1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update (Updated: 3/2/2011)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 27, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I still dont get this Thabeet move, I really don't.

All that salary to just rot on our bench. I mean, is he a legitimate prospect for us, or is he the cost of an extra draft pick? Was the Battier trade just a loaner since Heisley is good friends with Morey to help them make the playoffs?

I have a feeling there is much more to this trade that meets the eye. Its just not really a Morey move. I guess we will see what his plan is over time.

2. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I totally agree, however from and owners standpoint I think Yao is the only reason the rockets are profitable and until we have a new "star" to sell we are going to ride him for all he is worth

3. HTXEZE

HTXEZE Member

We must keep chuck, hes our mvp and is extremely underrated what if we give him a 5 year 20 mill contract? Then sign yao to a one year deal with the minimum?
    We could also use him as a coach to teach thabeet some stuff

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thanks for the update and work you put in Bima....for the first time in a while it really feel like we won't have much to look forward to for a few years...unless something crazy happens i can't see us trading for any star soon. It seems like they all are in the "right place". CP is probably our only shot. Maybe Iggy, but he's not getting any younger and isnt really a star.

As for the sig bet:

Leebigez: I miss Shane Battier :(

:grin:

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's a risk they had to take...no one is giving up their established center or even the projects. I think he just realized he had to do something at that position. It would have been a while, if he just kept waiting for the "right" one.

I think they're going to throw everyone they can at him. Yao, Deke, dream, Dawson, sikma, etc..And hope, at worst, he'll be a 10/10/2 guy.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

so we're a lottery team with little cap space

that's pretty discouraging

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Nice to hear from you again D.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trades don't have to be "organized" the same way from both sides. The classic example of this was the McGrady for Francis/Mobley trade, as described by Larry Coon. Memphis needed to include Carroll to absorb Battier's salary, but that doesn't necessarily have an impact on Houston's flexibility. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q72

Both Thabeet and and Carroll would fit into the Ariza exception. I don't know that they did it, but it would essentially be a way to extend the usage period (and increase the value of) the exception.

Edit: Also to say - nice recap!

#28 NIKEstrad, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ayyyyy, DD! What's up? Welcome back.

10. Apps

Apps Member

I only have one question, and it's been bugging me for so long.

Is "Bima" pronounced as "Bee-muh" or "Bye-muh"?

11. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

What I don't understand is why Morey and Les aren't making RA play the guy. I know he wants to win games, but just like Bima brought up...we have such a limited amount of time to make a HUGE decision on the guy. I understand the high-risk, high-reward situation and that no one wanted to give up a big, but man, at least see what the guy has got. I'm hoping it's just that they want to get in a couple practices before they "unleash" him. We'll see.

Bima, great write-up, I really appreciate it! We've got some great assets here at clutchfans!

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Guys, remember the disclaimer. We don't know the new rules. No firm conclusions can be drawn regarding how much cap space the Rockets will have until a new CBA is in place.

Touché! Let me look into this to confirm.

Bee-muh.

13. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Another great article Bima, thanks breaking it all down.

I am hoping we sit this offseason out and worry about our current players. Obviously we need to bring Chuck back, no matter what. As much as many people want to see the Rockets part ways with Yao, I think they're going to bring him back. They need someone to help bring in the revenue, and there is nowhere else to turn to at this point.

I hope Morey can find a way to avoid picking up the option on Thabeet and sign him to a smaller deal. Hopefully we will find a way to rid ourselves of Jordan Hill and possibly pick up a draft pick in the process. I would think we will pick up the option on T-Will because of his upside and the fact that the option doesn't break the bank, and could actually be a bargain if he does what everyone here seems to think he can do.

In the end, I see us packaging players and picks to either move up in the draft, or for some future draft picks.

Thanks again Bima, I've been looking forward to something like this to see where we actually stand in the upcoming offseason(s).

Pugs

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

How exactly did the Thabeet - Battier trade work? We sent them a whole lot of salary, and took back very little.

15. LScolaDominates

As in, "I was invited to sit on the bima for my cousin's bar mitzvah"?

1 person likes this.
  16. thething

thething Contributing Member

Why didn't they just cut Jeffries to make room for Carroll? I think Ish is well worth the 1 mill or so that Jeffries gave up in the buyout. I think that possibly Ish was a major asset in the deal with Memphis.

17. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

We sent them 7.83 mil and received 5.88 mil. You're allowed to take back 25% more + 100k than you give so that means Memphis could take on 7.45 mil. Maybe they paid us 350k in cash?

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Separate the perspectives. Teams are always allowed to take on less salary (save for some exceptions such as BYC restrictions), so the trade worked for us. As I mentioned, it's possible we actually used the Ariza exception and traded Battier for "nothing", creating a new larger exception (and also a small exception for Ish's salary, which is useless for all intents and purposes).

For Memphis, the deal was two separate transactions:
    1. Carroll (1.09M) + Thabeet (4.80M) for Battier (7.35M)
    2. Ish Smith for "nothing"

Carroll + Thabeet (5.89M) * 125% + 100K = 7.46M, enough to absorb Battier's contract

Ish Smith can be traded for nothing under the Minimum Player Salary exception. Exactly as it sounds, players on minimum contracts can be traded without regard to salary matching. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q73

1 person likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I think they really wanted him. Apparently he worked out many times for them and they liked what they saw in his short stint with the Rockets. I think that's basically the price of the pick we got.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bima, great analysis, but this really is grim news. It means (most likely) that next year is going to look a helluva lot like this year. The Thabeet, Hill, TWill combined salary is indeed disturbing. No way we can extend Thabeet, but he'll take up a good chunk next year. Hill ...well, as far as I'm concerned, I'm ready for the experiment to end. We already have too much young raw talent to develop. He's actually not worth his contract. We need to trade him for a late first rounder (or whatever we can get) and be done with it. As far as TWill goes, i think you have to extend him given that you gave up a 1st rounder for him as well as his potential. Of those 3, concievably that only leaves us Twill on the roster for the 2012 off-season (assuming Thabeet turns out to be a bust).