1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: "Total Rebuild" Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We don't seem to attract max free agents like in the past. And "come play with Jrich and Big Baby!" won't get it done.

2. jocar

jocar Member

Same here. Parsons and Lin already seem pretty tight, and Lamb and Lin will definitely bond - both devout Christians (new handshake?).
    captain obvious alert
    We'd have something similar (even better, given time) to what Lin ran in NY. Lamb/Novak and Parsons/Landry on the wings, while DMo or Bynum? run p&r's with Lin. DMo doesn't finish as strong as Chandler, but he adds more p&r variations and the pick & pop threat, with that outside stroke.

What's really great is how humble and aware these guys (esp. Parsons and Lin) are, of their weaknesses, and their desire to immediately work on and change them. Isn't it nice to know we can count on Morey to ring in high character, high confidence guys- most of the time.

I really hope this core stays put, and we get to watch them develop together. Plenty of extra cap room for some solid vets to mentor. (sorry Scola :(). Losses and missing the playoffs I can stomach, if I get to witness the creation of a true contender from start to finish. Let's finish this this time!

3. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

what do you know? do you talk to these nba players personally?

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

BIG NEWS ITEM:

David Weiner ‏@BimaThug
    For those anxious for another transaction by the Rockets, you'll probably get your wish tomorrow: Sean Williams expected to be waived.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Splash.

Also, is Bima an insider now? Breaking news himself.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not breaking news. It's just common sense.

Sean Williams's contract becomes fully guaranteed if he is not waived by August 1.

With 16 fully or partially guaranteed contracts already on the books, it simply makes no sense to keep Williams on the roster beyond tomorrow.

Of course, in the ever-so-unlikely event that the Rockets could manage to trade Williams for a conditional second rounder or a no-name Euro stash player's draft rights, I'd take that as well.)

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My sauces say no such trades are in the works.

8. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Lin, Lamb and Dwight could hold an All-star prayer meeting.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You have been paying attention to this team, right?

But to give Morey credit, he's trying to acquire a star so that another star will come here. We lucked out with Yao (albeit through the #1 pick), who got us McGrady.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Dallas has nothing to offer via trade, but they do have is a aging superstar and an owner and gm committed to winning at any price.

Here is what I can see happening and again, I'm a howard guy. He gets traded to houston and has this lingering back issue. Anytime you deal with a back, there is no medical staff that can tell a player how much he hurts. In other words,he's kinda dogging it. Now, the team is sucking and howard is on the shelf in and out and morey trades him to where? La for bynum. Ok , bynum is a really good young player in a older body, but atleast you got something for howard. The problem is, you just gift wrapped a title to La for the next couple of years like they almost did with the paul trade. Again, I like Howard and Bynum, but Bynum on the rockets is much further away from being a contender than with howard on Lakers. So its true bynum might sign an extension and thats great,except for what the rockets just helped LA big freaking time.

Thats my problem with the gamble on howard. People last year was talking of him dogging it. I didn't really see that, but there were games when he seemed disinterested and unmotivated. Being in houston on a strpped down team and coming off a back is a bad situation. Ity could be seen that at least the rockets will suck enough to get a high pick, but I'd rather suck enough and sort through the young players. You best believe and poster are saying morey wouldn't give up the ship for howard, but he would. I mean, in recent times, its gotten too rich for morey in the trading game and he backed out. Amare trade hinged on taking barbosa and giving up brooks and he backed out. Orlando is going to ask for lamb,donatas,and probably jones plus future picks.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If we get Howard, I see no way in which there is a follow up trade for Bynum. If he leaves, he leaves. Sink or swim.

Morey isn't an idiot. He made his offer and IMHO, in order for his plan to work, he needs the rest of his "assets" for that follow up move, whatever it may be. Orlando can ask for whatever they want, but they will take the best offer before the season starts. Waiting till the deadline would just be incredibly stupid, as it basically dilutes thier 2013 pick, and no team thats not in the game now will step in at the deadline.

I think you Morey intends to offer 1 of Lamb or Dmo, Martin, Morris, White or Jones and the toronto pick for Howard Jrich.

That leaves you with Lin / Jrich / Parsons / Patterson / Howard

He can turn around and offer Dmo/White/Parsons/Patterson somewhere for a stud 2,3 of 4.

#171 larsv8, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. ejarts

ejarts Member

doesn't make sense to give up so much for someone who's not gonna stay. it would be ok to give them terrence Jones, ppatt, Harrellson, and the picks. but other than that, no way. we have to keep our potential AllStars. specially Howard saying hell go to the Mavs next year. I say screw him. unless we're getting bynum. I'm down with bynum.

13. Diehardrocket10

Diehardrocket10 New Member

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After the Rockets traded for McGrady, he signed a max extension. Yao signed a max deal with the Rockets. The Rockets simply have not had the opportunity to attract max players because they haven't had the cap room due to those two signings. And it should be noted that these were both decisions made by the players. They could have chosen free agency.

The only max candidate they have pursued is Bosh, and it turns out that he already had a deal to form the Big Three. No shame in missing on that one. So to say they "don't seem to attract max free agents like in the past" is not really painting an accurate picture. Not saying that you are trying to mislead, but your perception may be a little different than actual history.

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

+1. Also, IIRC we took a swing at Rashard Lewis before he signed with Orlando. But it was more of a sorry we chose 3 duds when we promised we would take you in the first mea culpa.

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Was he waived or not? Any updates?

17. thekad

thekad Member

These ideas keep getting worse. So now we can be stuck with Orlando's trash, an all-star that will keep us mediocre, no young talent, and no Dwight. Honestly, the worst of all worlds.

18. craguin

craguin Member

I don't think Sean Williams has been waived.

http://www.nba.com/news/transactions/2012_13/
    August 2012

Thursday, Aug. 2
    • Minnesota signed center Greg Stiemsma.

Wednesday, Aug. 1
    • New York signed guard Chris Smith.
    • Phoenix signed forward P.J. Tucker to a two-year contract.

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Wow, it could be an early indication of a deal involving him being agreed on.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First off, the nba.com Transaction page doesn't have every single transaction listed. For instance, I don't believe they EVER listed the waiving of E'Twaun Moore on that page, yet it was, in fact, done.

Second, it is at least POSSIBLE that the information I had on Sean Williams's contract guarantee date is wrong. I got my information from shamsports.com, which is 99.9% accurate on these things; and that site listed the guarantee date on Williams's contract as August 1.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/2012/celtics.jsp
    (Just move your cursor over the name "Sean Williams" and it will give you his contract info)

I still stand by my assertion that the Rockets WILL NOT guarantee Sean Williams's salary. Therefore, that leaves the above two explanations: either (1) he's already been waived and it just hasn't been posted or (2) his contract guarantee date may be later than August 1.