1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: The Impact of Harden's Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 11, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Great read, Bima. Nice to see that the team is in a positive direction, even if our record doesn't necessarily reflect that.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

That is great if someone of value was actually available this summer. Nothing but free agent stiffs.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Excellent read as usual.

Let's hope Lin starts playing up to snuff and we can acquire a legitimate front court player that can play defense, and play off the pick and roll.

4. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

A wet dream that could be a reality...All it takes is one star...K.Love would look good in Rockets Red...

We could have a Line up of:
    Love,
    Lin,
    Parsons,
    Harden,
    Asik

That is a extremely dangerous squad...and I like it...:)

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

wow, it def. sounds like Kahn has royally screwed up the Love situation. It's certainly not a lock that he resigns with Minny. If the opportunity comes a knockin' i hope Houston is ready to pounce!

7. valorita

valorita Member

The only way we r getting love is if wolves suck this year and love demands a trade while we aquire some more assets w our cap space. We would then have to just sort the pg problem and get a true floor leader

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Bima,
    Nice read but what I'm really curious about is why DM seems so against having any garunteed money tied up past 2014. In the summer of 2015, as of right now, James Harden is the only player the Rockets owe garunteed money to. The team would not go to a 4th year for Asik or Lin and essentially lost Dragic because they would not give into the 4th year. There are players under contract for 2015 and beyond but those contracts are either team options or non-garunteed contracts.

So what do you think? Was this by design by DM? Is there something specific in 2015 that have caused the Rockets to guard their cap room for that summer? Or is it just the way the contracts have fallen into place?

9. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Looks like Love has a player option in 2014/2015? We all know Morey is about flexability so thats probably his main reason for not having long term deals.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The contracts for Lin and Asik were structured as three-year deals specifically in order to maximize the quirkiness of the Arenas Rule. By making them three-year deals, the "pain" of the balloon in the players' salaries (which, by rule, would occur in Year 3 of any Arenas Rule contract) was compressed into a single year rather than spread over two years. In fact, Lin originally agreed to a four-year deal that the Knicks openly said they were going to match. It was the subsequent revision of Lin's offer sheet to a three-year deal that caused all the "drama" with him and the Knicks.

As for Dragic, the breaking point was not necessarily the fourth year itself (again, Lin was originally offered a fourth year, albeit at a slightly smaller annual salary). It was the PLAYER OPTION in Year 4. As a practical matter, a player option is a losing proposition. Either (A) the player under-performs and exercises the option (leaving the team with a subpar player on a bloated contract) or (B) the player out-performs the contract, opts out, and the team is left to once again overpay to retain the player's services. That is why Daryl Morey has NEVER given one to a player. Ever. Not even Harden got a player option, although I imagine that Morey would be willing to give a player option to a superstar if need be.

So, I think you may be reading too much into the "fourth year" angle.

11. dlite316

dlite316 Member

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Thanks for the great read Bima!

So let`s see if I get this right. Let`s say we want to get a player the max, for example Josh Smith, without any trades happening, we would have to waive players to get it done (so we don`t have enough with the current contract situation - only about 12 million). The players with non guaranteed contracts are Delfino, Smith and Machado - together their contract is worth approximately 4.5 million dollars.

So without any trades, if we want to offer the max, we will have to cut Delfino, right?

What about the rookie deals (I´m looking at you Royce White) - could we get rid of them, or would they still count against the cap?

And what exactly is the super max? Why are they eligible for a higher max contract?

Anyways, if we can`t get a star at the trade deadline, we will probably try several things to get rid of some of our PFs to get more flexibility (and hopefully a nice draft pick or a good expiring contract in return) - I´m sure Morey would love to get a shot at Dwight and CP3 no matter how small the odds may be.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'll try to address your questions:

So without any trades, if we want to offer the max, we will have to cut Delfino, right?

Yes, most likely, although the Rockets could be close to the max amount for players with 0 to 6 years of experience even with Delfino.

What about the rookie deals (I´m looking at you Royce White) - could we get rid of them, or would they still count against the cap?

The 2012 draft picks and Motiejunas all have guaranteed contracts through next season, so you couldn't just waive one of them to make more room this summer.

And what exactly is the super max? Why are they eligible for a higher max contract?

The CBA allows for players making salaries that (for one reason or another) exceed the maximum salary for players at their level of experience to make a starting salary on a new contract up to 105% of their salary in the prior season. That means that guys like Howard and Paul are not forced to take pay cuts from their prior year's salaries in order to sign a new contract.

Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That helps a lot! Thanks Bima!

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It will be interesting if Morey blows his cap load this offseason on a guy like Smith (or maybe even Bynum), when a real prize in Love would be available the year after.

Next couple of years are going to be very very interesting GM wise.

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Kevin Love cannot become a free agent until 2015.

17. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Exelent post Bima.
    I see some great trades before trade deadline!!!

18. amaru

amaru Member

Great article....hopefully this puts and end to the whole "We are paying Harden $80 million" this season talk.

Harden is make a tad under 6 million this season and for what he brings that is a STEAL.

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Thanks. Very informative. I'm a cga and all those numbers still give me headaches lol...

Seeing Parsons' salary vs. White's salary make me :mad::mad::mad:

20. jocar

jocar Member