1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 5/14/2018 (Western Conference Finals, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 9, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Transition D is typically related to focus and effort.

2. j@amc

j@amc Member

This will be a fun series, I think. Here's my way-to-early list of little things to watch out for:

1. Curry guarding Ariza. I think GS will try this as a strategy to hide Curry and put more size on Harden and CP3. My guess is also that they'll fight hard over screens and try not to switch or leave Ariza to facilitate on an PnR play. The Rockets will counter this fairly easily setting up Ariza for uncontested pick and pop 3s. . . The other tension point, though, is that we'd like Ariza to cover Durant and that matchup will be hard to get on the other end of the floor (because of the cross match up).

2. Klay Thompson on catch and shoot plays. I don't really know how you can disrupt these plays short of barreling over someone. The Rockets might have to do that early in the series to send a message. Short of that, we will have to have perfect switches that deflect the pass. And you risk an easy, uncontested layup from the guy setting the screen. I'm interested to see the game plan here because lots of communication is needed.

3. Capela on the glass. I know Green and Durant will put a body on Clint, but Towns and Gobert couldn't slow down his tips. How will they keep Clint from extending possessions? Will they actually play McGee more minutes?

4. Can we hold everyone else down while Durant goes off? I wish that Trevor or Luc could really affect Durant's shot, but I don't think they can. We can try to make him work hard, but we'll have to live with Durant's shotmaking. However, I do think CP3 can be disruptive against Curry and Harden can stay with Thompson. Is the goal on D to make only one guy beat you?

5. Klay and Iguodala's defense. Harden has shown that he can make the adjustments and make shots over Klay. Since the risk of foul trouble is certainly real, I anticipate in the crunch time that Iguodala will have Harden. This is not an easy matchup, but overall, I still give the edge to Harden. The real issue, then, is the cross matchups like I alluded to above. If Harden is being guarded by Iguodala on one end of the floor but guarding Klay on the other, Harden is going to have to expend a lot of energy.

6. Luc Mbah a Moute. He could be the decisive X factor for the series. Here's why: he can cover LIvingston, Iguodala, Young, or Durant (maybe even Green for stretches). And if he draws Curry (instead of Ariza) Luc can straight line drive and finish with authority. I hope he's healthy because as a 6th man with size against GS, he seems more valuable than Gordon.​

Smacktle, DonKnock, BigMaloe and 9 others like this.
  3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Good post, but I think Gordon is still our main x-factor. The difference between us playing pretty well vs playing historically great with 50 pt quarters is Eric Gordon oozing with confidence and taking and making a bunch of threes. We NEED him to shoot well if we want to beat GS in a series.

Also, look out for a cameo appearance or two from Ryan Anderson. I know regular season is a different story, but he seems to have his best games against the Warriors.

Smacktle, DonKnock, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Can Anderson produce more than 2 points a game?

Can Gordon get his 3s to fall at a respectable clip?

Will Durant continue to shoot 28% from 3?

Will Curry continue to shoot 44% from 3?

Will Capela continue his shot blocking dominance?

And finally....

Is Harden gonna show he’s built for this?

We’re in for a wild ride folks, hang on.

Smacktle, BigMaloe, bro2044 and 2 others like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Just bought my tickets..im ready for Monday

Smacktle, djperm, DonKnock and 8 others like this.
  8. steveng125

steveng125 Member

He lost a step still a good defender just not as good in past years. Harden developed more offensive moves, so he shouldn't have a problem getting buckets.

Smacktle, djperm, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  9. Mattician

Mattician Member

Winning game one would be a huge confidence boost. For a number one seed? Yes.

Smacktle, djperm, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Man after my last final today, was talking to some of my classmate, couldn't convince any of them why the Rockets had a solid chance of winning. All they said was who's gonna guard Durant? Harden's a choker, and klay is gonna lock him down. All da same rubbish, annoying as hell. i hope rockets win

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a series where I wish we had a Shane Battier in his prime. Not only the defense but the ability to take charges. A real lost art in today's NBA.

Smacktle, Rox11 and amaru like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you mean 3 and D players. there's quite a few of those. PJ, ariza, moute all play that shane battier role for houston

Smacktle and macho GRANDE like this.
  13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No. I'm specifically talking about players that know how to get in front, plant feet and sell a charge.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. SteveFTB

SteveFTB Member

You think that we can win? Honestly. Not game 1, i'm talking about the series

15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I think it was more a case of forcing scrubs to beat us and they were successful at times....but the fact remains that the other than 2 or 3 close games, the Rockets have won in dominating fashion....

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

i still dont follow. all 3 of those guys take charges, especially PJ

djperm and BigShasta like this.
  17. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Time for the Rockets to unleash our secret weapon.. Our Durant Stopper! 7 foot Shot Blocker Zhou Qi !!

18. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

I hate media saying we don't have a chance. **** lets not play the games and give them the championship. We are the only ****ing team in the NBA that can beat the Warriors. I wish game was sooner so I don't have to freaking hear BS on Radio and TV and let the game decide for itself.

Smacktle likes this.
  19. UrbanEnterprise

I think we can. We certainly are capable. Would I bet money on it, nope. My expectations are we lose in 6.

Just because I feel we will lose doesn't mean I don't believe we can win.

Home court, hungry superstars (1 MVP) , great defense, bench firepower, Rising defensive anchor. Those are our advantages

Coaching, rotations, length, 2 superstars, great shooting, proven defensive anchor, experience

Those are Warriors advantages.

We have the pieces to win this series. I still think Warriors take it, I certainly do not think they will dominate like alot media saying. It won't be easy for the Warriors.

I do feel like the media in this aspect, Harden and Paul have to prove it first.

While 50-5 looks good.

24-3 in the playoffs for the Warriors with KD is very scary. The good news is they have never faced a juggernaut like us before with home court to boot.

20. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

I would let Draymond and AI shoot all day, rather have those guys shooting then the other 3