kinda sense those rumors are true.

on lin's case, he was brought here before harden wasn't on rox radar. w/ our young and inexperience squad, to bring lin here makes sense. lin proved he can take no name players to a la la land. well, on the other hand, he has not been doing super good job playing alongside a star/stars. w/ dh and harden, how much do rox want to get from his service? my big concern is bev. i know alot fans here are hyping on him. i am completely in the opposite group. if we do end up with him playing starting pg, he would be THE scapgoat for rox not to reach at least conference final.

on asik case, it's all about his attitude and money. it's very tough to ask him to play backup again after he demonstrated he is an elite NBA starter on any team except team with dh. to move him would create cap space to sign dh same as to move lin, an example used by bima. it looks like we are still a little bit short if we don't move one of lin and asik.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great article, Bima!

I have a question though in concerns to adding depth. Isn't another possible avenue to add guys like Llull, Aldemir and the new Greek kid? I'm assuming since we have their rights we have the ability to go over the cap to sign them as we would with a player whose bird rights we hold - but I don't know that for certain.

14. basketballholic

Good read as always.

One think I am still considering is the possibility of sign and trades to stay above the cap. It would seem to be to not be that much more difficult to execute sign and trades to stay above the cap than it would be to carve out enough cap room for Dwight AND enough cap room to give Canaan the Parsons style contract and control him into restricted free agency.

So, with that in mind we have to remember that we can still sign and trade Francisco Garcia.

With the Rox now meeting with JSmoove (if those rumors are true) and the rumor of Atlanta willing to S&T Smith for Asik and the rumors of the Rockets shopping Lin for a guy like Dunleavy and Garcia out there looking for a team...I'm still wondering about an initial sign and trade for Dwight with us sending out a combined $15.5 salary for him. A couple things have to happen for this to go down:

1. LAL has to finally relent and agree to sign and trade Dwight.
    2. We've got to put together multiple transactions involving Lin and TRob going different places and picks (Trob picks for one) and space going to the LAL.
    3. Garcia has to want to go to a title-contending team without cap space to sign him outright that requires a sign and trade.

I happen to believe the Milwaukee rumor about Lin for Dunleavy (if we can get Dunleavy cheap enough). Dunleavy is the perfect roster filler for what Delfino/Garcia gave us. And if we could get Dunleavy to agree to come here for the Delfino money ($3 million) and Milwaukee to agree to trade for Lin...we could then use Lin as part of a sign and trade for Dwight. You'd have $11.9 million in place for a sign and trade of Dwight, needing only $3.6 million more.

Royce, GSmith, Anderson almost gets you there leaving you about $100,000 short. However Garcia changes all that. He's most likely going to earn around $2.5 million to $4 million per season a great sign and trade contract that may actually allow us to absorb Dunleavy as well as Dwight and still have Greg Smith, James Anderson, and yes the beloved Royce White's expiring contract to add to the Asik salary and bring back Josh Smith ....or possibly LaMarcus Aldridge.

Doing it this way leaves us with the full MLE ($5.15 mil) + the Bi-Annual exception ($2.016 mil) and the minimum salary exceptions. We could then sign Dunleavy for the Delfino money (if we were not able to absorb him already in a larger deal) or possibly even and have enough left over to give Canaan a sliver for the Parsons style 3-yr birds rights contract controlling him into restricted free agency and still have enough to possibly bring back Delfino (or sign some other player) at the Bi-annual exception.

Objections????
    1. LA has been very adament about not doing a sign and trade.
    Response: Yes they have. But if they see he's gonna walk for nothing I think they'd gladly take 4 second rounders (TRob deal) and possibly a young player or two like Greg Smith/Tim Ohlbrecht. Might they demand one of TJones/DMO??? Possibly. But in a scenario where we are trying to bring in Dwight AND JSmith/LaMarcus....TJones/DMo become expendable. You have to understand that.

2. Garcia isn't obligated to sign and trade with us.
    Response: No he's not. But most contending teams are at or above the cap. So, it's a distinct possibility. We are at a unique point in cap management. Teams are either breaking it down to make a run at the 2014 draft ala Celtics/Hornets/etc. or they are building up to make a run at a championship ring. In either case, teams are much more conscious about the money they are spending. Can you see a team going to the lottery and not competing wanting to sign Garcia to a multi-year deal?? Or is it much easier to envision a contender wanting Garcia as a shooter off the bench?

Contenders do have exceptions available to use to sign guys. But do you think they prefer to use those exceptions on Garcia or would they prefer to execute a sign and trade and keep their exceptions?

15. Garner

Garner Member

Bima,

Did you get an offer from ESPN to work as a cap analyst/expert?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am curious about this too, though I'm sure I've read the answer to this question on here before. Could we, for example, bring over Furkan A and The New Greek? And if so, how/when would that impact our cap?

17. basketballholic

Here's a tidbit worthy of supposition:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Lakers have been in contact with Francisco Garcia's representative, according to a league source. There is &quot;mutual interest&quot;</p>&mdash; Dave McMenamin (@mcten) <a href="https://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/351570604777938945">July 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

first del3no now francisco "**** you" garcia

lakers are so jelly were taking dwight

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Lakers need to offer more than the taxpayer's MLE for any of those guys it will benefit the Rockets if Dwight chooses Houston. A S&T involving Dwight means the Rockets will get the MLE.

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Garcia is a great player. We should have re-signed him.