1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 24, 2013.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Remember, the Rockets signed Harden to a five-year maximum salary EXTENSION. Because the extension does not kick in until 2013-14, the actual maximum salary was not known at the time the extension was signed. And if Harden's extension entitles him to "the maximum salary for which the player is eligible," then he'd be able to get the higher salary if he meets any of the Rose Rule criteria.

See Larry Coon's explanation here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58

(He even specifically notes that James Harden is eligible for the "30% max" if he meets the Rose Rule criteria.)

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Thanks. This was the information I was missing.

#102 tallanvor, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

BimaThug, a question for you. if other teams get lin through a trade, how does his salary affect other teams' cap?

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

$8.37 million per. Just like for the Rockets.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

thx. someone stated it in the game thread.

what if knicks had matched and then decided to trade him, what impact would his salary have had?

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

$5 million, $5.225 million, $14.898 million.

The cap treatment remains consistent from the trading team to the team acquiring the Arenas contract via trade.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lin would be an All Star without McHale holding him back. NY would never trade him even if the opposing team could offer one billion in cash.

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

you're the man.:grin:

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

suddenly, i have another question. a player's contract has a clause which he has the right to refuse trade or he has a list of teams he can be traded to. if he gives up this right in a trade, is the clause gone after trade?

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Unless your name is Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett, you don't have that right to begin with.

No-trade clauses are VERY rare in the NBA and can only be included in a contract if the player meets certain requirements regarding years of service in the league AND years of service with the team.

More on that here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q98

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

of coz, i am not. otherwise, i would ask my lawyer to answer my question.:grin::grin::grin:

it looks like the no trade clause goes with the contract. that means even he waives it in a trade. he still have it in case he might be traded again. am i right?