1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 24, 2013.

1. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

2. valorita

valorita Member

The key is to build something the other teams cant match up with.
    Mia already have the best wing combo in the game along with the best player
    OKC have the second best.
    If we want to contend, we have to get the best C/Pf combo to negate the wing play.
    A Dwight/Dmo/Trob trio have the potential to be that.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I know that getting both Dwight and Paul would be highly unlikely, to say the least but it's technically possible. If one of them chooses to sign with Houston, i really think the other one will at least consider forming a big three. It also helps a bit that Paul and Harden are really good friends and i remember CP3 saying that he regularly gets in touch with Harden.

Again, this may be a pipe dream scenario but how awesome would a team be with having 3 players who are arguably the best at their positions? Best point guard, best center, and soon to be, best shooting guard in the NBA, playing together in one team. Even Miami would be worried.

Chris Paul vs Mario Chalmers
    James Harden vs Dwayne Wade
    Chandler Parsons vs LeBron James
    Thomas Robinson vs Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard vs Udonis Haslem

Again, one can dream. I just feel so fortunate to be a fan and a massive supporter of a team with an owner and a GM who's worked and sacrificed (much credit goes to Les Alexander) a ton to put the franchise in this ideal position. Never felt this excited for the Rockets in more than a decade it seems!

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For illustration's sake only (I do not necessarily advocate these moves), the Rockets could likely open up enough cap room to sign Dwight Howard by making the following moves:

Trade 1: Royce White and cash for [nominal consideration]. Trading Royce (by then, an expiring contract) to an under-the-cap team or to a team with a trade exception would open up another $1.23 million in cap room. If necessary, the Rockets could include more cash than White is scheduled to make next year, allowing the other team to even waive White AND take a profit.

Trade 2: Terrence Jones for a future draft pick. Similar to what the Rockets just did with Marcus Morris, they could create yet another $1.06 million in cap room. The pick would hopefully be a (protected) first rounder, but if absolutely necessary, the Rockets could always dump Jones for a second round pick.

That gets you to about $20.2 million in cap room or so. If the cap goes up even to $61 million (completely within the realm of probability), BOOM, there's your Dwight Howard cap room.

AGAIN, I DO NOT ADVOCATE THESE TRADES. Just showing how it's possible to make moves to open up enough room to sign Dwight Howard.

As to your point about preserving cap room for 2014 (if necessary), this is where the contracts of Lin and Asik come in handy. Their salary cap figures do not increase from year to year, so that helps preserve cap room a little. Also, the Rockets likely wouldn't add much/any salary that extends beyond 2014. You'd only be dealing with increases to Harden's salary and the rookie scale contracts. Plus, increases to the salary cap will likewise increase the Rockets' cap room.

FYI, the "super-max" salary for Lebron James in 2014 will be about $20.02 million (105% of his 2013-14 salary with Miami), subject to the (likely) higher "standard" max salary for 10+ year veterans that will be in place by July 2014.

Sure thing. The new CBA instituted a rule, commonly referred to as the "Derrick Rose Rule," that enables teams to pay young superstar players coming off their rookie scale contracts the "7-9 year vet" max salary instead of just the "0-6 year vet" max.

In order to qualify, a player needs to accomplish at least one of the following while under his rookie scale contract: (a) make two All-NBA Teams (First, Second or Third Team); (b) be voted as a starter in two All-Star Games; or (c) win the MVP award once.

Harden has never made an All-NBA Team, and even if/when he makes it this year, that will only be one time, not enough to qualify under the Rose Rule on the All-NBA criterion. Harden has never started in an All-Star Game, so that's out. The only remaining criterion he could possibly meet to be able to get Rose Rule treatment is to win the MVP this season.

Hope that explains things.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

always learn something. thx.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Thanks for great analysis once again Bima...

Im not quite sure if this can be the case, but any chance Parsons, looks to renegotiate the terms on his deal??? Parsons is a solid fit next to Harden(however, i know the Rockets still have 2 more years on this kid...sometimes im a firm believer on rewarding kids that work hard and Parsons has been everything and more considering where he was picked in his draft class...)

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

NBA contracts can't be renegotiated.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yes, they can. But only under very limited circumstances.

I actually wrote a blog post about it: http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3455/chandler-parsons-contract-analysis/

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I recall morey saying the most valuable contracts in this NBA's CBA are ones for max players (superstars) and the rookie scale contract since both can mean having players that exceed the values of their artificially capped contracts.

In this new CBA, is it possible or even wise to have 3 max players surrounded by a bunch of rookies and vet min players? In this purposed scenario D12 + CP3 + Beard = +$54 million with some 6-12 players left to fill out the roster.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

By the way, thanks as always Bima for this and educating this forum. You mentioned feeling like CF is more intelligibly conversant on cap issues and we all reap the benefits as I've learned not just from you but others who learn from you too.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The value of that PHX second rounder is out of sight if Morey hits on it big time like he did Parsons. And how often does that get hit out of the park like CP25 without stashing overseas for a duration?

The pick is likely greater value for said stashing or trading.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, this is the Cuban Hypothetical part of the program?

13. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I could see this happening

and if we can somehow sign and trade for Iggy as well we would be a title contender

Pasons/Pick for Iggy

Asik/DMO/(German Kid)
    Gasol/(Robinson)
    Iggy
    Harden
    Lin/Beverly

IDK if we have enough money to take on all that salary but i bet Morey could figure it out...

That lineup would be the perfect combination of both defense and offense along with veteran experience and youth

and if it dosen't work out let Gasol walk and lets take our chances with the FA summer of Lebron and company

14. jocar

jocar Member

Thanks Bima! Now I can copy and paste into CF and pretend like I understand these things.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Would it be more wise to spend the cap space on a pair of "super rotation guys" like Iguodala, J Jack, Splitter or Redick and then try and add the second superstar via trade like Aldridge or Love for some younger players?

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Iguodala
    Parsons/Iguodala(super sub)
    Aldridge/Donuts
    Asik/Splitter

16. romain

romain Member

17. basketballholic

If Bima's calculations are correct, it appears there is still the opportunity to help the Bulls get under the salary cap. Wonder what it would be worth to them now that the trading deadline has passed?

18. basketballholic

Pardon me. I meant Luxury Tax. It appears there is still the opportunity to help the Bulls get under the luxury tax. Wonder what it would be worth to them now?

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Nope. Luxury tax is determined based on team salary as of the last day of the regular season. They're screwed on that front.

20. Jet036

Jet036 Member

update's already outdated now -_-